Something spiffy w pork tenderloin?

carpevita
Herd Member

Something spiffy w pork tenderloin?

Postby carpevita » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:52 pm

I've got 3 lbs thawing --last month boneless tenderloins were on sale for 2.49 a lb, so we stocked up on a half dozen--these are the last two.

Atm we've got the crockpot and electric burners as the oven isn't working, and my friends (housemates) are getting pretty fed up with the endless crockpot meals I've been churning out.
I am stumped I tell you!

We've done shredded pork and bbq to death, and were considering something maybe with cabbage this time.
I've never attempted egg rolls, wont I need a whole day and a couple of helpers?

HALP?!!

angela9823
Herd Member

Re: Something spiffy w pork tenderloin?

Postby angela9823 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Do you have a grill instead? If so, I'd cook it on that and cook on low for a while. I really love this recipe and it can easily be done on a grill instead: http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/291362 ... angy-Glaze

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:18 pm

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/meli ... ecipe.html

One of my favorite pork tenderloin recipes although I don't know how you would do this without an oven. IT MIGHT work in the crockpot.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:42 pm

Split it, stuff it with a mix of pancetta, garlic, sage and apricots, band aid it back together with sage leaves, salt it, wrap it in foil, cook on grill, turning occasionally. If it looks a bit pale when you unwrap it, just sear it in the hot grill.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:16 pm

Cut into chops, stuff with herbed goat cheese and cook on the stovetop. Smother in caramelized onions and mushrooms for extra deliciousness.
Keep calm and canter on.

Briarwood
Novice

Postby Briarwood » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:21 pm

Great timing, you guys! I bought a couple boneless tenderloins last week when on sale without knowing what I could/would do with them. Thanks for the question and the great suggestions.

(My oven works :lol: )

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:44 pm

I love Cantonese Pork Tenderloin cooked on the grill. Note: I use only a few tablespoons of peanut oil, not the 1/2 cup indicated in the linked recipe, and go heavy on the hot chili oil.

Logan's Mom
Greenie

Postby Logan's Mom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:04 am

Crock pot....just add onion, pepper and garlic to top of roast. A small bit of water to bottom.

stella
Novice

Postby stella » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:11 am

Slice it in to 1" medallions and grill. Yum.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Not sure if you can do this without an oven, but it would work on a BBQ on low or convection.
Split openpork tenderloin and pound flat and even thickness about 1/2 inch. Spread cranberry relish or your favourite fruit chutney over the whole thing. I also add goat cheese, but not necessary. Roll it up and secure log with toothpicks. Rub outside of log with salt and pepper and roast/bake for 30 - 40 minutes. If on BBQ I wrapped in foil to keep it from drying out while it cooked, and then uncovered it, turned up the heat and grilled the outside of it for a few minutes at the end just for the look more than anything.
To serve slice 1/2 inch thick spirals which look spectacular on the plate and people think you are a super chef when this was super easy.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks guys, I cooked some parsnips in oil til they were browned and soft, removed them and then cooked medallions with just salt and pepper.
The parsnips added just a touch of sweetness and it was really good, i'll do that again for sure.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:36 pm

I have this marinade that is sort of a chili lime type thing. I marinade the tenderloin in it overnight, then sear it on the grill, wrap it up in foil (with the marinade that was left in the container), and let it cook. It is so yummy!

ThursdayNext
Greenie

Postby ThursdayNext » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:40 pm

No oven is tough! I usually use a seasalt, rosemary, garlic and cracked pepper rub on pork loin roasts, but I'm not sure how you do it without an oven. ...

This Smoked Pork Chili is very good. Maybe you can adapt it. Rockabilly posted it originally, then bascar re-posted it, if I remember correctly. I have made this three or four times, substituting chorizo for ground pork and omitting the green onions. It calls for cubed pork shoulder. Does anyone know how pork tenderloin would do in place of the pork shoulder?

http://www.food.com/recipe/smokey-slow- ... ili-352335

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:53 pm

For crock pot and smoker recipes, I prefer the results using pork shoulder or another fatty cut. I think tenderloin is too lean for those kinds of recipes.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:34 am

For future reference, pork goes really well with paprika. I roast pork with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic (sometimes I don't add garlic, even though I love garlic). You can do chops or tenderloins with the same, it adds a lovely semi-smokey sort of flavour.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:04 am

A little late to the feast, but this is very good and in season! Also requires an oven, but there's always another day.

http://www.marthastewart.com/343662/apr ... ranberry-b

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”