Unbelievably, my bad luck continues ... now Jet. (Reinjured, and now Pippa, too!)

DJR
500 post plus club

Unbelievably, my bad luck continues ... now Jet. (Reinjured, and now Pippa, too!)

Postby DJR » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:51 am

I cannot believe how horrible this year has been for my beloved horses.

First Eowyn (yearling Hano/Shire homebred filly) suffered a significant laceration to her right flank which healed over six weeks after becoming infected (despite antibiotics) and dehiscing. She’s fine functionally now, although her gorgeousness is now marred by a significant linear scar on that flank.

Then at the end of June Panache (Argentinian WBx who I rescued as a rain-rotty long yearling and trained myself) suddenly colicked and died later that evening from a nephrosplenic entrapment. He was only rising 8 yrs old (his birthday was in August) and was set to debut at Second Level through the summer.

Only two weeks later, as everyone knows, Finn (5 yr old Hano/Shire homebred gelding) had that incredibly awful & huge injury to his left shoulder which is still healing but at least it’s on the home stretch and he’s been off stall rest for a couple of weeks now.

Now, as of yesterday, Jet, my unicorn, once-in-a-lifetime 14 yr old Friesian/Percheron gelding, came up lame in his LF. I cold hosed him, wrapped him, and put him in a stall until later today when my vet could come out and have a look. I had a gut feeling that it wasn’t good, and I was right. Ultrasound confirmed a suspensory ligament injury. He’s now on stall rest for at least a month, cold hosing, daily wraps, anti-inflammatories, and we’re arranging shockwave therapy as soon as possible. Return to work will be slow & very gradual/graduated. As many of you know, this sort of injury can turn into the “gift that keeps on giving” down the road with pesky unsoundness showing up here & there. But, at least we caught it early and it isn’t severe from the appearance on ultrasound, so he has the best possible chance he can have to fully recover.

And here I thought we’d be schooling PSG this winter. :(

Here he is getting his legs ultrasounded:
0E8F488D-CD63-4CAA-9F42-8956D2F0F6D2.jpeg
0E8F488D-CD63-4CAA-9F42-8956D2F0F6D2.jpeg (156.39 KiB) Viewed 18324 times

Now, for the first time in over a decade, I have NO horses to ride. I had three horses to ride in June, now none. At least Finn is on the tail end of his rehab so I’ll be VERY slowly bringing him back to work through October and seeing how he does with that.

My heart feels unspeakably heavy & sad. Jet is my “one in a million” horse, and he’s had so many successes in his career. I truly hope that his recovery & rehab go well.

Back to cleaning stalls, daily leg wraps, daily cold hosing, medication (anti-inflammatory meds) ... *big big sigh* ...
Last edited by DJR on Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Re: Unbelievably, my bad luck continues ... now Jet.

Postby Koolkat » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:59 am

I'm so sorry, DJR. You're "taking care of" skills are being way overutilized these days. On an upbeat note, I had a mare suffer a moderate high front suspensory strain, and after going through ESWT, recovered very well from that injury. Donkey is working overtime these days.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:18 am

Koolkat wrote:I'm so sorry, DJR. You're "taking care of" skills are being way overutilized these days. On an upbeat note, I had a mare suffer a moderate high front suspensory strain, and after going through ESWT, recovered very well from that injury. Donkey is working overtime these days.

Thanks for those words of encouragement & hope. I’m soaking up all the positivity I can!

Yes, that poor donkey ... he needs a medal!

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby blob » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:43 am

Ugh, DJR, so sorry to hear this. You've had a hell of a series of bad luck.

Like Koolkat, I've had experiences with horses coming back 110% after suspensory injuries, so I am most optimistic that Jet will be back to tip top form soon. Sending you lots of jingles.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:57 am

Ugh, I'm so sorry! Jingling for Jet; with you caring for him he has the best chances of a full recovery. I hope this is just a blip and he is back at full force soon!
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:49 am

That is rotten luck, DJR, and certainly not the news you want to hear.

But, I have also had a good experience healing a front suspensory. Walker did a pretty bad job on his, oh, ten years ago now. We did stall rest and shockwave and the full handwalking and slow rehab deal. It took time, but he hasn't had any further problems from it.

My single biggest piece of advice once you are off stall rest is to take it slowly... take any rehab protocol you are given and add at least 50% more time to each stage, and don't let anyone else interfere in your management of the recovery.

Give the donkey an extra carrot from me.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:34 am

So sorry!! What bad luck. Really hoping for an uneventful, full recovery for Jet.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:06 pm

Not the update we want to read, DJR. Glad you caught it early.

FWIW, my observations of healed suspensory injuries at an eventing facility echo what Moutaineer writes: The people who add 50-100% more time to recovery have the best results.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:10 pm

oh no, really? that is indeed a bad run. I'm so sorry to hear of this....!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:42 pm

You have had way more than your share of rotten luck, DJR. Hoping hard that Jet has a full recovery. If anyone can do the best for him, it is you.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:55 pm

Oh, man, I am so sorry.

He is in good hands, and you'll get through this, but I understand how crushing it is to have another, and to have your aspirations delayed as well.

Ugh, just....sympathy hugs. I've been there, it's awful.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Hate those suspensory injuries, hope he rehabs well, but yes, i am sure you are in it for at least a year! I am sorry, and hope he comes back super sound.

I rehabbed a mare and all the walk under saddle work we had to do had her super supple and through and really boded well for her upper level work

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks everyone. It's definitely true how amazing walk work is for more than just rehabbing tendons & ligaments. When I think about it that way, I eagerly anticipate it! It's a nice way to cast a more positive spin on an otherwise shitty situation.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:46 pm

I am so sorry to hear you are dealing with an injury to another horse - and one that is under saddle. Last Wednesday, my guy was lame with a swollen hind ankle - did not want to bear weight on it. Perfectly fine the day before when Chiro visited to adjust him - so it happened during turnout at night. Maybe he spooked and spun on his hind running across the paddock. I could area on ground where tore up from a run. I started him on bute for few days with daily poultice wrap. Some stall rest and kept in at night. He is finally putting weight on it walking but still some minor swelling and heat. Calling the vet today to get her input. :(

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:11 pm

Horses can be such a joy and such a heartbreak. You have had way too much of the latter.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:57 pm

I'm so sorry DJR! Jingles for quick and full healing. No experience with much with suspensory issue other than the slight tweak that Joplin did to her RH last year in the pasture. She was in for 2 weeks and then back at work pretty quickly. No tear just slight strain.

Was there a defect in the suspensory ligament?

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:23 am

khall wrote:I'm so sorry DJR! Jingles for quick and full healing. No experience with much with suspensory issue other than the slight tweak that Joplin did to her RH last year in the pasture. She was in for 2 weeks and then back at work pretty quickly. No tear just slight strain.

Was there a defect in the suspensory ligament?

Thankfully, no. It looks like a diffuse injury. No core lesion.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:09 pm

well crap. I am so sorry to read your update. I get it. So sorry.

IME his recovery should go well. Youre a good nurse, with a good vet, you have eyes and a brain and good skills.

Will be watching for cheerful updates >;->

khall

Postby khall » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:00 pm

That is what Joplin was dealing with. Suspensory and DDF right rear. Vet said it was an injury seen when the fetlock is hyper flexed i.e. toe raised too high. She healed well and quickly. Jingles that Jet heals quickly and completely.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:00 am

I'm so, so, sorry. What a year! The loss to colic is just so damn horrible too.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:50 pm

DJR your year has been what I call a “shitstival” - festival of crap. I’m so sorry. I hope Jet heals quickly and profoundly and remembers every nuance of his training afterwards.

Hugs!

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 pm

I'm starting to realize just how long 6-12 months will be. Jet reinjured the leg about 10 days ago so he's back on strict stall rest until the swelling & sensitivity improves (which it already has a fair bit, but not back to normal).

I was just at the Ingrid Klimke masterclass held at Caledon Equestrian Park (near Toronto, Ontario), and some of the tips she passed on during the dressage day made me SO itchy to go try it on Jet ... except ...

*sigh* At least I have one horse to ride now that Finn is back under saddle. But he's a green bean (5 yrs old, and crooked as all sin after his shoulder horror story) so at least I can use Ingrid's very wise young horse training tips on him and will just have to be patient about the canter pir work, and flying change work, etc., etc.

#healJetheal

DJR
500 post plus club

Re: Unbelievably, my bad luck continues ... now Jet. (Reinjured, and now Pippa, too!)

Postby DJR » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:42 pm

The nonstop bad luck carries on at my farm ...

Last week, I discovered my Hano/TB filly, Pippa, all swollen just above her left knee:
PippaInjury1.jpg
PippaInjury1.jpg (102.48 KiB) Viewed 17612 times

I had a closer look and discovered this 1 cm diameter puncture wound:
PippaInjury2.jpg
PippaInjury2.jpg (68.33 KiB) Viewed 17612 times

It has remained pretty swollen, but fortunately she's sound on it.
PippaInjury3.jpg
PippaInjury3.jpg (102.2 KiB) Viewed 17612 times

When I explored the wound, there was no joint space communication so most of the swelling is likely from the bursa. She's been on oral antibiotics and it seems to be very gradually resolving.

COULD THE BAD MOJO PLEASE STOP?!!! :o

StraightForward

Re: Unbelievably, my bad luck continues ... now Jet. (Reinjured, and now Pippa, too!)

Postby StraightForward » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Oh no, I am so sorry! You deserve a break like no other. I hope Pippa heals up quickly, and Jet's reinjury is only a minor setback at most.

I'm so familiar with the feeling of wanting to get on and try new things. Right now I'm just doing 12 minutes of trot and 20 minutes of walking under saddle with Annabelle. Trying to make the best of it by fixing my annoying tendency to give away my left shoulder, and also focus on getting her straight and riding good corners.
Keep calm and canter on.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:58 pm

WTF???? Sending you good thoughts, white light, and prayers for better luck.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:26 am

It may be time to consider an exorcism. I hope that at least made you halfway smirk a teeny smile in the midst of all this absurdity. Xan said it best...shitstival for sure. Absolutely nuts.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:48 am

:? :? The universe owes you a huge break.

Healing jingles for every pony that needs it.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Poor baby - ARGHHH!! Sending you GOOD Karma for the future and healing jingles for your little filly.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:13 pm

Jingles for Jet and Pippa and for YOU!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:05 pm

I bet you just feel like running away! So sorry.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:26 pm

Oh, Good Lord. Jingles.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Jingles! What rotten luck :(
"Fix things going forward." LR

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”