Curious question about flying horses (by plane)

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Curious question about flying horses (by plane)

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:35 pm

I was just wondering about all the show horses (or race) who routinely are transported across the country. The major migration of riders/trainers/horses to FL or other locals for the big shows. Do many of them fly and how convenient and costly is it? I'm not talking about international transport but within USA for coast to coast transport. I knew someone years ago who flew a horse from CA for around $5K and it included transport to farm. I found this site and it seems like it may be more common now to transport this way. I would think it is far less stressful for the horse than days on a shipping van especially with poor weather in parts of the country.

https://timdutta.com/flight-schedule/
Last edited by Josette on Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontfields

Re: Curious question about flying horses

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:57 pm

I am familiar with Dutta from our trainer's regular imports of horses from IRE.

It does seem that more US-based folks are using air to ship horses East/West--especially in the racing world. It would be interesting to learn about which other disciplines are doing this. Most of the dressage trainers I know in the east still use ground transportation for the winter migration to Florida, though.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:17 pm

I inquired about this, but I can't find the email with their reply. It was reasonable, but I guess it all depends on what one feels is reasonable. My quote from from California to Lexington, Ky. Then I'd have to ship up to NJ from KY, and there are always trucks on that route. I got my quote from Tex Sutton. texsutton.com They put their schedule and routes up on their site. As I recall, it was around 5-7k from California to KY. That may sound like a lot, but I didn't think so.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:39 pm

Yes - I was wondering about the east - west coast transport when viewing their flight map. The major show migration on the east coast do use the big shippers or private services to truck to FL show seasons. Very common to see Beacon Hill vans on rte 195 and NJ turnpike. It was many years ago that I knew someone who flew her sister's horse from CA to NJ - it was door to door service. I have no idea who she used.

MC - I think 5-7K is reasonable for the shorter transport time and I would hope less stress on the horse. The bad weather conditions across the country at times (including summer tornado season) would make it hard imo to truck super long distances. I've done it in the past and wished for an easier way. I think there may be some quota crtieria regarding number of horses to fill the plane. You may have to wait until a flight meets that number - but I don't know.....

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:05 pm

The horses travel in a special ULD (Unit Load Device) used by both cargo and passenger aircraft. Up to three horses can be carried in each ULD:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_load_device

Here is a nice little YouTube video of a team moving their horses from Europe to the USA for 2018 games using ULDs:

https://youtu.be/LYa2cMiwYlQ

As long as the airport's automated cargo handling system can handle the weight and size of the ULD carrying the horses, the customer is charged by weight and cube just like any other cargo.
Last edited by Literiding on Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:16 pm

A little off the migratory path OP refers to, but I use to board/train with the woman that the airlines employed to handle flying horses from Seattle to Alaska. It was pretty routine. That was in the early 90's. . .

And then there's Air Horse One, they don't use "crates", they construct modular stalls around the horses:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... /92782198/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Ai ... ORM=VDRVRV

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/look- ... horse-one/

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:31 pm

koolkat - FedEx and UPS - who knew! :lol: Thanks for those links. :)

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:48 pm

When you absolutely must have that horse overnight!!

Heaven help us if Amazon gets in on one click "buy it" for horses w/same day shipping!!!

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:52 pm

:lol: :lol: I'd be doomed as an Amazon Prime member with my trigger finger. :o :shock:

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:55 pm

bahahahaha we'd all be doomed!

I tried to get some quotes when I was moving Pal from Toronto to Las Vegas, but I never had much luck with anything other than ground quotes. Perhaps because we were coming from another country so that would have made it more difficult, I don't know. I would have paid a few thousand more to spare her riding in a trailer the whole trip which was if I recall correctly 4 days.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:02 am

I assume 5 to 7 K one way? I guess if you're fairly well off, it's reasonable.

For things like the national finals, if you need to fly from CA to KY, round trip 10 to 14 k seems like quite a lot of money to me. And if you're from N. CA, you have to ship the horse down to LA (5 to 10 hour drive depending on where you are) to fly out from there because they don't fly out of SF.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:58 pm

Every time I see this topic listed, I assume that we will be discussing Pegasus and his friends. Carry on...

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:14 pm

:lol: Ha - title corrected

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”