Dog Adoption Process

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Dog Adoption Process

Postby Hayburner » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:59 pm

So now that I am retiring I am considering adopting a shelter older or young dog.

I have not had a dog for a good 6 years as my work schedule and 2 horses were enough on my plate.

I recently filled out an application and now with all this Corona Virus lockdown the rescue said they were taking done the recent post that had a puppy I was super interested in. So the wait is on to see if I hear from them.

I have to wonder if not having a dog recently, no fenced yard, and that I do smoke are huge negatives for adoption. They asked where the dog would stay when I'm not home, I wrote loose in the house unless not potty trained yet then it would be in a crate or my laundry room. I am looking for a small dog.

The positive is I live in a sidewalk commmunity with access to walking trails, I'm retired so I'll be home, No kids, financial means to care for the dog and my last dog was 16 when I had to put to sleep for his health reasons, I have never given away a pet.

Maybe I should not have said I smoke, tho I do smoke outside most of the time and confine my smoking to one area in my home.

Anyone ever had issues with being rejected when adopting from a rescue? If so, did they give a reason?

I do have great references, unless the smoking is a huge NO in their eyes.

Chisamba

Re: Dog Adoption Process

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:21 am

Some adoption places are ridiculous, and others very reasonable, the trick is to keep looking til you find a rescue that will work with you

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:03 pm

I don't think smoking is an issue in the adoption process. At least, when I was interviewing potential adopters, it wasn't for me....nor had I been counseled to consider that.
The fenced yard is a nice to have these days not a necessity. It would be great if you had one. But not everyone can. And rescues really do understand that.
I will ask you to remember this. The rescues are trying to do their best to find the best home for that dog. There are a lot of bad people out there. As someone who interviewed people looking to adopt a foster dog I had, I can tell you that it is often scarey to see what people think is right to do by a dog.

I currently have Bailey who was so badly abused. She is my dog (not a foster) and what we KNOW was done to her was horrific. There are a LOT of bad people out there. You know you aren't one of them. But the rescue does not. Bear with them. Their job is HARD.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:00 pm

Thanks for the replies!

If the rescue thing falls thru - I may try to become a foster. We have an excellent Senior dog rescue organization, but I think they too want a fenced yard.

I do have a privacy fence from my neighbors that I could totally enclose, but I'd prefer not to do that. I did not have a fence for my other 2 dogs and they both lived long and healthy lives. One passed at 18 the other at 16.

These dogs are not freebies - the adoption fee is $600 - which they give all the shots, deworming,spaying, etc. So that is reasonable for all they do before you take a dog home.

Fingers crossed that I hear something from them - but, it not, it wasn't meant to be. Others will come along!

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:58 pm

https://www.vrcpitbull.com/dogs/fancy/

The TV show Pitbulls and Parolees is working with a prison in PA to ready dogs for adoption. If you search their site many of their dogs are non-pitties. Not all their dogs require the fenced yard. I've viewed their TV show and some dogs do not require the fenced yard as it is based on the individual dog and adoptee situation. Also, there were about a dozen dogs in a recent show that were dropped at this PA Prison system. They were selected for their temperaments and hopefully high success to be adopted out. Might be worth a look. :)

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:28 pm

I think it's best to be honest about everything even if you're worried it will disqualify you for a particular rescue. There are plenty of great dogs that need homes and if you keep at it you'll find the right one.

We adopted an "older" dog from the shelter at the end of January. She's estimated to be around 7 so not really that old especially for a small dog but I think once they start getting up there then they can be harder to find homes for. Anyway she had come in as a stray in December, was spayed and then adopted out and was found as a stray again in January. The shelter microchips all their dogs before adoption so they contacted the adopters who didn't make any effort to come get her. I'm sure that's part of what what the rescues are trying to avoid by having a more difficult adoption process than the shelters. She's super sweet and we love her so she's stuck with us forever now.

Good luck in your search.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:36 pm

When we were adopting the piggies from a local rescue, the phone interviewer asked what grain I feed them. I knew it was likely I wasn't feeding their favorite, and wanted to change what we were feeding, so I told her. And then said, "I'm not happy with this grain, but I'm not sure what else to feed. Do you have any suggestions?" The tone of our interview quickly changed, and she started educating me on their preferences rather than interrogating me.

I've adopted all of their preferences except the top 2 vets. They recommend 3 vets, but would prefer to use 2 vets who are a 2 hour drive in 2 different directions from us — if there's NO traffic. The third should only be used for emergencies. Well, I work. The third guy is 30 minutes away, and after many visits, I quite like him and his staff. So, meh.
Last edited by heddylamar on Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:30 pm

The rescue has reopened with restrictions due to covid 19. So they have started adopting dogs out.

So far, I have not heard from them about the puppy I was interested in, if I see it was adopted I will ask why I was eliminated. Not from a nasty point, but to help me determine what I might need to change in my lifestyle to be a better candidate in the future.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:17 pm

My rescue, not having a fenced yard would be a disqualifier. Thought process is because if you let them out to go potty, it's not safe without a fence. Maybe in your part of the world, potty breaks are only on-leash, but here not so much.

The smoking thing is not part of the home walk-thru checklist.

My rescue just wants to know that (1) The entire household is on board (2) The environment is safe and (3) The family will be responsible (ie care, not dumping the dog, etc).

They do an application, then do a home check/interview, and then call references (ie the vet).

Over the years I've gotten kinda philosophical -- the right dog will come to me. I rescue all my dogs, but have been rejected for dogs before, but the right dogs get to me anyway. So just be upfront and honest, and the universe will get you the dog you need.

Oh - and we are still adopting even in COVID - we just do virtual house checks, and are very careful in dog transfers.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”