Favorite Lotion?

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Favorite Lotion?

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:31 pm

Grrrrrrr, evidently Neutrogena is no longer making my favorite body lotion, "Moisture Wrap."

What's your favorite and why?

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Favorite Lotion?

Postby Tanga » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:12 pm

Baby oil. Everything else is just money. After a shower or bath I use it. The only thing that really moisturizes is water, and so you need something that will seal it in.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:59 pm

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=a+la+maison+ ... nb_sb_noss

a la Maison hand and body creams - see the ingredients - no parabens - great scents too.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:29 pm

Curel Itch Defense Lotion - it saved my sanity when I had a reaction to a medication and was scratching furrows in my skin.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Kiehl's Ultimate Strength Hand Salve

Expensive, but it actually helps resolve my cracked, dry hands.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 am

Coconut oil. (Refined, if, like me, you don't want to smell like coconut.)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:48 am

Second the coconut oil. I apply immediately after a shower, and it keeps me from turning into a scaly reptile.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:30 am

I like to use straight shea butter on my hands and feet when they get really dry. I use some type of Burt's Bees hand lotion at work.
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Josie Maran whipped body lotion.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:15 pm

I find baby oil too oily. Same with the butters. Isn't coconut oil like that as well? And I've never heard of the Josie Maran lotion. Off to search that.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 pm

Coconut oil feels a little oily going on, but sinks in and (if you don't use too much) doesn't leave you feeling oily. I shower at night and in the morning, my skin feels soft and hydrated, not oily at all.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Cera Ve in the tub. Recommended by my doctor, who has 3 sons with allergies and sensitive skin.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:56 pm

Tarlo. I get the Josie Maan from QVC I think Sephora also sells it. It's made with maroccan oil.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:48 pm

Looks like Walmart carries it as well.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:35 am

Tarlo, Wow I'd guess Walmart is quite a bit cheaper than QVC.

With just the start of winter and I'm already getting dry skin! I use a scrub once a week then lather on the Josie Maran whipped body cream.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:20 pm

Tanga wrote:Baby oil. Everything else is just money. After a shower or bath I use it. The only thing that really moisturizes is water, and so you need something that will seal it in.

This very much over simplifies the complexity of skin

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:54 pm

Eucerin skin calming cream for winter skin, Burts Bees baby lotion for less itchy times!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:20 pm

Chisamba wrote:
Tanga wrote:Baby oil. Everything else is just money. After a shower or bath I use it. The only thing that really moisturizes is water, and so you need something that will seal it in.

This very much over simplifies the complexity of skin

A bit, but the Mayo clinic agrees with me. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20353891

"Moisturize. Moisturizers provide a seal over your skin to keep water from escaping. Apply moisturizer several times a day and after bathing. Thicker moisturizers work best, such as over-the-counter brands Eucerin and Cetaphil.

You may also want to use cosmetics that contain moisturizers. If your skin is extremely dry, you may want to apply an oil, such as baby oil, while your skin is still moist. Oil has more staying power than moisturizers do and prevents the evaporation of water from the surface of your skin. Another possibility is ointments that contain petroleum jelly (Vaseline, Aquaphor). These may feel greasy, so you might want to use them only at night.

Apply moisturizers immediately after bathing. Gently pat your skin dry with a towel so that some moisture remains. Within a couple of minutes of bathing, apply moisturizing cream or ointment to trap moisture in your skin. A product in which petrolatum is one of the top three ingredients may be best. Products containing glycerin, lactic acid or urea may also help."

Vaseline would work even better, but that's rather greasy and not needed except in extreme cases. I find rubbing in baby oil and waiting a bit before dressing or sitting on things does not leave oily messes.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:40 pm

I always apply lotion right after a shower/bath and I have used Baby Oil in the past, but I think I was living in FL and could wait to get dressed until it absorbed (or rubbed off on stuff). I like a thin, effective lotion that allows me to get dressed right away - which the Moisture Wrap did. I discovered the stuff on a trip to AZ, dry skin territory!
I went to Marshals and found Shea Butter with Coconut Oil, and Shea Butter with Eucalyptus Oil for starters. I'll wait to try the expensive stuff if one of these aren't to my liking. But then...since I bought them at Marshals, I'll probably never find them again anywhere else! :lol: :lol:

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:23 pm

:P your right Tarlo finding something twice at Marshalls is nearly impossible!

I recently bought Nivea Enriched which is supposed to be good for 48 hours, what a joke. It did nothing for me. I will say using a body scrub a few times a week before lathering on the lotion really helps.

I use to also like Avon Skin So Soft, Just rub it on with a wet wash rag, let it sit then do my body lotion. But, the greasy feeling and not getting on my clothes is hard when are racing to get ready for work.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”