OK, sorry in advance... dog poop.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

OK, sorry in advance... dog poop.

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:46 am

For one reason and another, though we like dogs and I grew up with them, we do not have one, so I am unfamiliar with this problem.

The previous owner of our new house had several large dogs (don't get me going about the hair in the house.) As the snow has started to melt off, I realize that I have the best part of an acre of dog poop covered lawn to deal with. It's kind of gross. I'd like to think that it's just a winter thing, but there's enough of it that I think she never damned well picked it up.

What's the protocol? Pick it all up? (How? what do I do with it?) or leave it to dry out and just mow it when the time comes?

I'm somewhat bitter because here I am at home diligently chipping horse poop out of melting ice in my run-ins so my purchasers won't have to deal with it, and then I've got this...

piedmontfields

Re: OK, sorry in advance... dog poop.

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Wow, that is awful. :shock:

I would suggest picking it up and putting it in the trash/landfill. Dealing with this in winter will be much more pleasant than in warmer temps. Typical dog diets do not tend to lend themselves to stools that fade away in 3-6 months (although very high protein/high fat diets do yield smaller stools that do dry out and disintegrate more quickly).

Our property had heavily aged goat manure in the run in sheds, but honestly that wasn't that bad!!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:44 pm

Gross. I would bag it and throw it out. Maybe do it in stages, cleaning up the area closer to the house first. It will be easier when the weather is dry.

You have my sympathy; we had renters who (unbeknownst to us) had 3 large dogs that they never picked up after. My husband spent hours and hours picking poop and cigarette buts out of the back yard.

I hope the buyers of your property appreciate how clean you are making it for them!
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:49 pm

SF, yes, my new owners are certainly benefiting from my experience. I'm going to send a cleaning crew through after we move out! But I'm a) only moving 10 miles so bound to bump into them, and b) trying to sell them another chunk of land atm, so I need to keep them happy. My seller left not only town, but the state, so I dont think she gave a... (how appropriate....)

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:40 pm

Oh my, what a mess. I would clean it up now. I don't think dog poop is something that you mow over like horse manure.

I would be pretty mad about that and the hair. I'm a dog lover and Leaving poop no matter the weather is just gross.

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:32 am

I would be inclined to have a tiller just churn everything into the ground and smooth it and re-seed. If you can hire someone to till the area, would be the best because stuff sticking to the tires is enough to make me gag.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:04 am

I would do everything possible to get the feces out of the environment via the garbage can. If they were that lazy on pickup I shudder to think of the potential parasite load in the dogs.

Depending where you are I would think twice and three times about being barefoot in the lawn area.

If hookworm is in the soil and you live in a warm moist climate ( SE US) it is the gift that keeps giving to both other dogs and humans

Since you are in Utah (?) you might have an easier go of it, but they have potentially infected the soil and your pet dog or cat may have risk

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:08 pm

It boggles my mind how disgusting some people are. You said the house was gross. The yard is just an extension of that attitude. I guess you should be thankful the dogs were house trained. <sarcasm/>

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:00 pm

I would get a poop scooper or shovel and start chipping out and collecting as much as possible before it gets too hot. Flies love breeding in dog feces so get it up asap. I would make squares or areas and try pick up one area at a time. To manage it

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:11 pm

I don't know how urban of an area you are in, but around the suburbs of Chicago, there are services that will pick up the dog poo so you don't have to.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:13 pm

Yes, I think this is just going to be a get on with it and get it done job. Sigh. Fortunately we get very hard freezes her so don't generally have to worry about parasites, but yes, I can't see walking across it barefoot for a while!

Pooper scooper it is--that or a muck fork. They were big dogs...

I sure as hell don't want to till the whole thing--it's nice old turf with irrigation heads all over the place.

4" of snow again yesterday, so it has all miraculously disappeared again. Until it hits 60 at the end of the week. Before it snows again next weekend.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:08 pm

I second the sections. That way there will be visible progress.

Ick ick ick.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:35 am

Well, if you are really strapped for time, you might be able to hire it done.

Around Boise there are several services...Poop 911, Poop Champs, etc.

Yeah, it isn't going to go anywhere very soon on it's own. I just don't get people and their laziness and lack of respect for the property.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:41 am

I would pick it up, bag it, and put in trash as you can. Carnivore poop is way grosser and slower to break down than horse poop.

I'm pretty obsessive about pick up my dog's poop. I find a manure fork and a 5 gallon bucket lined with a plastic bag to be the best solution. I reuse shavings bags for that. They're strong and at least I'm getting a second use out of them.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:44 am

That's disgusting. Sorry you're having to deal with all the filth inside and outside.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”