King Charles Spaniels

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

King Charles Spaniels

Postby Hayburner » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:34 pm

Anyone have experience with this bred?

Wondering about health issues, etc.

The pup I'm looking at is part KCS.

I've read a few articles on-line but just looking for hands on experience with the bred.

Thanks

KathyK

Re: King Charles Spaniels

Postby KathyK » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:55 pm

This pup, being a mixed breed, will have hybrid vigor, and not necessarily any of the fairly minor health issues of the CKCS breed. Go get that pup!
Last edited by KathyK on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:35 pm

Actually hybrid vigor is a possibility but I have seen multiple KCS mixes that have developed/inherited the expected cardiac, eye and ear problems as well as respiratory issues that this breed can possess. Testing such as Wisdom panels and other genetic tests may screen for some of the inheritable diseases of concern.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:55 pm

FWIW, the breed is the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel of CKCS for short ;)

Some might refer to them as the King Charles Spaniel but fanciers of the breed may become incensed ;)

They are cute dogs.

Always an excellent resource for any pure-bred dog is their national breed club. In the US, that would be the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club. There is an entire drop-down list regarding health of the CKCS.

https://www.ackcsc.org

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:07 pm

I believe pictures are required....

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:40 pm

No hands-on experience, but I am familiar with someone from another board, who seems to be a very responsible breeder. She health tests and shows her dogs. Here is the FAQ section of her web site -

http://sonestafarms.com/cavaliers/faqs.htm

She has a lot of info on her web site, if you check out the other pages on it.

Saanich
Greenie

Postby Saanich » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:39 pm

Last August we lost our 9 year old Pomeranian to syringomyelia. As she suffered through this truly awful condition, I did extensive of research on it. It tends to affect dome headed breeds (the largest percentage by far being Cavaliers) in conjunction with chiari malformation which thankfully our Pom did not have. Her suffering with syringomyelia alone was bad enough.

I'm not saying that the dog you are considering has either or both of these conditions but recommend you have the dog thoroughly checked out by a vet who has experience with both conditions before you make your decision.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:22 pm

KathyK wrote:This pup, being a mixed breed, will have hybrid vigor, and not necessarily any of the fairly minor health issues of the CKCS breed. Go get that pup!

Hybrid vigor does NOT apply to mixed breed dogs. Mixed species are hybrids not mixed breeds!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:31 pm

Aren't CKCS prone to heart problems? I know 2 people who lost 5-7 year old dogs due to heart problems.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Thanks for all the replies! I have t heard back from the rescue yet, the Corona virus has us on lockdown!

Saanich- I did read about this disease and how the CKCS have a good chance of getting this. That certainly worries me, also many other health issues they can have. My last dog did have many issues with one ear,finally the vet said it's mostly due to the shape of that particular ears canal. Also, bladder stones, torn acl, allergies, congestive heart failure, etc., etc. he did live a good life and till he was a bit beyond 16.

I'm just hoping to not start out with health issues, I finally have more time for dog ownership and wish to enjoy every minute of it!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:36 pm

Chancellor can you elaborate on hybrid vigor and hybrids?

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:09 pm

FWIW, from personal experience, I agree with Chancellor about no hybrid vigor in mutts. We adopted a brown pound hound, probably a lab - chow mix, who developed an autoimmune disease. Her body destroyed platelets, leading to internal bleeding. My vet was able to figure out what was going on, and we were able to control the condition with prednisolone. She was on the drug for life, and she did live a long, fun life. But not a disease I previously would have expected from a mixed breed!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:37 pm

I think the idea behind pups of a mixed breed having less of a chance of having the health problems that are associated with specific breeds is because if both parents have to pass the issue then a parent of a different breed may be less likely to have the issue and pass it on. It certainly doesn't mean that mixed breeds can't or won't have health problems just maybe a bit less likely for some typically breed specific issues.

I think that all made sense but if it doesn't I apologize, I'm very sleepy today..

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:08 pm

Chancellor wrote:
KathyK wrote:This pup, being a mixed breed, will have hybrid vigor, and not necessarily any of the fairly minor health issues of the CKCS breed. Go get that pup!

Hybrid vigor does NOT apply to mixed breed dogs. Mixed species are hybrids not mixed breeds!

Hybrid vigor absolutely does apply to outcrossing, as opposed to inbreeding, of animals or plants.

"In biology, a hybrid is the offspring resulting from combining the qualities of two organisms of different breeds, varieties, species or genera through sexual reproduction."

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... CAs&uact=5

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:18 pm

I'm afraid autoimmune diseases and immune-mediated diseases do not know specific breeds per se. While I may see purebred dogs with such diseases, the majority of my patients are heinz-57 models, mostly of unknown breeding.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:30 pm

KathyK wrote:
Chancellor wrote:

Hybrid vigor absolutely does apply to outcrossing, as opposed to inbreeding, of animals or plants.

"In biology, a hybrid is the offspring resulting from combining the qualities of two organisms of different breeds, varieties, species or genera through sexual reproduction."

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... CAs&uact=5

Ok You can choose to believe what you like. I choose science

https://www.petguide.com/health/dog/wha ... r-in-dogs/

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:47 pm

I am sorry Chancellor, there was nothing scientific about the article you posted.

The article uses the infertility of a mule to claim hybrid vigor doesn't exist which I find rather is rather ridiculous.

Hybrid vigor can have several definitions, and one if those definitions does include crossed breeds.

But , it clearly does not eradicate genetic weaknesses unless the gene requires a double recessive to affect the offspring

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:41 pm

There is nothing scientific about that article. YOu are right. However the science I understand does not define hybrid vigor of a cross bred dog.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”