Selfish Act of the Month

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Selfish Act of the Month

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:16 pm

I just used the word "selfish" in another post and it reminded me of a maneuver I saw yesterday at a tiny local Post Office. Granted, the ability to park within 30' of the door is limited, however, there are at least four spots across the wide two-lane street. Three, because I parked in one.
The drive-through drop box is positioned to the side of PO on a narrow drive, just wide enough to get two cars by, so it makes me crazy when people park along the building because it's really tight, but whatever...
Yesterday, a young woman parked just beyond the drop-box, far enough so she could open her door to get out and remove a package from her vehicle, then come into the PO to mail it.
I was flabbergasted and while I waited in line and she started filling out a form for the package, I asked if the vehicle was hers because she had parked in the way. First she said yes, then she said she didn't know it wasn't a parking space. I said it wasn't, that she was blocking people wanting to mail letters. I expected her to run out and move it, but no, she kept filling out forms. By now the agent was making eyes at me :twisted:
The woman then muttered something about not being able to find another place to park. I stepped up to the agent who was suppressing a grin, but not an eye-roll, dropped my money and large envelope and said, "Evidently" as I left. I wish I'd told her to her face that was the most selfish act of the month I'd seen, but the month is only half done. Grrrrrr.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Selfish Act of the Month

Postby KathyK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Unfortunately, there are, have been, and always will be self-centered, clueless people in the world. Let's hope she's not raising children for whom she's modeling this behavior.

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Thank God there are people that still give a crap about others.

In my housing plan the elementary school is right across the street from the club house and a parking lot. Do these parents park in the lot, heck NO, they part in the street get their kids out of the car stand around bull crapping barely paying attention to their kids and we drivers have to maneuver around them in the morning.

Park in the lot! No, they put out an orange cone for us to slow down. There is still construction so big trucks are coming and going and we all have to make way for their cars and minivans parked in the street!

Rant over!

Actually I think I may complain to the board and ask that they have hem park in the lot. First of all, our township has a no parking on the street ordinance which no one follows anyway.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:04 pm

Last night I went to our small, local grocery store. The parking lot is relatively small (compared to the big box stores) but regardless, I always park faaaaaaaaarrrrr out in the parking lot, because it's good exercise to walk, and I am grateful I am healthy enough TO walk across the parking lot. There was a VERY expensive car, not technically parked in the handicapped spot because she was parked on the lines next to the handicapped spot. Her car contained no indication of handicap, no plates, placard, etc. The lady handed some money to a child of about 8 and sent her into the store to purchase something while she waited in the car. Evidently the child was taking too long, as the lady got out of the car several times (the car is running) and walked over to the store and peered through the windows looking for the child. I heard her say to the child when she came out "what took so long?!?!?!"

Great lesson to teach a child.

Benatus
Greenie

Postby Benatus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:28 pm

I have to admit, I love living in a smallish town where people are pretty nice. I mean, there's Lynchian dystopia as in every small town, but people hold doors and have nice conversations.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”