52 Weeks of Eco-Friendly Behavior

Canyon
500 post plus club

52 Weeks of Eco-Friendly Behavior

Postby Canyon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:40 pm

REI sent me this link in a weekly update. The article has some easy, some not-so-easy ideas to improve the world, a step at a time.

https://www.rei.com/blog/stewardship/th ... 676&ev11=1

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: 52 Weeks of Eco-Friendly Behavior

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:33 am

Thanks, I read it, much I do already, but its nice to see eco friendly ideas, although they definitely have their perspectives a bit warped

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:48 pm

REI always has useful tips :)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:55 pm

It was interesting to read this list. We do almost all of these actions all the time, and have for decades. I guess we are pretty old school. Country living is also at play, as we have had to drive our trash and recycling to a county center for the last 30 years. I think this really makes you think about waste management.

Of course, when I have a month like this one where I'm doing 4 plane trips, I think I'm clearly not doing enough for our poor planet!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:41 pm

So wrt to, warped perspective, it takes them 25 to 30 weeks before addressing car pooling, tire pressure and led lights, things that make a huge impact. Much earlier, become vegetarian for a day, negligible impact. Dont was your Jean's for a month, minimal impact.

And we should take this seriously? I mean I like the ideas but perhaps address major idea first
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Chisamba wrote:And we should take this seriously?

I read it as a whole, oddly ordered list.

Great ideas — if you're not already doing nearly all the eco-friendly things — peppered with some weird suggestions*, and lots of on-brand (get outside).

*The jeans thing?! Obviously washing every single wear isn't eco-friendly, or great for the material ... but a whole *warm* month? Why not plan that in the winter, when you're less likely to sweat a lot, if assigning a time frame?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:07 pm

I know I should wash clothes less. They don't always need it, they will last longer, and it will use less electricity. It's a tough habit to break! I even wash my breeches after every wear...

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:47 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I know I should wash clothes less. They don't always need it, they will last longer, and it will use less electricity. It's a tough habit to break! I even wash my breeches after every wear...

I've mastered that particular energy saver, although now that my eyesight is failing I may need to rethink that. I don't use my drier either, except occasionally to remove lint/hair.

I just read something about the push to switch to electricity for heat and cooking, because enough of it is now generated from wind and solar.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:30 am

I need to follow your example a bit more, Kande.

Here in east TN, our electricity is a combo of : nuclear, hydro , solar and COAL. Lots of options, lots of electricity. And our passive solar home is heated/cooled by a heat pump (electricity) plus a wood stove (fuel harvested on site, but emissions available to all).

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:50 am

I generally run my running and riding clothes, and saddle pad (not with the human stuff!) through the wash once a week (summer), or once every other week (winter). The guinea pigs are bedded on towels (v. paper shreds — less dust), so the saddle pads get run with those.

Our green builder has been trying to convince me to switch my stove plans to induction, since we're planning solar, etc. I think he just really wants to build this home 100% off grid :roll: :lol:

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:48 pm

I try very hard to recycle as much as I can. I even take cardboard to my business to be recycled.

A school very close to my home did have huge trash containers for paper products, for some reason it's been removed. It was always full with newspapers, boxes, etc. possibly, they stopped getting paid by the waste company.

The product that irks me the most is plastic!

Why can't our horse supplements be packaged in a paper type product?

I am able to recycle them, but I really wonder how much actually gets recycled?

I have neighbors that never recycle!

I've also switched many light bulbs to leds. We did this at our business and the savings have been huge.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”