Wildflower Mixes

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Wildflower Mixes

Postby Koolkat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:00 am

Hello - I was going to buy several packets of wildflower seeds for a dear longtime friend in College Station, Texas. Most of the sites I've looked at sell them by regional appropriateness, but I wondered if anyone had any particular brand they recommended.

And does anyone know if a Ben and Jerry's gift card is good at the grocery store (vs. their store). . . . :D

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Wildflower Mixes

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:21 pm

I don't know if you're buying in bulk or not, but Ernst Seed (https://www.ernstseed.com/products/) has a great selection and good prices.

I've also been very happy with the seeds from Prairie Moon Nurseries (https://www.prairiemoon.com/seed-mixes/ ). This source is better for specific flowers.

You can explore by zone, soil type, etc. to get a match for your friend.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:31 pm

Thanks for that, although as it turns out, Prairie Moon doesn't have a mix for that part of the world. I did find a good source though, Eden Bros (the seediest place on earth, LOL). Got a pollinator mix, late fall mix, and sunflower mix! I must be getting antsy for spring. :D

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:29 pm

Wildseed Farms is in Fredericksburg www.wildseedfarms.com not far from me, just a couple hours from College Station. Texas is such a large state that we have about 7 (or is it 9?!) different plant/topography zones.

Another excellent source of native Texas plant seeds for wildflowers and grasses is Native American Seed in Junction, TX www.seedsource.com Bill Neiman is a wonderful spokesperson for conservation and use of native plant species.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:37 pm

I'm learning from this thread--thanks!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:30 am

My neighbors got some great stuff from Lowes. If you have a Conservation District office near you, they often have early spring sales of seeds.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:52 am

Oooh I know! I know! Dollar Tree. They have AMAZING boxes of wildflower seeds for $1. They have sun, shade, bee attractors, etc. We planted them last year and just one box gave us amazing flowers, some of which are still here this year.

I'm assuming your location is WAish, so betting the shade ones would work great!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:09 am

Garden.org had this article in their newsletter this week:

https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/ ... 2020-02-01

Timely for me--I have a spot by the creek at the new house that I think probably needs to be a wildflower meadow!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”