How to find a GOOD lawyer?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

How to find a GOOD lawyer?

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:01 pm

I live next to a school which has told me that they do not nee me to move, but I will no longer like living where I live. They have offered to buy my property and have given me some paperwork to look through, and it is all based on eminent domain laws in Massachusetts. Some of the information is fairly straightforward and some clearly needs the advice of a lawyer. Google tells me there are a few lawyers who specialize in eminent domain in our area, but how to determine if they are good? There will be no litigation so they can't expect a big payout and I don't know that I can afford downtown fees.

Any suggestions?

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: How to find a GOOD lawyer?

Postby heddylamar » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:13 pm

I'd start by asking friends, neighbors, etc if they have a recommendation for any sort of lawyer, then call that lawyer for a specific recommendation.

The local bar association would be a good place to check too.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:25 am

I will ask the lawyers I know...

I am sorry you are in this spot, especially right after remodeling your home!

Maple
Greenie

Postby Maple » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:27 am

Oh no, scruffy - and you just renovated your whole house to be just what you wanted!
Where would you go? :(

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:32 am

scruffy - I have no advice to offer, but I'm so sorry you are going through this after all the work you put in on your place.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:56 am

My ideal house would be something affordable so I could do another remodel and have it be what I want but I don't know if that's realistic since fixer-uppers and town houses in this neighborhood are now going for $1.2 million and up. There are downsides to having the smallest house in the neighborhood. We can't change location too much because where we are is essential to my husband's job situation. We'd like to stay, really, but I should show you the drawings of what they are planning on doing. The cute little school next to me is going to close to triple in size and expand into the park in front of the house. It will be like living 14 feet away from a hospital building or something.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:20 am

Ah, Scruffy--that's rotten.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:26 am

Rotten is right. I'm so sorry.

In general, word of mouth through other lawyers is how you know if someone is good or not. Unfortunately I don't have professional contacts for lawyers in MA but maybe wicky or BIP might know someone who knows someone?

Again, rotten. I'm sorry :(

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:04 am

Wicky has reached out. Very kind of her.

It's a fairly small area so not a ton of people interact with lawyers who specialize in it. Martindale did confirm that the big office downtown does have expertise in it. I'm frightened that I can't afford them. I am not litigating so there is no big payout. I just want help with getting a fair deal.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:15 am

Let me ask my DH, there is a website for lawyers that they get both peer reviews and client reviews on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:21 am

Good luck Scruffy.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Oh man, Scruffy...that really sucks!

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:47 pm

The peer reviewed website is likely Martindale, which has been helpful so far. I'm getting closer. Thanks.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:54 pm

Yep the website is Martindale. Hope you can work it out.

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:49 pm

No help, just hugs
{{{scruffy the cat}}}

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:31 pm

aww scruffy that stinks! Not something you even would think is a possibility. Now you have to worry about the school that ate scruffy's house. :(

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Wow! I'm familiar with imminent domain regarding building roads and highways. Never thought about it being used for hospitals and schools. What is your timeline? This is all kind of awful, I'm so sorry for you.

mld02004
Herd Member

Postby mld02004 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Sorry to read about your predicament scruffy!

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:56 pm

well, geez. *rude gesture*

The lawyers I've worked with have been good enough not to charge me for the initial phone consultation in which they outline their fee structures. It's not uncommon for them to use their more junior people for a lot of the grunt-work; my attorneys have been very up-front that they would reduce the fees accordingly.

ThursdayNext
Greenie

Postby ThursdayNext » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:01 pm

This really sucks!

Scruffy, at what stage is this "project?" When might you have to move?

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Would it be possible for them to move your house to another lot at their expense?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:50 am

Wicky came through! I had a very productive conversation with a very competent lawyer this afternoon. I feel better now. Thank you!!

And the answer is yes, the town would pay for me to move my house to another lot. That being said, there are actually no lots in my town available. It is a very, very, "hot" town for real estate so every square millimeter is filled with something. Finding an empty lot would be like finding the Holy Grail.

The timeline is anytime starting now and within the next 2 years.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:29 pm

YAY Wicky!! WOOT WOOT!!

So how about a teardown? Are there any falling down homes left there or in a neighboring town?
Abandoned anything you could get creative with?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:44 pm

suz wrote:So how about a teardown? Are there any falling down homes left there or in a neighboring town?
Abandoned anything you could get creative with?

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Not a teardown but something that needs a ton of work. In my town, even the really dismal houses are super expensive- there's one nearby which is on a lot so small there is no yard, needs a full remodel and systems, and is *still* over a million dollars.
We are expanding our location search somewhat, but my husband still needs to be able to get to work and clients in a reasonable timeframe.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:23 pm

Well, if hubby's job search doesn't pan out, then we'll have a 'cheap' house in Waban up for sale.. ;)

You're also trying to stay in the school district?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:42 pm

I'll bet that "cheap" house isn't as cheap as you think it will be.

No, school district is not a factor any more. Distance to workplace (current and future) is.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:03 pm

Don't overlook commercial real estate - often old funky commercial buildings are too expensive to repurpose so towns are very open to residential conversion. It helps to revitalize often quiet areas. Plus you get the whole modern edgy living space vibe.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:15 pm

bascar wrote:Don't overlook commercial real estate - often old funky commercial buildings are too expensive to repurpose so towns are very open to residential conversion. It helps to revitalize often quiet areas. Plus you get the whole modern edgy living space vibe.

Oh yes. Bad Bill, my awful late brother-in-law-ex-brother-in-law-brother-in-law did exactly that- turned a warehouse space into a great loft. This is his place http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazi ... neon_loft/ - very cool- he had a real eye for design. I expect it took up all the space in his brain that is usually occupied by a conscience and a soul.

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:01 pm

scruffy, have you thought about having your current house actually MOVED at the SCHOOL'S EXPENSE? If you wanted to live close to where you are now and you can find the right size lot in your present township, you might be able to get them to shoulder the moving costs or perhaps SPLIT THE MOVING COSTS. It's not cheap but it can solve the heartache of leaving the perfect house behind. Also, in an expensive town, it's always possible that there are homeowners who might consider splitting their lot or their acreage to save on taxes. Here's one link to describe the house moving process:

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/re ... way-to-go/

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:36 pm

Sorry for my above post, scruffy, I rushed through these posts and didn't see mention of you thinking about moving the house. I would get a PLAT MAP of your town and see who's got larger lots and what their taxes are and go from there. Best of luck! We've had several extremely large wooden Victorians moved successfully in my town. Even a large brownstone was moved.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:32 am

Yes- I did refer to this above thread. I'd be open to them moving my house but there are no lots available in Newton. Period. So I'd have to buy a house, then demolish it, then move it. They won't pay for that!

FWIW, we were looking at houses in your old neighborhood but they're all $2 million +!

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:20 am

Hmmm, I'd forgotten mentioning I was from Newton. When I was a kid, Newton was a real family town. Our backyard neighbor had a lovely old REAL New England BARN. Another childhood friend lived in a beautiful brownstone w/a brownstone carriage house. Newton was a TREASURE of such homes because the countryside there supplied the city of Boston for sooooo many years w/beef and dairy and fruits and veggies and the farms were only gradually overtaken by the brownstones and the estates. My folks sold the acreage behind our house and someone built there. But just because lots aren't listed for sale doesn't mean someone might not consider selling you land if they could get the variance and the zoning worked. Good luck w/the search...

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”