Goofy mares

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Goofy mares

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:01 am

What do you do when your pasture mate lies down to roll in the middle of your galloping path? Jump over him, of course.

(No horses injured during this little stunt ...)

Moutaineer

Re: Goofy mares

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:13 am

But your heart was briefly stopped...

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:53 am

Moutaineer wrote:But your heart was briefly stopped...

Yeah ...........

This mare is determined to quadruple the lifetime vet bills of all of my other horses, combined. And somehow still be left standing?!

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:43 am

:o

Would have made a cool photo though! :)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:20 am

When I run into barn family members from Days of Yore when my big boy was just a pup, the story comes up pretty often...my 17hh baby yucking it up in the field at high speeds with his buddies, when his 12hh-ish pony buddy zigged instead of zagged, then stopped. The lesson kids and moms had some grey hairs pop up when my big boy jumped the pony, clean as a whistle. Kind of glad I didn't see that one in person! :shock: Glad all circus members involved in your incident are OK heddy!

Side note...that big baby of mine is now 22 years old, and one of those tiny lesson kids who witnessed it is now in medical school and in her late 20's. How does time do this?!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:47 am

My mare Kea jumped over the wheelbarrow in her doorway to escape from her stall. I was at a boarding barn and she was mad because she had not been turned out for some reason, well while they were chasing her she ran down beside the barn in the narrow gap between the parked cars and the barn, but at the very end was an SUV pulled all the way up to the barn, blocking her escape. She jumped it! so yes, goofy horses jump things lol.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:17 pm

Chisamba wrote:My mare Kea jumped over the wheelbarrow in her doorway to escape from her stall.

Ugh. I was hoping that was a baby thing. Maia did that as a 4 month old. She and her momma were confined to a quadruple-sized stall while Maia was recovering from pneumonia and she had So Much Energy :shock: :roll: It was a leap-splat moment — the barn aisle is asphalt, so she didn't stick the landing for long.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:41 pm

Hedy, I can only hope she is a red headed mare!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:50 pm

What a great circus trick! :P :shock:

Last night I thought Tesla was going to kill the BO's dog. He ran out into the arena while she was loose and discovered that sometimes horses chase HIM! He took a good whack to the shoulder and suddenly decided that maybe he should get on the other side of the fence.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:37 pm

I've had to do that. My stupid dog would get on front of the horses and lay down when they came up on her instead of moving over (while I'm riding and not) so they just jumped over her.

I always ride one and the other is loose. Here is one of mine running down the hill and changing her mind about dive bombing the bull. They live with the cows, and love to scatter the cos and calves by running into them, but are smart enough to know the bull ain't moving. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Keu4tVm-g4E

Oh, all three horses I have are mares. :)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:56 am

We need a mare support group :shock: As do all the dogs, cows, chickens, donkeys, and goats who've been terrorized by our herd of terrorists.

And, yes, red head. Third generation red head :lol:

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:50 am

When we first moved to the farm and cleared/fenced the upper pasture, I was very concerned about the bears which we knew were out and about (and soon discovered, after clearing that pasture that an "animal highway" ran through the upper pasture). One sunny August day, the alpha mare/broodmare was in that upper pasture with her 2 and 1 year old offspring. I was in the living room and looked out the window to see a large black bear entering the upper pasture. I was running to get my shoes, prepared to go mano a mano with the bear. No need. Mama horse (on the other side of pasture), spotted black bear as it came over the hill and immediately laid her ears back, dropped her head and began trotting straight toward it. Youngsters were frozen in place, ears straight up, eyes like saucers. Bear saw mother hell coming on 4 hooves and spun and fled. Mare immediately stopped, stood watching and then dropped her head to graze. Bear still needed to cross pasture, so he made a lateral move down to the fence line and trotted by on his toes, pointedly looking away from the horses. I never worried too much about it again, but both those youngsters started chasing animals whenever they would come into the pasture. There was always a lot of celebratory kicking and squealing when they would run them out. They separated a sow from her 3 cubs once (cubs ran up a large tree in the pasture, sow kept on running), that was a very exciting time for them as they trotted round and round the tree with tails flagged. After a few minutes of chaos, the cubs made a run for it, and everyone went back to grazing. I never knew horses would carry on like that!

Alpha mare was a redhead.

Trixiinthespring2.jpg
Trixiinthespring2.jpg (98.41 KiB) Viewed 8677 times

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: My mare's new favourite thing to do is roll in one of the piles of hay put out for the mares after chasing the other mares away from said pile. She then proceeds to eat from this pile while standing in the middle

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”