Tipping Barn workers

VBOpie
Herd Member

Tipping Barn workers

Postby VBOpie » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:44 pm

For those of you who board, do you tip the barn staff at Christmas? If so, how much?

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Tipping Barn workers

Postby heddylamar » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:48 pm

I did the last time I was at a barn with staff, but I don't recall how much — it's been 15 years. I also brought them donuts and a thermos of hot coffee on holidays.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:26 pm

I do. Generally it's about 10% of a month's board for each full-time staff member (there are 3). We do not coordinate our tipping, as there is a lot of variation between adult and student boarders (whose parents are paying for the horses) on this. The students don't tend to tip.

I also give the farm owners a nice present (bouquet, etc.) and the trainer a more modest present, but still nice (as I don't actually train with her but do like her place). It adds up!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:40 pm

I did at my old barn - $50 each for the weekday stall cleaner and person who feeds and turns out. If there was a steady weekend person, I'd typically do $20 for them plus cookies for everyone. Current barn has different people feeding on nights and cleaning on weekends, so it's hard to know how to allocate tips. I have no idea what the other boarders do, though one coordinated buying the BO a heated vest this year.
Keep calm and canter on.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:01 pm

At the last "public" barn I boarded at, they passed the hat for the 2 young brothers that lived in a very small home on the premises. They were terrific. I don't know if the absentee barn owner added to the pot. I hope so, they were quite well to do. There was ~35 horses there.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:05 pm

I have my gift bags ready to take to the barn now. There are two guys who live there and are wonderful. I give them $50 each, and I have a little twine cutter tool and key chain for them as well as some goodies. They are good people.

BO doesn't get money, but a card, goodies, bale cutter and key chain.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:53 pm

We have a staff of 5 barn workers. The head guy gets $100 and the other 4 get $50. They are in charge of cleaning, turning in and out, and general property maintenance. They work their asses off and always have their smiles on. They each are in charge of an aisle, and my aisle guy loves Miss A. This is the first year I’ve tipped the barn manager. He got $50 along with a bag of Reese trees. Two of the desk staff have been extremely helpful this year and they each got a $25 Starbucks card.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Thanks so much for your comments. The amount I gave was right in line with your suggestions. I always wish I could win the lottery and give a lot more. Our barn staff works hard and are always willing to do extras. I know it's not an easy job - it doesn't matter what the weather is, horses have to fed, turned in/out, blankets off/on, etc.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”