Some People

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Some People

Postby Hayburner » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:51 am

Saturday around 11:30 I headed out to the mall. I was on a semi busy 2 lane road that is also used by tractor trailers as there is an industrial park near by. Most drivers seem to go 45 to 50 mph and some faster. I was stopped at the red light looked over and a horse was loose but just standing there grazing. The other horse was still within the pasture. The loose horse wa also right by the fairly large pond and quite close to the road.

It's kind of a weird set up, the prior restaurant was converted into apartments and the barn and pasture are right below it. I know the horse owner and she owns the property, so I went to the apartments to let them know there was a loose horse. The kid said he would let the owner know. As the owner does not live there, but does live less than 1/4 mile away. I felt better but was still worried about a loose horse.

On my way home at 3:30 said horse was still loose!

I was fuming! What an irresponsible owner! What if the horse spooked and ran in the road and got hit or caused a deadly accident! The owner of the horse and I have no love for each other, personal isssues from many years ago. So, I didn't t want to call and bit@@ her out.

I go to the barn I board at which is 1/2 mile away tell the owner and he said, yeah same thing last summer, he called her and she said, it's fine he gets out all the time he doesn't go anywhere !

So she had no intention of going and securing the horse until she brings them in at night.

I wanted to stop and put the horse back in the pasture, but naturally he wasn't wearing a halter, nor did I have one in my car. I also worried he'd run into the road if I approached him.

This is a busy road! After my friend said he had the same issue with her I was tempted to call the police regarding the horse and her lack of securing the horse!

This is a woman in her 50's, she should know better! Just a totally irresponsible owner.

If I see this again, I will call the police. She needs to secure her pastures.

Rant over.....

KathyK

Re: Some People

Postby KathyK » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:59 am

Wow, just wow. She's running a huge risk by knowingly allowing a potential terrible accident. No wonder you have little love for her.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:14 am

For the horse's sake at the very least, I'd let her know you will call the police if you ever see the horse loose again. It doesn't have to come across as "threatening", just in the context of the danger to the horse and everyone else. Where I live, you can call animal control/sheriff for a neglected horse and nothing happens. You call about a loose horse and they show up. It's incredibly dangerous for all.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:30 pm

I think calling the police/sheriff about the potential hazard would be reasonable. You could share the address/name of the place where you believe the horse belongs.

We rarely see loose horses here but occasionally cattle will bust through bad fencing. I always call the sheriff and they are quick to respond. While most beef farmers are very attentive to their stock, a few are slack and are well known by authorities. Let them handle it.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:08 pm

I see no reason to address the woman herself. She knows what she is doing, or not doing. She does not really care. Address it with the police from the driver safety issue.

You have names and numbers of the other people involved who can attest to the frequency of the issue.

Sounds like, if it is the same horse over and over, a good situation for a casual disappearing act. Give the old friend a more attentive home, so to speak.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:03 pm

FWIW, and I don't know jurisdiction in your area...

When livestock is loose (and that's what this horse is, livestock), LE should be informed. Ask to ensure a Call for Service is created for this animal. This should be done every.single.time this horse is loose.

Yes, LE will get tired of it. If you are in a brand inspection state, they may choose to call the brand inspector.

The upshot of all these calls for service is to establish a pattern of behavior by the owner and whoever is responsible for maintaining the fencing. If someone does hit the horse, the victim(s) may file a civil suit against the owner and the repeated calls for service can be used.

Is the owner responsible for maintaining the fencing? Perhaps someone should point out to her that if her horse is hit, she may be held civilly liable....

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:06 pm

Friends of mine, years ago, had 2 horses get loose one night through no fault of their own. Car full of teens hit one of the horses, horse was euthanized and one of the teens died on scene. They were not held liable because we are a free-range area (driver's responsibility to watch for livestock) but they were absolutely devastated by the whole thing and never really recovered. That woman you describe is an idiot. I had a neighbor just like that...one of my friend's almost hit his horse late one night. He let them wander so he wouldn't have to feed them in the winter. :x

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:17 pm

Well, it is her property so it is her responsibility to fix the fencing or insure the horses do not get out.

I will definitely not contact her or her tenant again, I will just call the local police who I know quite well.

Her and her husband definitely have the financial means to have the fencing repaired, and would have a lot to loose should this horse cause an accident.

She's just a dip sH@t who lives in Lala land.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”