A Sudden Goodbye

Kelo
Herd Member

A Sudden Goodbye

Postby Kelo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:58 pm

He was fine at dinner time, but gone by breakfast.

That breakfast is prepped, and just sitting in my feed room. He'll never eat it. I need to put it away before the rats get to it, but haven't been able to yet.

My old gelding Henry died earlier this week. I don't know what happened, but assume it was some kind of catastrophic colic, or maybe some kind of heart attack/stroke.

The day before he died, life was normal. We saddled up and rode in the morning. Henry was teaching my boyfriend how to ride, and they had advanced a great deal, and I was sure proud of him. That old gelding was very well trained, but didn't do a lick of work unless you made him, and he was making my boyfriend a rider.

We unsaddled, gave the horses treats and pets, and turned them out on the pasture to graze. I fed them dinner in the evening, and went in to bed. When I got up in the morning, I prepped their breakfasts, and went out to dump feed, and realized the old horse wasn't standing at his feeder. It was dark, so I had to go find him -- he was lying at the end of his run, dead and gone. So the whole thing couldn't have taken more than a few hours from start to finish.

I have known this horse for 23 years, from when he was just a youngster. He taught me a whole lot -- I was a teenager, and learned John Lyons' natural horsemanship stuff, literally reading the book chapter by chapter and applying it to this horse, until I could do a halterless showmanship pattern and ride him without a bridle. We competed at local shows, and then he helped introduce me to western performance sports as we started reining -- he even won me my first reining trophy.

I sold him as a kids horse and bought a new prospect to train, and lost touch with him for 10 years. I never forgot about him though, and to make a long story short, fate brought him back to me -- I ran into the gal I'd sold him to, and the gal that SHE had sold him to needed to get rid of him ASAP. Without hesitation, I said I'd take him and after work I went to get him. He was 20, terribly skinny, and beat up. But I patched him up, and promised him I'd give him the retirement he deserved.

And I did. He got all the medical care he needed, and he and my other horse became besties. I brought them home to my back yard and they lived a happy, spoiled life.

A couple years ago, I started dating my current boyfriend, who wanted to learn to ride, so Henry got enlisted after years of retirement. He would just stop and stand unless the aids were clear, and they did a lot of standing at first :lol: But he learned. Henry toted him on trail rides and we had some grand adventures.

I had even just gotten a little 4-H girl that wanted to be around horses, and Henry was going to start teaching her, too (and maybe helped her win at the 4-H shows next summer). It was a proud moment watching them working on showmanship, all those years after I'd taught him, and him responding perfectly to her rough beginner cues.

He was healthy, fat and going strong -- but guess it was his time.

Now this horse wasn't perfect by any means. When he was younger, he liked to act like a nut at the worst possible times, much to my teenager chagrin. And of course, his favorite hobbies was either injuring himself or damaging property, like stalls or fences. He needed the premium feed, and a lot of it, to stay fat. He was always high maintenance.

But I am sad to see him go. I have been wracking my brain, did I miss something that last night? What could I have done? But he was eating like a champ, acting normal, and even if I'd caught it, surgery wasn't an option. So at least he went fast, and not in a slow decline.

I do feel bad for my boyfriend and the kid, though, as they've lost their teacher. Guess I did, too.

I need to put his breakfast away.....

This is the last photo I ever took of him -- he got new shoes a couple days before he died.
Attachments
IMG_1558.jpg
IMG_1558.jpg (187.84 KiB) Viewed 13773 times

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: A Sudden Goodbye

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:23 pm

What a shock, Kelo! But then sometimes I think the extra smart and wonderful ones find a way to leave this life quickly.

I'm very sorry for your loss. Godspeed Henry. I'm glad you were able to have some more good years with Kelo and friends.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:31 pm

I'm so sorry for your and all who loved him loss.
He took care of you and others, and he left you in a way that was easier than seeing him slowly decline and having to make the heart wretching decision.

A friend lost her horse this summer over nite and the vet did an autopsy and said he went peacefully and that he had a type of aneurism at his liver. He was fine the night before and gone by morning laying peacefully in his stall.

May you find peace knowing that he spent the rest of his life in your loving care.

Hugs

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Oh, I'm sorry. I remember when you got him back. You gave him some great golden years, and he was happy right up through his last days.
Keep calm and canter on.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:59 pm

I'm so very sorry. I've followed your story, and I remember when he came back into your life. It was his meant-to-be path, to live in comfort, happiness and contentment with you. Thank you for being there for him.

Maybe put the breakfast away tomorrow. It can wait. Or perhaps, share it with the birds and squirrels. They'd probably appreciate that.

{{Hugs}}

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:04 pm

oh boy what a shock. He was old so I would guess heart attack. I am so sorry. I think he probably had a quick and painless death though, so that is a blessing. I am sure you are reeling. He was so fortunate to have you.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:51 pm

Oh no! I'm so sorry!! There has been a lot of despair in the horse-world lately. Thank goodness he died with you, as your guy again. Great final photo! {{{{Kelo}}}}

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:43 pm

Oh my gosh, what a horrible shock. I'm so sorry.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I remember when you posted about Henry coming back into your life, to enjoy his golden years with you.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:41 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful soul.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:15 am

I'm sad for you, Kelo. I also remember when you got him back and brought him back to health. His final years were wonderful. He couldn't have asked for more.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:44 am

I'm so sorry. I had a line bred Naborr gelding who taught my kids how to ride and enjoy freedom on horse back. He too ate dinner after a short trail ride and seemed like his ole self. In the morning he was found dead in his stall. He had basically a heart attack. He was 25. We were sad but at the same time it was better that he found his own quick way out of this world than going through a catastrophic but lengthy ordeal often associated with aging. The loss is no less but he gave his all and you did the same. Hugs to you.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:55 am

Oh so very sorry :( That would have been so sad and such a shock. Great story, and glad he came back to you for his final years.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:12 pm

So sorry. What a full life he lived!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:32 pm

I'm so sorry :(

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Oh Kelo, big hugs for you and all who love Henry. I am choosing to believe he went fast and peacefully, and that it was his final gift to his people to spare them any worry or hard decisions or doubt. Godspeed Henry. Thanks for all your service.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:35 pm

Oh Noooo! I'm so sorry. Its been exactly 8 years since I lost Ryeissa....so sorry.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 am

Thanks guys. I appreciate you all, been rereading this thread as I mourn - it helps.

Like Fergusnc said, and exvet and hayburner et al said, he was old, and I think I am gonna choose to believe it was a heart attack. When the light came up I spent time looking over his body and his pen - no damage, no sweat marks or any signs of distress on his body, no churned up ground or signs of distress in his pen. It’s like he just fell over and was gone.

I am so, so thankful I was able to keep my promise to him. He lived in horsie luxury for many years of his retirement - it’s been 5 or 6 years, and he had a very happy life. He deserved it.

I feel bad for my boyfriend and my 4-H kid. I don’t know what I am going to do to encourage their growing interest in horses now. My Cowpony is super safe, but is hard to ride with the GP work he’s doing - too bouncy and responsive. I guess I will have to see what the filly thinks of packing a beginner. She is good minded and easy to ride, so we might try it carefully and see how it goes...

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:38 pm

So sorry Kelo.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:58 pm

So nice to know there was no drama or trauma.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:23 pm

So very sad that your oldster is gone. He looked remarkably like my old guy does, especially his blaze. I recently marked our 22nd anniversary together so I know what's behind all those years of equine partnership.
Adding one more personal story, I took on an elder gelding companion for my oldster a few years ago. The boys walked into their turnouts for a p.m. feeding and I was at one end of the barn, in the chicken coop. Heard a horse go down as if to roll, immediately looked into the turnout pens (I always look when I hear that sound) and it was the old companion. He was down and crossing the Rainbow Bridge in the mere seconds it took for me to sprint around the corner to get to him. I was at his side, on the phone to the vet just as he passed. The vet arrived, examined him, and concluded that this wonderful old buddy had somehow burst a major vessel. So quick, without visible trauma, no struggle and he was gone. Both the shock and relief of quickness I'll never forget. Wishing you the best.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:18 pm

So very sorry your horse, Henry, has left you. I think I may know how you feel because my horse, Rockabilly, left me the same way. The night before I had fed him his favorite cherry sugar free popsicle. I turned him into his run-in for the night never failing to tell him how much I loved him and that God never made a better horse. He got down and rolled and rolled. He jumped up squealing. I told him I'll see you in the morning. The next morning as I was walking to the barn I didn't see his head over the gate watching for me. As I got closer I could see he was laying down. Not good. He had passed away very much as your horse did. He was just as glossy as ever, no straw in his tail or anything. Like you said no appearance of trauma, but that moment the world stopped turning. Billy's vet said it was his last gift to me and it took me several years before I knew it was true. It helps a tiny bit to think of it this way.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:32 pm

I'm so sorry, Kelo. When my Lad died suddenly, he did it literally right in front of me and his last breath was with his head in my lap. He was only 18, still going strong, no signs of any problem whatsoever. Happened day after Christmas 2013, I still miss him. I am grateful I was there, that I didn't have to make the hard choice of when to euthanize like I did with the all the other horses that have been in my life. Either way, it just sucks to lose a good friend--fast or slowly.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:49 am

I am so sorry but glad he found his way back to you for his last few years.

Godspeed Henry.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”