Decorating advice

blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Decorating advice

Postby blob » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:41 pm

Looking for interior design advice/suggestions from those with an artistic eye.

My dining room space (I have an open floor plan, but a distinct 3 walls make up the dining space and then opens into kitchen) is square, so is my dining table that is centered in the room and directly under the light fixture. However the wall behind the table includes a door that leads to the outside. I'd like to hang art or something on that wall, but if I center it on the wall that remains after the door, the art will not not be centered over the table. I can attempt to center over the table, but then I am very close up against the door.

Any thoughts?

Hayburner

Re: Decorating advice

Postby Hayburner » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:53 pm

By hanging art there you are drawing attention to the door that leads outside, do you really want to do that?

Maybe just a wreath on the door, or something like just words above the door?

I have my own decoding delemia I need paint co,ors for my laundry and powder room and I swear I've bought at least 10 samples and I hate all of them!

Maybe someone will chime in with a great idea for you!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:58 pm

The rule is to center it on the wall, so between your door and the wall. It’s o.k. if it’s not centered over the table.

Hayburner, use white paint, then decorate the walls with prints and other artwork.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:23 pm

I have the same room, with a window instead of a door. I hung a piece of art so it is in the middles of the wall space, not centered over the table. It looks great.

I would just try both ways and see what you like. But my off center art looks fine.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:11 pm

Center on the wall space, or use two pieces equally spaced on the wall space, or greater multiples in some kind of grid pattern, which would draw the eye from the door.

Hayburner, what range of colors are you looking at? What are you trying to achieve as a "feel?"

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:02 pm

I have approached a similar space by hanging multiple smaller pieces -- a gallery wall. Here are some examples:
https://www.chron.com/life/home/design/ ... to-9302574

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Mountaineer - The majority of my living space is painted SW Quietude - which does not look anything like the sample - it actually came out prettier and stronger than the sample. It reads more of a slight turquoise shade. My accent wall going up to the 2nd floor and also on a large wall in my family room is SW Over Seas. A dark rich teal color that I love.

The laundry room and powder room are down a narrow hallway from the main living space.

My powder room is tiny with ORB fixtures with a dark matte hardwood floor - I wanted to find a pretty color that would coordinate with the SW Quietude. I thought about going really dark maybe a shade or two lighter than the Over Seas. Can't find one I like. I thought SW Jasper Stone would work - NOPE, it turned out like a country blue on my walls. Tried SW Reflecting Pool, NOPE that was wrong too. And a few others just don't look right. Now I'm thinking maybe I need to go a shade or two lighter than Quietude - like SW Seasalt?

Laundry room is a disaster - really looking at it I can see that the original painter used two different shades of my trim paint. My trim throughout the house is a pretty cream. I looked at my old paint cans and the same color paint had 3 different formulas on the top of the cans!!! My tile has tan and a smidgen of orange in it. I am going to have my painter change all the trim in the laundry room to a white shade so it blends with my appliances and cabinets. I've tried greens, not good even though my small counter top has a bit of green and a smidgen of orange specs in it. I've tried SW Kilim Beige, Yuck, different shades of oranges, nope cant find a nice one that isn't too orange.

ANy suggestions?

blob

Postby blob » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:21 pm

For the powder room, I would go lighter, esp since it's a small space. Dark colors in small spaces can be overwhelming.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:21 am

Hayburner, take a look at Benjamin Moore First Light for the Laundry room. I don't know if it is too pink for you, but I like it's light and warmth.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Hayburner, take a look at Benjamin Moore First Light for the Laundry room. I don't know if it is too pink for you, but I like it's light and warmth.

Gosh, I think that color is beautiful. Makes me want to find a wall/room to paint

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:14 am

Thanks for the suggestion Mountaineer!

I'll definitely check it out.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:43 am

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”