How to safely wrap hind leg and avoid getting kicked

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

How to safely wrap hind leg and avoid getting kicked

Postby Josette » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:59 pm

I've been applying poultice and wrapping my guy this past week for hind ankle injury. Last night while squatting next to him - he suddenly kicked out and I was struck. Not sure whether I was knocked over or took a side blow to the head but my right temple area is very sore. It looked like my left arm had a hoof print and maybe I was knocked sideways hitting my head on the floor. It happened so fast my concern was to crawl to get away from his feet.

So does anyone have any helpful advise to safely wrap a hind leg to avoid getting kicked? Years ago, I had better reflexes but it is harder to bend down to wrap and be agile too. I actually struggle sometimes getting up from that squat position. I have to do this alone. He never did this before but he is very fussy about applying fly spray to hind legs or spraying water on hind legs. So maybe he just had enough of the fussing and let one fly. I do not want to escalate the behavior but need to safely continue applying medications and wrapping.

Chisamba

Re: How to safely wrap hind leg and avoid getting kicked

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:09 pm

It's quite a vulnerable job, wrapping hind legs. If I have hind end sensitive horse I use a boot instead of a wrap where possible.

But, do not squat, stand close press your hip into the thigh, and bend over from the waist so you are more mobile and agile. Wrap firmly but dont be slow.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Would quickwraps of some type do what you need to do? That might at least help the process go faster, and without needing to be all the way on the ground.

While doing the post-op care for Tesla's coffin joint surgery, I discovered that a second use for honey is to stick the gauze to the horse so it doesn't fall on the ground and need to be thrown away if the horse fidgets.

Also, I would wear a helmet for protection.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:46 pm

Is there someone who can assist? Either by distracting the horse or handing you everything you need?

Anzia is prone to kicking when I'm doctoring a sore wound, and I've found ways to work quicker. Prep the poultice pad and duct tape/vet wrap so it can be slapped on quickly while leaning down (don't squat!) Stand, give her a scratch for not kicking. Then wrap if she's calm.

If I need to clean the wound, I'll do that, then give her a 20-30 minute break to eat grass and relax before slapping on the new bandage. Cleaning is the ouchy part for her, and I pick up her leg for scrubbing so I'm standing, then put it down to rinse.
Last edited by heddylamar on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Thank you very much for the recommendations! Very helpful and I will certainly change my technique. My head is still pretty sore today so thank goodness for those rubber matts in the aisle. I'm guessing I hit the floor because no dirt on my head - but really don't know what happened because I was so dazed getting off the ground trying to balance myself.

I'm alone as DH away on business. Seriously scary when these things happen. :o (Very glad he is barefoot behind!!)

He got a cold lazer treatment the day before from Chiro vet and tomorrow my regular vet will do ultrasound. He is walking very well and weight bearing now. Trot was quite lame for Chiro vet exam.

Yesterday very hot heat day and today 30 degrees cooler and FINALLY some light RAIN! :)

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Josette, it's quite possible you suffered a mild concussion, so consider having someone at the barn (or around) when you do the wraps. Yes, it's a pain but let someone know the situation so you can have some backup monitoring. Also, important to keep a check on how you are feeling over the next day or so. These (possible) "closed-head" type dings can creep up on you.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Please listen to texsuze, as it does sound like mild concussion territory.

I know many people don't have this option, but if you have someone skilled who can hold the *other* hind leg up while you wrap, that can be helpful.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:44 pm

If it was me I'd clicker train him to keep his foot on a stand while I wrapped it, because my experience has been that when their hoof is on a stand and they can't cooperate any longer they just put it down rather than kicking out. Course the treats for keeping the hoof on the stand probably help with their frame of mind too, since they're eager to cooperate to earn treats, rather than cooperating to avoid aversives.

If that's not possible then I'd probably tie the hoof up (side line), which wouldn't completely prevent him from kicking but would limit his range.

There are very few horses that I'll squat next to because it puts me in such a vulnerable position.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:37 pm

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:24 am

What Piedmont said. But someone to lift any other foot would help. While horses can balance on alternate feet, they don't have to coordination to kick with the alternate foot.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:12 am

I'm so glad you're ok! And so glad you reached out for suggestions...have had patients in rehab with severe head injuries from this situation. Helmet is a fantastic idea. As is a second set of hands. And longer term, the clicker. Having my guys at home, I have had to pay our farm sitter on a couple of occasions when I've needed a second set of hands as DH is not comfortable with holding or handling if things might go off-script. Best of luck with the recovery!

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:02 am

Having someone hold up the same side front foot which is much easier than holding up other hind is just as effective. For right now I would just get through this injury and not try to do any training. One other thing if you cannot get someone to help with the wrapping would be to get a clamp and use it as a twitch that does not have to be held.

something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Spring-Clamp-Lar ... 175&sr=8-5

and of course please wear a helmet!!

Once you finish with the injury and can do some training you may want to find someone who knows about roping feet of the horse. It is a good way to desensitize them to things on their legs. You can even start by using a pool noodle and desensitize him to that on his back legs, using it to rub him etc. Kicking at people is a huge no no in my book and I work with all of my horses to be comfortable with me handling their back legs in many many different ways.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:05 am

If it comes to it, tying up a front leg with a stirrup leather is quite easy.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:22 am

Oh that is a good idea chisamba!! I know the basics of that maneuver but have never used it myself.

I most often end up doing stuff by myself and have had to learn some out of the box tricks to get things done. Joplin hated having her temp taken, she would cow kick at you. I found out if I snub her up to the bars on her stall and then used the rope to run along her side hugging her to the side of the stall and holding that hip she would not kick at me. Of course when I had some holding help she was fine too.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:51 am

Tonight I removed the wraps and reapplied the poultice with no issues. I took my time giving some Tum mint treats in between each step. I stood the way Chisamba described which made me feel far less vulnerable and was able to apply the standing wraps - no reactions at all. He kept nodding off for the farrier during the morning visit.

This pony has had legs wraps applied on countless occasions and stands very polite. However, he can be quirky with what upsets him. He does have issues with fly spray and hosing off his hind legs as he will move about then eventually stand still. Never kicks out during any of these tasks. I can body clip him with loud clippers with the mint treats - however, he will not allow clipping below knees or hocks. I don't force it as he is fine being trimmed with the scissors.

I don't know what was the trigger but he is generally very cooperative and okay with having things done to him. Very good now getting blood drawn and shots too - very frightened in the past. He does trust me - but it goes to show I must always be aware and careful for a reaction. I learned my lesson and I was VERY LUCKY. Thank you all - I really appreciate your recommendations and knew you all had the expertise and experience to give me this guidance. :)

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Nothing to do with wrapping legs, but always wear a helmet when you are working around their feet or legs and you're in a vulnerable position.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:56 pm

There doesn't need to be a logical trigger. Please ensure you follow up for concussion, it is highly likely you were concussed and the brain is very delicate... You only get one of them, look after it!

I got knocked out by a horse who kicked me while I was trimming it's hind leg. I had 2 weeks completely off work then another 8 weeks returning to full time; 6 weeks no contact with my horses except patting them over a fence/gate; loss of income, medical expenses, etc. I got off very, very lightly as the horse could easily have killed me but probably just lightly cow-kicked.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”