Finding gratitude after an otherwise difficult year

DJR
500 post plus club

Finding gratitude after an otherwise difficult year

Postby DJR » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:27 pm

When life keeps handing me lemons, I find that if I don't purposefully look for the positives and focus on what I'm grateful for, then it can be much more miserable to put up with the bad luck.

In that spirit, I'm listing the cr*ppy things that have happened, then balancing them with all the good things that have happened this year (and I'm keeping this horse-related as my cr*p-luck also involved very significant work issues that I won't bore you with here).

The Bad
  • May: my newborn foal, Pippa (Hano x Hano/TB), pranged herself off a page-wire fence at a full gallop, resulting in many deep abrasions, one RIGHT next to her eye, but thankfully nothing permanent. I aged 10 yrs because I was filming her antics when she did it.
  • Three days after the above: my yearling Hano/Shire filly, Eowyn, gashed open her right flank, approximately 14" long, which closed beautifully but then she reopened it so it took six weeks and a round of antibiotics to heal it. She has a permanent scar there which is pretty noticeable, but she is otherwise fine & fully functional.
  • Late June: my gorgeous WBx gelding, Panache, age 7, colicked with a nephrosplenic entrapment and died late that night. I was going to debut him at Second Level and was having *really* great rides on him leading up to this tragedy.
  • Two weeks later: Finn, my homebred Hano/Shire gelding (full sister to Eowyn), suffered a tremendously awful & horrific soft tissue wound to his left shoulder after running into a (blunt, not-sticking-out) hinge bolt. He tore open his shoulder from the point upwards along the shoulder blade to the tune of approximately 24-28" in length, and through two muscle bellies. It took three months of intensive wound care & stall rest for him to heal ... but, miraculously, he did! He has a fair bit of asymmetry if you look at his shoulder blades from above/behind his bum (as his chiro showed me), but is otherwise totally sound. I've been riding him for about a month now. It remains to be seen if he can continue to carriage work, but I'm just grateful that he's healed & sound.
  • Throughout the summer, I tried to get my Shire mare back in foal (to the same stallion, Sir Wanabi). She's never had trouble catching in the past. She missed on the first try, caught on the second try but then resorbed, missed on the third try, then we discovered a probable uterine infection (could also have just been a contaminant) which we have treated. She is open and it's too late to try again this year.
  • On the last day of September, Jet, my beloved Fourth Level Friesian/Perch gelding, age 14, was a tiny bit lame. He's never been lame in his life, so this was unusual. I had the vet out the next day and the ultrasound showed a LF suspensory ligament injury. He was put on stall rest, then short 5-min hand walks after the first 10 days when the swelling/heat had improved, and after shock wave had been started. He then startled just taking him out of his stall (he's normally cool, calm & collected), and landed badly and was instantly ++ lame. Re-ultrasound showed worsening of the original injury. So he's back on stall rest and will likely be out for a year. So much for schooling PSG this winter ... *sigh*.
  • 10 days ago: Pippa had a swollen left knee and I discovered a 1 cm puncture wound on the inside just above the knee (thankfully not communicating with the knee). It's taking its time to resolve, but she's sound on it and is a superstar re: taking her meds and tolerating me cleaning the wound (especially given that she is just 5 months old).

The Good
  • Except for poor Panache, all of the injured horses above are expected to, or already have (miraculously in Finn's case) make/made a full recovery.
  • My daughter, K (age 12), has improved in leaps & bounds this year with her riding, especially since she started taking lessons from my FEI instructor (I had been waiting for her to start lessons with my amazing instructor because it is very $$ per lesson and I wanted my daughter to be a confident intermediate rider to benefit the most from the lessons). It is exciting how talented K seems to be for dressage in particular. She finished her show year as Reserve Champ provincially at Training Level (Jr)!! And that's after only a small handful of shows, too. I'm so proud of her.
  • Finn, who I showed twice before his injury just at Intro, won his division at the level of our local dressage club!! Very decent after only two shows, LOL.
  • At Finn's first jumping show, he won his entire hunter division and placed 1st in every class except one. (My daughter also cleaned up at that show in the same division but for the Jr riders.)
  • Finn also was Grand Champion at the Novice horse division of his first ever CDE (Carriage Driving Event), and the judge felt he definitely has FEI potential in the carriage driving world. (This was literally 3 days before his accident.)
  • Jet's news & awards are the most special to me of my horses. I rode him at Third Level for the first three shows of the year, then moved up to Fourth Level, hence the dual level awards listed here. Note: I didn't show that much, I think I went to 7 shows altogether this season. He never scored below 60% in any of his classes, and most of his scores were in the 64-68% range, resulting in:
    -Champion at both Third & Fourth Levels for our local dressage group
    -Champion at both Third & Fourth Levels as well as Third Level Freestyle for the Ottawa Area Dressage Group (a much bigger group with a lot more competition than our small local group)
    -Champion at Third Level and overall Champion for Freestyles (all levels) at the Ontario Silver Dressage Championships back in September - he earned a 72% for his Third Level FS at that show
    -Champion at both Third & Fourth Levels provincially (all of Ontario)
    -Fourth Level Silver Medal from Dressage Canada for both him, and also for me!!!!
  • This past weekend, my daughter and I got to attend the 2-day Ingrid Klimke masterclass, which was awesome. This is the third masterclass in as many years put on by Caledon Equestrian Park, and we've been to all three (the first was Carl Hester, then Charlotte Dujardin).

So, I'm counting my blessings. And I have a horse to ride again now that Finn is back under saddle. Onward & upward.

Does anyone else want to add to this thread with their own "The Bad/The Good" gratitude list? I know many of us have had our share of struggles to contend with this year!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Finding gratitude after an otherwise difficult year

Postby khall » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:58 pm

Mine are not nearly as extensive as what you have had to deal with DJR, but worrying still.

The uncertain:
Came back from Portugal to find Rip breathing rough in work especially at the canter. Had my local vet take a listen and she wanted me to have him scoped again with the vet who has been dealing with his NCS issues. His scope revealed some spidering that was not there in August and a bit thickening (vet thinks) of the cicatrix webbing that lies just in front of his epiglottis. My local vet had had me up his throat spray and scope vet said to continue and rescope in a month. I do feel he is breathing better now (though with other things his work load has been reduced, at least when I have worked him he is recovering quicker than when I first noticed). Go back for another scope in a week or so.

So please jingle that Rip has responded to the meds and scopes better than the last scope! Alternatives would be to retire him (that would NOT be a good idea for mr needs work to keep weight off and to keep his manners!) or a permanent trach:(

The good:
When he is working he looks great!! He is getting so much more uphill and swung and medium trot!
Joplin continues to be a good girl every time I work with her. She is just a love of a horse and finds this work very easy. I have not been back on in a couple of weeks for various reasons, none because of her.
Gaila has been fun to play with hopping on her bareback some:)
Other horses I help with Juliet had a huge break through in her confidence, she can now trot towards you with both eyes engaged and happy to do so. She had so much remedial work to be done with her over the years and this was one of the more difficult issues with her. In her US and in hand work she has come so far!! Took tracings and her withers have come up so much she has narrowed by and inch each side from engaging her sling.

The frustrations:
Dealing with general contractors and subs in the shop/apartment for my parents. Was supposed to be in by end of September, construction is still not done. It has been a night mare to deal with.

The positive:
We like the overall look and work (for the most part) and am looking forward to moving my parents over. My mom is ready to move now! Will give them more interactions and I will be able to oversee them much easier. They are only 6 miles away, but with my dad's health especially, they need help frequently.

Between extremely high temps into October (104 first week of October for several days) and this build project along with dad's health issues (extremely low blood pressure causing worry and concern) have put a damper to my working the horses. Limited me to about 3 days a week with the 3.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:18 pm

DJR-- It's always good to end with the positives. All of us are so lucky and rich because we have our horses.

I have had a good year, but it has been a long haul back from a nightmare. Fifteen years ago I was on top of the world and had my Appy (blind) at FEI, my homebred and trained mare in her first year of GP getting 65% and finally pregnant to Briar, and her daughter schooling I-1. I was so stupid and sold the daughter to a psychopath who got me hook, line, and sinker for $20k, and the mare's colon went through her mesentary. She was operated on, and survived, still pregnant. What was supposed to be a few days turned into two weeks of her fighting, still pregnant, and her colon wouldn't work. I had to go watch her die, and a $30 k vet bill. And the psychopath got really, really bad.

It's been a long haul back finding another mare who was a mess, bringing her up tp PSG while I bred her twice to get the girls I have now doing so well, and finally making sense of me not knowing what psychopaths were and what I never learned as a kid. I always try to find the lessons in it and think I needed to learn from it. How can we not?

We have horses we love and a sport that keeps us motivated. How can we not be so lucky?

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:05 pm

Great thread, thank you for starting it.

The Bad:

8 foot surgeries in 7 years, endless months off, painful rehabs that fail anyway. A permanently disabled foot.

Losing George, Dilbert, Ben (rescue that wasn't saveable but what a dear) Flash (ditto) Gulliver (metastatic disease) over the years...endless sad goodbyes. Endless.

Lost two dear cats.

Husband with an incurable leukemia.

Current horses with soundness problems, no riding for me.

The Good:

Daughters and Steps doing great, wonderful people, smart, ethical, good jobs, healthy.

Its my left foot! If you are going to have a deranged extremity, that's the one to have!! I can DRIVE, I can wash my hair, play the piano, etc etc. Losing a hand would be really tough. Left foot? Pffft! I will garden this year, finish landscaping, plant more trees, etc etc. Amazing!

Jurgen still alive and working against all initial prognoses.

New fun project horse that I think will be a wonderful partner. I think Slick will be fine and Kingston maybe also.

Financial safety. This is huge as you all know. No mortgage, only a tractor payment >;->

Dear friends and people who love me. That is best of all.

This Board, which motivates and encourages me.

A truck and trailer so I can evacuate if we have a fire!

I hope to read all of yallss good things too >;->

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:56 pm

It has been a very tough year, relationship-wise. Extreme highs and extreme lows. BF decided to deal with some past stuff which has been very difficult for him - necessary, though - and tough on me too. Not through them yet but I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is coming into view now... Certainly hope so!

Work is a bit same-same. I've been at my company 3 years as of this week and the opportunities just keep coming, so I keep taking them. New line manager as my previous one moved sideways in the company, and the new one is much more pro-active so I'm excited to see how that helps development etc.

I finished my last paper by correspondence in July and will graduate with a Graduate Diploma in December (in absentia)... It's my first recognised qualification (I went to university after school, but left in the first semester and have just worked since).

Mum subdivided the 'farm', sold the sections, built a new house, and found tenants for the old one. The new house is amazing. My brother 'bought' a section and built so they are on the other corner of the original property.
My apartment block is undergoing a full renovation next year due to leaking cladding, but so far I've been able to keep up with the ever-increasing bills (with a bit of help from mum, too), as well as keep on top of mortgage repayments. The biggest bills are coming: definitely 6 figures, but besides that, who knows!
Most of my flatmates have been awesome, although there was a bout of bed bugs (shudder) and some crazies who broke in after they left... Apparently they'll be back, I'm hoping after the apartment is pulled apart, I'd love to see their faces turning up to what looks like a demolition/construction site.... It would (nearly) make the bs they gave me after leaving worthwhile, haha. Having flatmates has enabled me to keep smashing the mortgage, even though it would be nice to live alone at times.

I also went on a holiday, first big holiday EVER that wasn't somehow related to horses, training, continuing education, being a working student, or family travel as a kid. I did 3 weeks in Europe, including a week with a UDBB-er, a long weekend with my exchange family ( <3 ), a few days with actual family, and a week in Holland doing my own thing. It was fun, I saw a lot of amazing things, and I'm hopeful that once BF gets through his stuff, we can do something in the next couple of years, together (I much prefer travelling with people than alone). The upside of being away from work for a decent chunk of time was passing over many tasks to others, which has allowed me to grow into some new roles on a new project, which is super beneficial for my career development. Win, win!

Linden
Herd Member

Postby Linden » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:36 pm

I have to say that I am just now learning that EVERYONE has problems and ups/downs, but that'sjust a normal part of life. For too long I think I believed the "Facebook glow" where everyone's lives look perfect and uncomplicated.

I have been in the hospital almost the whole time since March 2018, save for 2 discharges that didn't last more than a month each. I committed(attempted) suicide twice (which is what brought me into the hospital in the first place) I ended up in a coma the first time for 4-5 days and then again the second time for 3 weeks.I had become very depressed and suicidal after I lost my mother, father, and two uncles all within 8 months.

Just recently I lost two more good friends (within the past month).

When I was first admitted to the hospital, the condo I was leasing (4 br, gorgeous place) ended it's lease contract, and while I was sick in the hospital the landlords emptied the entire home and sold all my brand new household goods and furniture without telling me. I had just the month before decorated the place with about $20,000 worth of brand new stuff. Every single piece is gone. Including all my clothes, papers, everything I owned.

After the second discharge I moved a few hours away to live and run a small private barn, which should have worked out really well. What actually happened was the woman who owned the place wouldn't let me even groom her horses without supervision, treated me like an absolute beginner and ended up dropping my self-esteem so bad I ended up in the hospital AGAIN. The whole big fish in a small pond had never been clearer than in her case. I've been in charge of Olympic mounts for godssake, you'd think I'd be trusted to brush a senior lower level packer...

My horse has been a few hours away being leased by a wonderful woman so that I could get the treatment and time off that I needed without having to worry about riding. He's my very first horse, and I didn't get to ride him for more than a dozen times before I got sick. You can imagine how badly I want to get back into the swing of things.

I hope everyone has something good to look forward to soon.
"Fix things going forward." LR

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:29 pm

Well, I now have one more thing to add to the bad ...

As of this evening, our 7 mo old Great Dane pup, Ferdi, has juvenile cellulitis (“puppy strangles”) and is on high-dose steroids and antibiotics. It’s an idiopathic condition (no known cause) but should fully resolve.

Yep, now my horse-sized dogs are involved in my bad luck vortex ...

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:40 am

Bad: I had to quit running due to my hip injury. That caused a cascade effect, punctuated by a really bad bout of depression earlier this year. (Running has long been my most reliable anti-depressant, as well as best asthma treatment.) Riding has been excruciatingly painful too, so I didn't do nearly as much with Maia over the past 2 years as I'd planned.

Good: Depression is under control (yay, meds!) and, thanks to a third opinion on the hip, I have some hope in that department as well. And I found an acceptable stand-in for running: rowing machine. Plus a professional positive: I've submitted proposals for, and won, 3 new large on-going freelance contracts.

Linden wrote:For too long I think I believed the "Facebook glow" where everyone's lives look perfect and uncomplicated.

Don't believe everything you see on Facebook, or even online. Too much "happy perfect life" is suspicious.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:08 am

I got divorced after 29 years of marriage at the beginning of this year. I thought we had a blissfully happy, wonderful union until the day I discovered that we didn't. To make matters worse, I lost two dogs (separate times) as well as one of my horses. My divorce was final in January and I have spent the remainder of the year in varying stages of grief. It hasn't been easy, and it isn't getting any easier. My sole focus at this point is rebuilding my life one atom at a time.

Onward to better days.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:04 am

Does listing the bad help you? It would totally do the opposite with me. I do not add up the negatives, I dont even remember death dates.

My mom goes to mass to pray for her departed. She remembers death dates like birthdates. I don't. I try to forget them. There are one or two dates that are so traumatic I cannot quite forget them, but I can only manage my happiness by looking for the positive or the blessings.

I can see how making a list of the positives would be helpful,

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Chisamba wrote:Does listing the bad help you? It would totally do the opposite with me. I do not add up the negatives, I dont even remember death dates.

My mom goes to mass to pray for her departed. She remembers death dates like birthdates. I don't. I try to forget them. There are one or two dates that are so traumatic I cannot quite forget them, but I can only manage my happiness by looking for the positive or the blessings.

I can see how making a list of the positives would be helpful,

I can see how this would be different for various people.

For me, it helps me acknowledge and appreciate my losses. If I bury it, I still feel the feelings but they have nothing to "perch on", so to speak. That, for me, creates a toxic emotional inner milieu.

By listing the negatives (AND the positives), it helps me gain perspective. And it helps me find more gentleness for myself to see on paper all the different ways I've been pulled.

I suppose it would depend on the purpose of listing these things. If it's to feed hopelessness or helplessness, I don't think that's helpful. That's not the purpose (for me), and it's why I balance it with positives whenever I can.

Of course, sometimes it's just cathartic to vent (that's not the spirit behind this thread, though).

I do remember death dates. Not to obsess about them, just to provide me with a moment to remember them, and sometimes to reach out to others and find comfort in sharing the weight of the loss (e.g., my step-son who committed suicide at age 19 ... I reach out to my ex-partner every year and both he and I appreciate that communication). Put another way, I don't think it would feel "right" to me to forget about them.

But that's just what works for me.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:04 pm

Oh, hugs to all of you carrying such heavy burdens.

redsoxluvr wrote:Onward to better days.

Ach, redsox…I went through something similar to that a couple years ago and I really feel for you. Sudden surprise divorce, and mine came with a extra dose of a super sick horse and sick family member....suffice to say, it was a real bad time. I just kept one foot in front of the other, therapist appointments like religion, and being willing to reach out and ask my friends for help. It's taken several years, but....things are better now. (Which kinda surprised me.)

Onward to better days.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:30 pm

I definitely empathize with all of you. I've had definite ups and downs for a period of years; but, for the most part keep landing on my feet. I've closed chapters of my life that were unexpected but meeting those changes head on and trying to make lemonade out of those lemons is the only way I know to move forward and I don't ever stand still. Between divorce, having to leave shelter medicine due to physical limitations as a result of that job, getting kicked in the face, having to give up my breeding program and forced to sell several horses I otherwise would not have - all hard; but, you find ways to see it through despite what may seem overwhelming at times. I have to be honest and say that my parents were always a great support through many of my upheavals, especially my mother but aging parents have been my focus now for the last 2 years.

It was 18 months ago when my father had to be placed in a memory care center. I had to leave my corporate position and go back to practice in order to have the (flexibility) time to take care of my parents, primarily chauffeuring my mother every where including daily to see my father. In one week it will have been a year since my father died and my mother was diagnosed with dementia due to her 3 strokes. Since that time I've sold her house and moved her to a retirement community which was a major undertaking for me and huge transition for her. I've had to financially help my brother over this past year who has depended on my parents all of his adult life; so, that responsibility has been passed on to me. My daughter recently suffered a disfiguring bite to the face by a dog while on the job. She is going through her second plastic surgery soon.

On the animal front, we lost our 18 year old JRT just 3 months ago.

The positive - Junior is really stepping up to the plate and making me so proud. He is the epitome of what I had been trying for with my breeding program. Ace, my mustang, is the best trail horse that ever existed imo and just an awesome companion. The stinker pony is fully retired but he's relatively healthy and definitely still entertaining. My kids other than the dog bite incident are doing okay and finding their own way through this world with just a little help from 'Mom' occasionally. My mother is starting to settle in to her new place. I am still relatively healthy and am able to work as long as it's not over 14 surgeries a day, I'm good ;) I'm a little bored at work but it's a good gig overall. I still love what I do - both the job and the horse gig. The key for me is that I still have future goals and dreams that I think are realistic to shoot for and attain. They may have changed a little over the years, more the plan to get there than the actual prize at the end; but, that's okay. My mother still says, "Everything happens for a reason." I hate having to admit that mother was right......but......damn it she usually is.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:52 pm

While I often agree with exvet, on this point I disagree: Many things do not happen for a reason---or at least not for a good reason! Not everything in life is imbued with meaning, even if we wish it were.

Our different reactions to challenges are interesting. I tend to be someone who always sees "On the one hand, this good thing is happening, and on the other thing this bad thing is happening." But I'm not a real mood swing type of person---I tend to be pretty steady no matter what goes off or not.

For those with especially challenging periods, I wish you peace, steadiness, insight and calm in the coming months and years!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:21 am

Well, my horse has been (finger's crossed) wonderfully sound her whole life. I am grateful for that for sure.

Me...I'm the wreck...but ready to forge on.
I won't subject anyone to my laundry list of maladies. Suffice to say I've had 6 surgeries in the last 7 years. Most requiring a fair respite from riding.
As, is fairly common for me, rehabbing one thing seems to lead to more (skeletal) problems but I hope I can just live with the current ones (left knee and right shoulder) for a few more years and get on with riding.

I don't know how many times in the last 3 years I have said I should sell the horse but couldn't ever pull the trigger on that so I still have her and am ready to really enjoy her.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:26 am

I'm sorry for everyone dealing with big personal life issues. It does put the horse problems in perspective.

On that front, this year has been pretty good.

On the horse front, we just passed the one year mark since Annabelle got injured. It's been a long slog, and I'm very tired of it, but on the up side, she's trotting 12 minutes under saddle as of this week, so my hope is that is mostly back to normal work and existence by the end of the year.

Also on the up side, I rode Susan's mare Kyra consistently for about 4 months this year, and I think it was very good for both of us. I made some improvements in my riding that will transfer over to training my girls and avoiding some mistakes.

Another good this year is that Tesla seems to be working out to be a good match for me. When I got her, I thought I might be overhorsed, but I was desperate to get rid of Rosette, so I made the trade figuring I could sell her on this year if I didn't like her. She is actually a mellower horse than I expected, and and has quite the fun personality.

I am cautiously optimistic for next year.
Keep calm and canter on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:08 am

Kelo wrote:Oh, hugs to all of you carrying such heavy burdens.

redsoxluvr wrote:Onward to better days.

Ach, redsox…I went through something similar to that a couple years ago and I really feel for you. Sudden surprise divorce, and mine came with a extra dose of a super sick horse and sick family member....suffice to say, it was a real bad time. I just kept one foot in front of the other, therapist appointments like religion, and being willing to reach out and ask my friends for help. It's taken several years, but....things are better now. (Which kinda surprised me.)

Onward to better days.

Thank you.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:43 pm

No worries piedmontfields. We all choose to view the world a different way. Coping skills, fortunately like bags of Halloween candy, don't all contain the exact same pieces. In the end disappointment or enjoyment (and everything in between which is where most of us are) all depends on how you choose to look at things.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:09 pm

So far, my life this year has been pretty quiet, but there's still 2 months left, so let's not be tempting fate here...

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Moutaineer wrote:So far, my life this year has been pretty quiet, but there's still 2 months left, so let's not be tempting fate here...

I was going to say something like this but I also didn't want to tempt fate!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”