A little whine with my cheese...

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

A little whine with my cheese...

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:47 am

I know, in the setting of world problems it is nothing but what the heck!

Toward the end of October, I got a nasty cold. Sinus issues and coughing due to the drainage. I hadn't been sick (even a cold) in years. One day I had a low grade fever and stayed home from work that day...I haven't called in sick in probably 10 years. It took about 2 weeks to cycle through and go away...I thought. Saturday (a little over a week since the symptoms went away) the sore raw throat returned as have all the same symptoms...only worse :evil: . The low grade fever is back along with the lovely body aches. If I'm not much better in the morning, I will go to Urgent Care and get checked for the flu. Yes, I dutifully had my flu shot way back the end of September. I work at a hospital and it is mandated.

I really want to get back to being active and riding my horse but my damned body doesn't seem to want to cooperate :P . It has been about 12 years since I have been sound and now my immune system wants to crap out...lovely.
I think I need to go to a spa in Arizona (somewhere warm) and meditate, do yoga and eat twigs and sticks to see if I can't get a reset.

Back to the regularly scheduled program. A few jingles would be welcome.

Susan

Susan

Rhianon
Herd Member

Re: A little whine with my cheese...

Postby Rhianon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:53 am

Yuck. I think maybe your immune system is actually doing a good job--trying to get rid of the nasties. Jingles you can get it licked.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:01 am

There's been a wicked bug going around my area this fall. I had it full blown for about 2 weeks and I swear I still have some remnants of it - a full month later. I wish I'd gone in when it was at its peak and gotten antibiotics. A few people I know have done that and it seemed to help. I think a secondary bacterial infection sets in at some point during this illness and causes it to drag out even further.

Avola
Herd Member

Postby Avola » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:17 am

I second antibiotics if you can get them. We had this nasty bug going on in my neckof the woods last year around this time and everyone was getting sick,then feeling better, then getting sick again...went on for months and it was horrible. Turned out to be a bacteria floating around and antibiotics took care of it

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:11 am

I am pretty sure it is viral. None of the drainage has the characteristic of a bacterial infection. I don't want to contribute to antibiotic overuse and resistance if it isn't. I will see what the urgent care says in the AM. I am a pharmacist so pretty well versed re: infectious yuck. I guess most horse people are too...the gooier and ickier the better? :lol: .

Susan

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:16 pm

If you think it is viral I highly recommend Elderberry tincture or syrup. I make a tea and drink it a few times a week during cold and flu season.
Feel better soon!

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:36 pm

Hope you are improving. There is a lot of guck going around this season...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:51 pm

jingles that you feel better soon

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:28 pm

salty chicken soup ( or whatever) helps in so many ways. Pulls that inflammation down, tastes wonderful. This is the season to make soup which is so satisfying

Last winter I caught something. I was never flat on my back sick but I had pussy tonsils for 4 months. cultures , 2 cycles of antibiotics. blood work, never got a definitive diagnosis. I usually manage to dodge all the muck that flies around work starting 1 week after school opens. You can tell who has kids in school by who is walking around with a cold.

Chronic anything is a misery, You have my sympathy

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:49 pm

Hope you're feeling better. That sounds miserable!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks all. I feel quite a bit more human this morning. I guess laying in bed all day and still managing to sleep all night helps a bunch (of course it was my day off).

I had the last of my chicken noodle soup on Sunday. I ate the rest of that batch during the last go round. Maybe I will make another pot today. I think I have all the ingredients. The weather has been yuck the last few days so might as well stay inside and breath soup steam ;) .

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Oh yuck, that hasn't gone away yet? Hope you're able to kick it soon. Yeah, lots of soup can't hurt.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:34 pm

The soup was goood. Chicken broth, chicken, carrots, celery, cauliflower (I know not the norm but I always have a ton and it works well), onions, just a handful of noodles in the whole pot as I try and keep the carbs down and I season with Mrs. Dash. Sprinkle some shredded parmesan on top. YUMMM.

SF--I thought it had gone away but apparently not :twisted: .

Susan

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:26 pm

I'm sure my acupuncturist would recommend fish head soup. I just look at him and tell him, "not going to happen". I am sending jingles and healing vibes that you are feeling better!

Paints
Herd Member

Postby Paints » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:52 pm

I hope you are feeling better soon. I have had a crap year and my immune system is not at its usual strength. I got Rhinovirus B - that is the nasty strain circling in my parts and ended up 5 days in the hospital with pneumonia. Not to scare you, but glad you are getting it checked.

Jingles for a quick recovery.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:58 pm

Feeling better. It seems to be resolving a little faster this time around. I haven't had to medicate before bed for 2 days now :D .

I'm sure the jingles helped ;) .

Thanks,
Susan

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”