Why I do this DDBB

Chancellor
Site Admin

Why I do this DDBB

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Good morning,
I sent a PM to someone on this board asking them to not use this forum as a place to get more people onto Facebook or Instagram as a place to discuss training etc. It wasn't an unpleasant PM. Just saying not to use this forum that way.
She responded by saying "FINE. I just won't use your forum anymore."
Listen, folks. I started this board back up because we had a nice community of people. I met a lot of people in real life who have become lifelong friends.
This board costs me around $1000 a year. I do this because of the nice community not because I am trying to profit from it.
Membership here is voluntary.
If you think you are somehow punishing me because you are leaving the board, you are not.

musical comedy
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Why I do this DDBB

Postby musical comedy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:52 pm

Some people cannot handle disagreement or criticism.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:17 pm

It was exactly that sort of unpleasantness that led to the ultimate demise of UDBB (and much, much more that happened behind the scenes). Very unnecessary & uncalled for. I, for one, appreciate that you got DDBB going again and are doing such a wonderful job managing it. Thank you.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:46 pm

DJR wrote:It was exactly that sort of unpleasantness that led to the ultimate demise of UDBB (and much, much more that happened behind the scenes). Very unnecessary & uncalled for. I, for one, appreciate that you got DDBB going again and are doing such a wonderful job managing it. Thank you.

I think I am just grouchy today. For the most part, this has been an easy venture and I don't mind it.
This one just pushed me....as if this person was doing ME a favor being on this board. I don't like entitled people.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:12 pm

I really appreciate this forum. I'm on some non-horse related FB groups, and it is impossible to have meaningful conversations with the way the post threading works. The content quality here is also WAY higher, even if quantity is less than some people might like. It also makes it possible to follow others' progress over time, which has been great for me. FB is more valuable as a brag board, and I'm not on IG, but imagine it's the same. I didn't feel like it was the place to discuss problems, unless it's to draw sympathy exclusively.

So thank you, Chancellor!
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:34 pm

Your efforts are definitely appreciated. I find forums like these so much easier to negotiate and have real conversations than Face book or instagram; so, thank you.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:52 pm

(((((Chancellor)))))

Don't let entitled a**hats get under your skin. We appreciate you more than you will ever know, and I suppose we should (or I should) probably say thank you much more often. So for all the years yuo've been doing this for us....

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 pm

Adding my heartfelt THANKS to Chancellor. I only post occasionally, but read a lot, and really appreciate the 'threaded' discussions, so much easier to read and follow along with than FB (no clue about IG, I've never been there).

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:34 pm

I didn't really post this for the accolades, seriously.
I don't understand the desire to discuss things on Facebook (although I am on there). The threaded discussions on BBs are easier to understand in my mind.
I enjoy this community and have even learned a few things here. But let's just remember that this is a community. And no one poster makes this community. It is ALL of us....

demi

Postby demi » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:03 pm

I definitely have benefited from following the progress of horses and riders on DDBB’s training forum. I know, for myself, I have to work at making my posts understandable, and I don’t always succeed. But because I know how much effort it takes me, I can really appreciate when the our posters take the time and effort to post quality reports (and some great pics!). I too, appreciate the “community “ aspect of DDBB. Our ups and downs are very real and when someone is down, I find it encouraging that someone else is up. It reminds me that in real life, that’s just the way it is. Up and down, one step forward, two back. I am very encouraged by this little group of riders who don’t give up when things are tough.

We’ve been living in a rental while we are renovating our old farmhouse. It’s hectic. That, on top of all the usual life stuff, plus weird weather, plus old age, yada yada, has made it hard to keep up with my training AND post about. I’m still training tho, and will hopefully post (with pics!) again soon.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Yes, but you deserve accolades. It is work. And most of us know how things went on past and other boards present and the mess they are. That's why I am here now.

Just in thinking through life lately and how people react to things, it doesn't matter what you do or say. People are going to do what they want for themselves. If they want to get affronted, they will. If they want to be nasty, they will. If they want to converse, they will. There is really very little anyone can do about it. So, I am working very hard on keeping that focus in things.

I'm just getting a sense of who everyone is here (I'm rather slow) but am trying to get who is doing what and the struggles. It feels like a nice community. This is the community you made.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:09 pm

I intensely dislike people who announce "I'm leaving!" Just go.

There aren't any FB groups comparable to this , or any other BB. The threaded format allows for much deeper and thoughtful discussion.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:08 pm

PaulaO wrote:I intensely dislike people who announce "I'm leaving!" Just go.

Right? Who needs the drama???

blob

Postby blob » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Right after udbb closed it was nice to connect with folks via FB, but no fb group I've found is really a good place for discussion. There is a breeder's group that is probably the best in terms of that, but it's a very specific topic.

I'm grateful for this place and the work that you put into it

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:36 pm

I was on that instagram/fb thread and while I wasn't intending to discuss training, I love photos! And people put up different things on those pages than what would go here.
Apologies if it seemed to be detracting use of DDBB. I really like this forum. I think the FB thing was more for personalised discussion of training (it's easy to share vid on messenger) but we can do that by PM here.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:52 pm

Flight you didn't start the thread. Nor are you getting mad when I said not to use the forum that way.
You are fine.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:46 am

I'm sorry this happened. I thought that post came very close to advertising, even though nothing was actually being sold. And the response to your PM was quite immature. We all appreciate the board and are grateful to you for providing it to us.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:20 am

Sense of entitlement much? That is just ridiculous. It's your board your rules and we all need to abide by them and yes deep thanks for providing a nice place for those of us who want to connect because of our love of dressage and horses.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:25 am

PaulaO wrote:I intensely dislike people who announce "I'm leaving!" Just go.

There aren't any FB groups comparable to this , or any other BB. The threaded format allows for much deeper and thoughtful discussion.

That was all about COTH. One of the notorious stalkers on dressage who constantly behaved badly would constantly announce she was leaving, and then come back. Finally in one of her tirades she dared the mods to ban her for it, and the mod came on hilariously and did.

That's why I like this page. No stalkers and trolls.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:21 pm

blob wrote:Right after udbb closed it was nice to connect with folks via FB, but no fb group I've found is really a good place for discussion. There is a breeder's group that is probably the best in terms of that, but it's a very specific topic.

invite them here and use the breeding forum.....or we could invent another forum.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Chancellor wrote:
blob wrote:Right after udbb closed it was nice to connect with folks via FB, but no fb group I've found is really a good place for discussion. There is a breeder's group that is probably the best in terms of that, but it's a very specific topic.

invite them here and use the breeding forum.....or we could invent another forum.

My real point was just to say that fb does not at all replace what we have here and so I am glad we have this space.

Dresseur
500 post plus club

Postby Dresseur » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:12 pm

I for one, really enjoy this board and the input and camaraderie. Thank you Chancellor!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Flight wrote:I was on that instagram/fb thread and while I wasn't intending to discuss training, I love photos! And people put up different things on those pages than what would go here.

Same. So sorry Chancellor for any role I played!
I'm FB friends with a few members here and really enjoy viewing their photos and posts and keeping up with them in way, but it would never replace this board for me!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:44 am

PhoenixRising wrote:
Flight wrote:I was on that instagram/fb thread and while I wasn't intending to discuss training, I love photos! And people put up different things on those pages than what would go here.

Same. So sorry Chancellor for any role I played!
I'm FB friends with a few members here and really enjoy viewing their photos and posts and keeping up with them in way, but it would never replace this board for me!

NO APOLOGIES are necessary. I wasn't even that mad at the person who started the thread. I just said that I didn't appreciate her trying to get people to her facebook and instagram page. It was her saying "FINE....I'm leaving" that pissed me off. As if she was somehow helping me by being on this board.

I like seeing photos too and I am on Facebook. But I wouldn't dream of going onto COTH and saying "Hey, if you want to discuss training, please find me on facebook or instagram" COTH provides a training forum as does this one.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:16 pm

Thank you for starting and maintaining this board. I read it every day even though I rarely post. I am so glad you did this after the UDBB and ya know good riddance to bad rubbish. >;->

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:19 am

Thanks Ryeissa, I should have spoken up earlier in defence of Linden too. She's not bad rubbish, she has a lot of good to give. I understand that it looked like drawing interest away from the forum but it wasn't meant to do that I'm sure.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:38 am

Thanks, Chance, for managing this forum. Glad there is a civilized place that we can get input, feedback, recommendations, support for all things horse and barn, especially when those horse health problems arise! Not to mention a good place to vent stuff (within reason) :)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:49 pm

Ryeissa wrote:I don't think Linden was ready to be here. Maybe she can come back in time. I really value her experience.

She is not banned. It was her decision to "leave" even though I can see that she has been on the board since her dramatic goodbye.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Chancellor wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:I don't think Linden was ready to be here. Maybe she can come back in time. I really value her experience.

She is not banned. It was her decision to "leave" even though I can see that she has been on the board since her dramatic goodbye.

Well I for one hope that she returns to posting. I do think she has a lot to contribute. She comes at it from a different perspective and I think that's a bonus. While I hope she respects the opportunity you've provided us all, I also hope that as a supportive community we can forgive, forget, and move on because in all honesty that is what makes this a safe environment yet still a place to learn and grow in our [my] chosen addiction LOL ;)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:45 pm

I did not know who the person was, and the topic of this post was just about Chancellor's reaction. I do not think it was appropriate to share personal information about a person. I'm sure most people are not aware of many posts. I do hope she returns and feels this is a good place.

Let's get back to discussing what we all love in this safe place. I've got a new idea. :)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Ryeissa wrote:All the news about Linden that was deleted by Chancellor here where I posted backgound as to why Linden MAY have acted that way was public knowledge that she shared. I did not converse with her by PMs nor FB.

I was not sharing anything she didn't already tell us.....

Also, I wish you would have asked me before editing my posts. You were obviously upset and I was trying to explain why Linden acted as she did. I though it would help everyone feel better.....

I appreciate the board, and this was all done sincerely to try to smooth it over.

Yeah, I am not going to ask anyone about editing their posts if I think they are inappropriate.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:12 pm

I am sorry that it appeared that I called Linden rubbish. I didn't know the person referenced and was just being flippant. I like Lindens posts and hope she feels appreciated enough to join in again.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:25 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3519

Yay! Hi guys! so I am doing so much better they discharged me from the full care lockdown hospital I had been in all this time,to let me live at my cousin's house until I'm 100% and can live on my own.

Haven't seen Coal Harbour in over a year, and you can imagine how difficult it is for me to have had the opportunity to buy a horse like him, a horse that has nearly NO flaws, and watch someone else ride and show him, and clinic him, and show him off to everyone while I just sit and watch from the sidelines. ugh. but yay so happy i am out! how are you all?!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:39 pm

Chancellor, I dont think niceness, or lack of niceness has anything to do with the size of your membership. If it was about being nice there wouldn't be anyone on the other board.

Getting the word out, perhaps. But I do not know how to suggest getting the word out. Have a facebook, Instagram etc group and post a bunch of funny horse stuff and refer back to the forum, this seems to be how most people promote their pages, blogs or maybe even forums.

I want to add my thanks for the work you do, for keeping it civil, and for eradicating spammers!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:46 pm

Would you want to advertise? You can run targeted ads through google, or facebook.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:30 pm

Chisamba wrote:Chancellor, I dont think niceness, or lack of niceness has anything to do with the size of your membership. If it was about being nice there wouldn't be anyone on the other board.

Getting the word out, perhaps. But I do not know how to suggest getting the word out. Have a facebook, Instagram etc group and post a bunch of funny horse stuff and refer back to the forum, this seems to be how most people promote their pages, blogs or maybe even forums.

I want to add my thanks for the work you do, for keeping it civil, and for eradicating spammers!

Thanks Chisamba. Appreciate your kind and thoughtful words. I was originally asking more about how you all found the forum...or how new users actually found the forum.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 am

I found the original udbb by googling something (can't remember what) and a thread on the forum popped up. I don't know if they had optimized search results or not

I found ddbb through Facebook

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:32 am

I started on the old USDF bulletin board. When that became a Y2K casualty, Mark (I think) started UDBB, and I joined that site. Then on to Deanna's site, and eventually here.

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:18 am

Chancellor I apologize for how I responded to your PM - I'm having a hard time still (have been in hospital for a month again) and I wasn't feeling well then. I was very shocked to see your message - it felt like a slap across the face for something I never intended to do. I hope you can accept my apology
"Fix things going forward." LR

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:03 pm

Linden wrote:Chancellor I apologize for how I responded to your PM - I'm having a hard time still (have been in hospital for a month again) and I wasn't feeling well then. I was very shocked to see your message - it felt like a slap across the face for something I never intended to do. I hope you can accept my apology

For the record, it felt like a slap in the face to me to have you come on here and ask to take discussions elsewhere.

That's enough of this discussion

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”