Costa Rica: anyone been there?

texsuze
500 post plus club

Costa Rica: anyone been there?

Postby texsuze » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Thinking about taking a short solo trip somewhere, hopefully this year. Costa Rica is on the radar, as Nat Geo has some solo traveler discounts to limited locations. Cruising in one of their 'smaller' ships along the coast and taking in the national parks, along with hiking and kayaking.

Has anyone been down there and what were your impressions?

In a perfect world, I'd be going to Scotland for a wildlife cruise trip among the isles, but that may have to wait!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Costa Rica: anyone been there?

Postby Tanga » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:36 pm

Yes. I travelled solo and got around by bus. It was great and easy. I also have a friend who is an ex pat and lives there and loves it.

There are a lot of cool things you can do because it has Arenal, which is an active (mellow) volcano and cloud forests, and then all of the beach areas as well as lots of wildlife.

It's been awhile, but I think it's very reasonably priced, and very American/English friendly because so many live there.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:01 pm

I was there on a riding vacation. Loved it. Very beautiful and the people are wonderful. East Coast is lush/jungle and has a Caribbean flair to it. Over the mountains and on the West Coast, it's dry and even has cacti. National Parks are fantastic there and of course Arenal volcano and hot springs! They have no army so they spend their money on education. I think something like 95% of the population are educated.

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:49 pm

LeoApp - Did you go with Wendy Murdocks group?

Aren't you ladies afraid to travel alone?

I have many places I'd love to visit, but going alone holds me back.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:33 pm

In my case, I'd be part of a travel group, so not a true solo traveler, like many do. I just wanted to do a trip sans DH ;)

Hayburner, what's on your wish list for travel destinations?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:05 am

Texuze. Would like to go to Wellington or Ocala. San Diego zoo, Portugal to ride, or even a USA riding vacation. A beach vacation would be nice too.

My friends are either married or have no money.

My cousin and I did take a girls vacation last year and went to the Domican had a wonderful time, beautiful resort, layer at the pool all day, read books and just chilled.

I will be retiring very soon, so I will have time to get away

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:29 am

I take semi-alone trips. Mom travels a good bit internationally for conferences and the such, and I ta along for a free hotel room and occasional sight seeing partner. We spent a week in Jerusalem several summers ago, and I walked all over the old city, Jerusalem, parts of the West Bank, and took the bus to Tel Aviv and spent time wandering around there. It was great! I ate so much amazing food, checked out a few museums, and walked the large markets in both cities. But, my favorite part was walking the different neighborhoods.

Last fall we spent a week wandering around Scotland — I had to be home before her conference for my neibling's wedding. And eight years ago, we spent 2 weeks in South Africa.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:29 am

spent a week on the west coast then up to Monteverde and Santa Elena which were my favorite locations. Arenal is nice but was a bit more "touristy" than I like, Had a great hike up through and down Serra Chato which is the next volcano south. I would happily return to Monteverde for a deep saturation of the wonderful nature.

The fresh fruit is amazing and the people hospitable and gracious

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:36 am

as far as traveling alone I do so almost exclusively in europe. I alternate solo travel and focused science volunteerism or specialty group tours. I have no fear of traveling alone because there is no more danger there than there is in my home town. One must be reasonable. I have traveled extensively in England, alone. I do Inn to Inn walking tours and have done so in Ireland France portugal and England ( extensively). I went to Singapore on my way to Papua New Guinea a year ago. I also traveled solo to deep South Africa and Peru and had a few days on my own before joining my group.

I refuse to be frightened by the world. My next big trip is to Japan next year mostly for a competition. I might go to Guyana joining the leader I went to New Guinea with . I have to think about my time allowance from work.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:36 pm

My riding vacation was with Equitours. I was with a friend for that ride. However, I did a riding vacation through the Loire Valley last year by myself and it was fantastic. In fact, I am going with the same tour guide this Sept and doing a Normandy ride. I absolutely loved the food, the wine, the sights and the accommodations. And my mare was fantastic!!! Going alone to Europe was no big deal for me. I was by myself in Paris for the first day and went to a few museums. Then took the train to the Loire Valley and took a cab to the first hotel of the tour. After that I was with the group. I wasn't scared or lonely. I don't mind being by myself for a few days. You just have to do your research ahead of time and know where you are going and what you need to do regarding your phone, ATM's etc.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:05 pm

OK, my Costa Rica trip is booked for November :) One of the NatGeo expeditions on one of the small ships, with land-based activities plus snorkeling (haven't done that in 20+ years...), kayaking and maybe a pony ride through the jungle ;) I'm betting on the "corona cootie" to have fizzled out by the time I'm ready to get on a plane, so fingers crossed....

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:42 pm

Those NatGeo expeditions are well-regarded! I am hoping the same thing for my trip in late August/early Sept.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:52 pm

Planning to go next year, in early Spring for here (not during fire season, I don't go farther than the grocery store during fire season anymore!) Going to celebrate my 50th :shock: and hopefully having FINALLY finished college :lol: (never too late right?!) and to spend some one of one time with a dear friend (of UDBB origin) who lives halfway across the country and the real reason, to see SLOTHS!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”