I quit smoking

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

I quit smoking

Postby PaulaO » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:44 pm

Sunday November 3 at 1:30 am I drove myself to the ED because I couldn’t breathe. Saturday I was coughing so badly that I canceled my lesson, threw away my remaining cigarettes, and put on the NRT patch. Spent 4 hours in the ED for chest X-rays, breathing treatments, and Prednisone. Saw my PCP the next day and he gave me additional Prednisone and a home nebulizer. I was not allowed to go to work for a week.

Fortunately my breathing is almost better than when I wasn’t sick but still smoking. I’ve been 9 days without a cigarette. I smell so clean. Sadly my car smells like an ashtray.

One is too many but 1,000 isn’t enough.

Linden
Herd Member

Re: I quit smoking

Postby Linden » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:41 pm

I'm sorry you were feeling so sick :( But wishing you all the strength to stay smoke-free!
"Fix things going forward." LR

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:09 pm

That is a scary way to get on a new path, but I am really glad that you are doing it! It will be so worth it (as you can already tell by how clean you are). Maybe splurge and get your car detailed to help you out with your new way of life :-)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Congratulations, you are going to feel so much better as your lungs clear!
Keep calm and canter on.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:03 pm

piedmontfields wrote:That is a scary way to get on a new path, but I am really glad that you are doing it! It will be so worth it (as you can already tell by how clean you are). Maybe splurge and get your car detailed to help you out with your new way of life :-)

This! What a great idea piedmontfields! This is a well deserved treat for yourself Paula! You rock! 8-)

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:34 pm

EXACTLY what I was going to suggest. But never forget how much it (and your clothes) smelled. And CONGRATULATIONS!!! Every single day your body will get more and more healthy.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:07 am

Congratulations! When I stopped smoking 35 years ago, it took 2 years to no longer want to smoke at times. One thing that REALLY helped me was that I started running to get some conditioning for a Wyoming (Wind Rivers) backpack that I had been invited on. I could really feel the difference and it definitely helped. Even if you don't take up running, I would highly recommend, at the least, very brisk walking to help your lungs (and your head) learn to be clean.

Be strong!!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:14 am

Congrats Paula! Hopefully you never have a reoccurrence of this severe breathing problem.

Quitting smoking is very hard to do. I've done it a couple of times, but unfortunately I keep going back to this filthy and now expensive habit.

A friend of mine went to smoke Enders years ago and what kept him from take that first puff was to keep a gumband on his wrist and snap it every time he got the urge.

You can do this!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:53 pm

I smoked a pack a day and a pack is $10. That’s almost a car payment per month. Sadly, back to work today.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Well then, forget the detailing... Buy yourself a new car! Or a horse! Or a trip! (I had no idea they'd gotten so expensive) Hang in there. Theoretically, you're supposed to be over the physical craving, now you need to disrupt the little habits that linked something to smoking, ie. cup of coffee and cig, adult beverage and cig, drive home from work and cig (take a different route? Stop after a few blocks/miles and walk around the car?) Just random thoughts because I understand it's tough and yet it's such an awful - and deadly - habit!
JINGLES!!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:38 pm

My car has 117K miles, but runs perfectly and I love it. I don't need or want another horse (although there is a liver chestnut OTTB mare at the barn that I think is mighty nice). I'm going to sink another $200 a month into my 401K or 403B or whatever I have at work...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Proud of you, Paula! Tarlo has great ideas for little shifts that can be supportive of your new life.

p.s. I had no idea cigs were that expensive :shock: Yes, saving towards something good (like retirement) is a much better reward!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:09 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
p.s. I had no idea cigs were that expensive :shock: Yes, saving towards something good (like retirement) is a much better reward!

Congrats on quitting! I quit a few years ago now and occasionally have a drag when I have been drinking... :shock:

As for the price - cigarettes are now close to $25 CDN a pack here. That is nearly $19 US.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:33 pm

Omg Tuddy that's insane pricing! Mine are $11.20 a pack, thank you Pennsylvania taxes! Ugh

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:53 pm

I commented on this thread and have no idea where it went. Congratulations! 9 days means you are actually over the nicotine addiction but the worst part is the habit of lighting one when you are stressed, or having coffee, or whatever. Some of my friends (the ones who successfully quit) tried the Green Seminar, some Chantix, some Smoke Enders, and some just went cold turkey.
I hope you can keep it up and if you feel like you want a smoke, try one of the other methods above. Take that 10 dollars/day or a week or whatever and put it in a jar. This is a good visual.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:09 pm

I’m an all or nothing person. I could never have a drag or a puff. I’d go back to full blown smoking. My first day back at irk (yes, it was irksome) was so annoying that I craved for about 3 hours. Too cold for my lungs to go to the barn last night or I would have visited Miss A.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:21 pm

Well done!

When I gave up many years ago I found that acupuncture really helped reduce cravings to almost nothing, so you may find that helpful. And Ventolin will help with the tortured bronchial lung feeling.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:52 pm

I’d cut a b! tch right now for a cigarette. This craving will pass.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:58 pm

PaulaO wrote:I’m an all or nothing person. I could never have a drag or a puff. I’d go back to full blown smoking.

Same for me. I quit almost 30 years ago, and every now and then, I have what I call THE DREAM. In THE DREAM, I have started smoking again and I am very unhappy about it. It's funny because I haven't consciously wanted a cigarette since the day I quit. I suppose, though, that THE DREAM is a way of reminding myself never to pick up a cigarette again.

Stay strong and know that you will feel better, be able to ride better, and have more money to buy nice things for Miss A.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:28 am

Still sending you strength Paula. I second the acupuncture. It can help tremendously!

Miss A is going to love your healthy lungs :-) (long trots and long canters, please)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:29 am

With my savings, I ordered a lovely navy blue fleece quarter sheet for Miss A. and a riding jacket for meself. Have to stay quit for at least another week to make up money spent vs money saved. LOL

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:32 am

PaulaO wrote:I’d cut a b! tch right now for a cigarette. This craving will pass.

That was my husband's struggle with quitting too, but he succeeded. I had my last and walked away. We're both former smokers 15+ years now.

You'll do it <3

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:44 pm

KathyK - When I quit a few years ago and was off them for 3 years thru hypnosis I had DREAMS too. I'd dream that I smoked - I'd get up and run all around wondering if I had actually smoked, I would be hysterical.....

I tried Chantix/Wellbrutrin and it made me very crazy! I had to go off of it.

A co-worker is on it now and I have noticed her mood is actually better, but she's been on it for a good year and is still smoking.

I am also an all or nothing smoker. Even trying to limit how much a smoke doesn't work.

Keep going Paula you can do this!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:17 am

You can do it ;) .

All that money for things for Ms. A. Sweet.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:33 pm

Still not smoking. FOURTEEN DAYS! I went back to work part time on Tuesday. I’m wiped out by the mid afternoon. Coughing is 99% gone, but now I need to work on my stamina. I didn’t go to the barn all week. Ariel has on her sheet, but there was a cold snap, think single digits at night. Apparently she was shivering. The barn knew I was sick and didn’t want to worry me, so they put a medium blanket over her sheet to keep her toasty. Another reason I love my barn.

I hope to be back in the saddle next weekend.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:37 pm

Keep going... we are all rooting for you!

Lung atuff will kick your butt. Take it carefully.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Your barn sounds great. That is exactly how a good place should be.

I hope you can just ease back to work carefully (with short-term disability or flextime or ?). Still pulling for you, your lungs, your future health and of course the extra $$ for Miss A (and you).

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:37 pm

According to my quit app, I have NOT purchased over 20 packs of cigarettes. Ariel’s quarter sheet and my riding jacket have been paid for with my savings.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:02 pm

Keep up the great work, Paula!!!! We're still all rooting for you. :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:29 pm

526 cigarettes NOT smoked!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:58 pm

I love the rising numbers and savings. Well done and K E E P G O I N G!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:47 pm

PaulaO wrote:526 cigarettes NOT smoked!

You GO GIRL!!!! :D :D

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Wow that is A LOT of cigarettes. I am sure your clothes are smelling a lot nicer now too.

Xanthoria
Herd Member

Postby Xanthoria » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:29 pm

I am really impressed Paula - don't you dare stop now: you are over the hump!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”