Anyone purchase a horse long distance without a visit?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Anyone purchase a horse long distance without a visit?

Postby Josette » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:46 pm

Has anyone made a horse purchase without physically doing an onsite visit and test ride? I've never done this before but am now very tempted to do so. The timing now for Traveling during the holiday season is insane. The logistics would be very difficult to leave our property because of animals needing care here. Plus I'm a chicken to travel alone - not the flying part - the driving when getting out and back to a huge metro airport.

I really like what I see on the video and description (I have not contacted the seller yet). So what would be the next steps for information you would need to proceed with making this purchase decision? What details would assist you best in this process?

BTW - anyone near Weatherford TX? :)

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Re: Anyone purchase a horse long distance without a visit?

Postby Abby Kogler » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:01 pm

Yes, several times. It always worked out well. Once or twice I did a PPE but not always. Once the horse was a hand shorter than reported but the seller honestly didn't know...I let it go.

If you have a good sense about the seller, and can see the PPE, I would go for it.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:04 pm

I did, but it was a cheap horse. She ended up being 3" shorter than advertised. Seller said she was athletic and a little spicy. She was more a born kids' horse. I mean, it turned out fine in that she was a good project horse and I had fun bringing her along, then sold her to a great forever home. But it wouldn't have worked out if I'd really needed her to be my main competition horse. I don't think the seller was intentionally dishonest, people just interpret things very differently, particularly with regard to temperament.

IMO, it depends on the price point and what you're looking for. If I'm in the market for another long-term horse for myself, and find something that checks all the boxes, I would probably schedule the PPE, then fly out a day early to make sure everything checked out, and be present for the PPE (or cancel if things weren't as expected).

If you can't do that, then ask to be on Skype or Facetime for the PPE.
Keep calm and canter on.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:26 pm

https://busterhorses.com/buttons

I just spoke with seller and sounds like this barn is for fast sales as she prefers not to hold for deposit. I'm inquiring for PPE vets now to see if I can get appt set up. I like the description of pony as sane, safe because I don't show and am really a backyard pleasure rider. She said so far about 30 calls for him and several people have visited to try him out. Sounds like I may need to decide how to handle this quickly....

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:50 pm

You can get all kinds of responses telling about people's experiences, good and bad, with buying sight unseen, but none of them have any bearing on your decision. It's a crap shoot. It could work out well; it could be a disaster. But other people's experiences aren't going to have any kind of influence. Plenty of people try a horse, several times, even, and it doesn't work out in the end. If you move ahead with this one, just be sure you have your eyes open and get as much as possible in writing. Good luck!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:59 pm

He looks very sane, if not entirely happy. He may be sore in the back, could be a saddle issue. He cringes and clamps his tail when being saddled. He does look very dutiful though, and has a cute jump!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:12 pm

I wish I could find someone who is nearby to take a look for me. I would pay expenses for time and gas.

I've seen some of these western sale sites (not meant to criticize them) - but when they show tacking up the saddle is heavy and tossed up on the horse. Some horses look like they are bracing themselves for the heavy weight.

I agree horse purchases is a very negative experience. Maybe it is different for those who simply trade/resell back - like a car.

The dressage sale sites show lovely horses. However, the majority of horses are not want I am interested in for price, age, height and trail riding experience. Many school master types come with some high maintenance issues - plus I am not interested to ride upper dressage level. I would prefer to spend my weekend out trail riding at local park than at a horse show. I like the schooling solid basics and lower level but I want to trail ride too. I am more of an AP rider at heart.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:51 pm

My brother and SIL are in Aledo, right on the doorstep of Weatherford. However, neither knows the first thing about horses. They have met my horse, and they can identify a horse vs a cow in the pasture, but that's about all :) At best they might be able to go to the barn for a visit and get a general impression.

For PPE, I recommend La Mesa Equine Lameness Center in Pilot Point http://www.lamesaequine.com If Dr. Donnell is still there he really knows his stuff.

I'm 5 hours away but, dang, I'm loaded to the gills this week--to much to report here. Keep us posted!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:46 pm

Thanks for the vet referral texsuze. I did a google for vets and was shocked to see how many large equine clinics in that area. I'm making phone calls on Monday for PPE appt. I just wish I could find a horse person to take a look at him. Holiday season is crazy busy for everyone and the worse time for travel.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:17 am

Koolkat wrote: He may be sore in the back, could be a saddle issue. He cringes and clamps his tail when being saddled.

Given the way the back of the saddle is raised when it’s cinched, I’m sure that saddle is a poor fit. I’d bet he’s sore. I wonder if they’re hiding a little sourness about saddling with how they’ve edited the video and only showing a few seconds at a time. But, If he’s expecting pain who could blame him.
He’s super cute though and looks like he could be a lot of fun!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Thank you very much for these observations. The video is not a good one (I'm being polite). I liked the photos more trying to get a better look at him. I have many concerns but know horse buying is a crap shoot sometimes even from a private owner/ seller. Plus relying so much on the PPE which as others have posted may still miss critical issues too. I like so many things in his description and photos - but am nervous trying to get as much information as I can - which seems difficult.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Josette, I sent you a pm.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Well I asked for a better video under english tack as those photos are present. If they will not send an updated video it does not sound promising to pursue. :?

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:10 pm

He's awfully cute, Josette, and looks like a horse that would meet your needs. Probably pony tough to boot. Hope it works out well for both of you.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:40 pm

I did, but it was a $500 horse that had never been touched by a human. Bought her off a 1 minute video and her papers. Horse was indeed just as advertised :lol: But she turned out to be pretty nice.

Not sure I'd be so keen to buy a riding horse sight unseen, though.

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:25 pm

I did for a young horse not under saddle. I talked to the PPE vet before the appointment and she did a really good job asking me what I was looking for, what type of temperament I wanted, etc. Then she chatted with me half way through the appointment before I approved moving on to xrays.

I was pretty blunt to the vet - "I am looking for a dressage prospect to replace my upper level horse but if he doesn't want to do dressage, I'll find another home. I want an AA horse, I don't need anything super fancy and a good brain is more important than gaits. I don't want hot/crazy or anything that's going to try and kill me when we start riding.

I can't watch the video at work but the pics show a pretty level horse - he's not super alert, nor super crabby. Has ears on the rider but not pinned back under saddle. He seems like a good egg. If you move forward, have a hard limit on what you'll accept in the PPE - if he isn't what you want to ride long term, how sellable is he in your area based on training and PPE results? Or can you afford to keep him and buy another horse if he's not what you end up liking.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:11 pm

Josette:

People I know who have purchased long distance successfully:

-Bought from people that they know (breeder or dealer)
-Had access to extensive videos, show records and health records
-Did an extensive PPE before finalize the purchase
-Knew what they wanted and were also comfortable with some variation from everything on that that wish list once the horse arrived (in other words, they were fairly realistic)

Good luck! I do think it is harder to do this if this is your only horse or one of a few, vs. one of a herd that you have. We are often much pickier about the match when it is our main/only horse.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:28 pm

He is adorable. Seriously, I don't see anything that would be a red flag to me.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:32 pm

I have bought 4 without seeing them. However, they were all checked out extensively so that I knew their background. I won't buy from 'a dealer'. For one thing, I really don't like to pay commissions, especially hidden commissions.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:44 pm

I want to give a HUGE thank you to all for your experiences, opinions and advise. I listened and agree that I am NOT comfortable going off a video purchase. I am unable to get the critical and important information for health and soundness or any other details. This is a fast sale consignment barn - it is that type of business and the wrong situation for me to buy when I can not physically visit. I did try to get more details, photos and maybe another short video under the english tack - no way. So to get a PPE done with lots of unknowns may not be reasonable. Their goal to move horse within 28 days 1 month - they want a sale. period.

So I need to stop thinking about this pony which is very hard because he ticked every single one of my check boxes: sex, age, size, sane, training and trails. I really hope he goes to the good him he deserves.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:58 pm

I hope another that ticks your check boxes comes along soon, and in a way that you feel comfortable and happy.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:21 pm

You have to do what you are comfortable with. The right horse/pony/hony will come along when the time is right.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Craigslist often gets a bad rap, and there certainly can be a lot of cruddy-looking stuff there, but wouldn't hurt to check CL in your area. You could at least see a horse in person, within driving distance.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:08 pm

texsuze wrote:Craigslist often gets a bad rap, and there certainly can be a lot of cruddy-looking stuff there, but wouldn't hurt to check CL in your area.

I second the not hurting to look. Sometimes you can find real gems there, that's where I found Phoenix!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:42 pm

I think you made a very sound decision and will be far better off and satisfied with 'the one' when you find him/her. I have bought off video and/or just pictures several times. HOWEVER I did so with having already developed a reputation within the breed circle and did so mostly from those I know very well. There was definitely a trust/comfort level there that has typically seen me through these deals rather well. All but two were young enough that they hadn't been started yet and I had only two 'disappointments' with what I ended up with; but, in the end I was still able to come to a satisfactory conclusion and the beasties found their forever homes. There are a few specific people that if they called and said, "hey I have the perfect horse for you and I was in the market," I would purchase without needing to see the horse in person. I know my price threshold and that has a lot to do with what risks I'm willing to take. Good luck, I'm sure the right one will come along and as they say, most likely when and where you least expect it.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:01 pm

I have done it twice, varying experiences. One was a Shire stallion, who I'd tracked since birth or shortly there after. I got a very good deal on him as a 4 year old, probably too good. He was a doll to live with, a DOLL. Under saddle and in harness, he had some pretty serious issues. There's reason the people I got him from trick trained him- note, that's a warning sign when you're horse shopping - and since the trainer I sent him to to see if his issues could be sorted out fed him the wrong hay and caused a fatal colic, well, we'll never know.

Milagro is the other. He's sound, he's talented, he's a cool horse. He's not quite as cool as Splash, but he's a cool horse.

I go back to what Honeylips said on this subject, and she is someone who has bought and sold a LOT of horses. Unless you are take that much money (the purchase price) and set it on fire, don't buy a horse without seeing it in the flesh.

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:15 am

Quelah wrote:I go back to what Honeylips said on this subject, and she is someone who has bought and sold a LOT of horses. Unless you are take that much money (the purchase price) and set it on fire, don't buy a horse without seeing it in the flesh.

Lucky if it’s just the purchase price. Buying a horse under any circumstances is like lighting a fuse to a stick of dynamite buried in your bank account!

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:12 am

I just read more posts here and now looking back - I wonder how I could have been so dumb - crazy. :oops: :shock: :?

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:50 am

Not dumb! The very fact that you asked about it here proves it.

Bip
Herd Member

Postby Bip » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Don’t feel too bad, I seriously have the same impulse about once a month. My only saving grace so far is the number of horses I’ve seen advertised on the internet and actually seen IRL. Oh, plus the cynicism generated by three of my most recent horse purchases. I took three very different approaches and got my heart broken anyway.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Yes - this is a depression impulse triggered by the recent injury of my pony. His future soundness is questionable and may be an ongoing problem. I know several posters here are in a similar situation as myself. :cry: I always considered he would be my last purchase. We have been doing lots of rehab with daily hand walking and cold lazer therapy. (Vet said the treatments using stem cell modalities were not an option for this type of tendon injury.) I'm not ready to give up riding yet. Fortunately, the winter weather is not motivating to ride with frozen ground and bitter cold. But I lost riding time during the fall months with beautiful weather and it was very hard. I'll wait and see what the future will bring.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:24 pm

I think we all totally get where you are coming from.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Well, I have bought quite few horses sight unseen and most were projects or "rescues". I started about 10 years ago with PMU foals. They were never handled and all the way from Manitiba , a photo and a sparse description. Every single one was great, sound, good natured, just needed training. Then my source for PMU rescues stopped . I tried a few projects but was less successful. 2 were very misrepresented. 2 turned out ok.

I dont recommend it unless you have your own facility, so you can minimize expense, are a canny trainer, and can afford to retire a horse for life.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”