Blanket washing question / laundromat

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Blanket washing question / laundromat

Postby scruffy the cat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:58 am

Question for those who have washed a horse blanket at a laundromat that doesn't expressly say, "No Pet/Horse blankets": my local laundromat only has a sign that says not to wash rubber-backed bath rugs. Nothing about pet stuff. I would love to wash my lightweight t/o but I'm afraid the stink would fill up the entire laundromat and get me blackballed. Has anyone done this and if so, how do you reduce the overwhelming stench of used horse blanket?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Blanket washing question / laundromat

Postby Josette » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:42 am

I would ask first and not risk an angry manager/owner. Many years ago a laundromat owner said he would fine anyone caught. Customers doing their bedding in the large washing machines get very upset by hair and odors left in the washer. I use a horse blanket service for many years now.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:59 am

If they do okay the horse blanket, wipe the machines out with both a damp rag, then a dry one, to remove the hair.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:07 pm

If mine are muddy I hose mine off before I take to the laundromat and let it dry in my garage.

I kind of sneK mine in ny putting in a black garbage bag.

Wash and add Downey Unstoppables to the wash.

When I'm done, I run an empty cycle with just soap and the Unstoppables again. The washer never stinks when I'm done. It's more e pensive that way, but at least I left it nice for the next person

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:19 pm

I use a shop vac on mine before running through the wash at home. That might help neutralize the mess/odor too.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:50 am

I sent mine to a pro horse cleaner. It was well worth the cost, believe me.

YOu can take blankets to self serve car wash and pressure hose them first

If you do use a laundrette, use the industrial machine and run an empty load after to sanitize. I was always concerned what the buckle hardware might do to the tub lining.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:54 am

Yeah, I would do a "rinse load" for sure. I have used a pro service up until now but whatever she's doing to my blankets is ruining them. I've had a new Schneider's come back leaky as a sieve and now my one year old Rambo Duo seems not to be waterproof any more. I don't want her touching my stuff any more. Plus it takes a month at least to get stuff back from her. So I'm looking for alternatives.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:34 pm

Also be sure to use a detergent specific to horse blankets!

Scruffy your pro service may not be using the right detergent.

There is a local service that many riders use, it I prefer to do them myself, the. I know they are done right.

I dry them on my parents large outdooor laundry line

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:18 am

It's interesting. She has been a "name" professional horse laundry for years. But I work at a tack shop that also uses her and I'm not the only one who is having issues with blankets she washed becoming very un-waterproof. The manager talked to her about it but she did not take any responsibility.

I've actually done the Nikwax professional training as part of my last job working for an outdoor outfitter so I know about appropriate washes and drying procedure. I would love to be able to do this on my own and not be beholden to anyone else.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:11 am

I have a machine in my basement specifically for blankets and pads and stuff. The new house has a laundry hookup in the basement, so I'm hoping I can carry on when I move--however, the insurance agent was very interested in whether there was a laundry in the basement (below grade), so it might not fly.

I must admit, I just use el cheapo unscented laundry detergent, hang to dry, and I haven't had any particular waterproofing issues that I am aware of--but of course I live in the land of cold and snow, not rain.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:34 am

I have used the laundromat and always do an empty cycle of the washer after the horse blankets....except for the washer that stopped right in the middle of the cycle. Ei-yi-yi...what a mess (pulling soaking wet blanket out and moving to a different washer). They did refund my money for the washer that broke. I always minimize mud/yuck with a vacuum and/or stiff broom before I take them.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”