Well that was exciting!

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Well that was exciting!

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:29 am

We'd just sat down with our salads tonight when we thought we heard the forecast windstorm approaching. Then the house started shaking... and rocking... and the chandelier started swinging. My husband, a California native, pretty much pinpointed the magnitude and distance from the epicenter well before it was available on the USGS earthquake website.

A 6.5 about 200 miles from here, up in the mountains. :shock: Last earthquake I felt was a few years ago, and only because I was up on the 16th floor of a swaying hotel building in Reno. People on the lower floors didn't feel it.

So far it seems like little to no damage in Boise. I texted a co-worker who lives closer to the epicenter, in a town that was devastated by the biggest quake in Idaho history in 1983. 6.5 would be our second biggest. Haven't heard back, so I'm hoping it's just that she has her work cell turned off at night.
Keep calm and canter on.

Anne
Herd Member

Re: Well that was exciting!

Postby Anne » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:39 am

oh, 6.5's a biggie, only 10km deep too. Glad all is OK with you; tectonics continue, despite what is happening in the biosphere :-)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:38 am

The West is restless, it would appear. Here in Salt Lake two weeks ago, now you.

As long as Yellowstone doesn't blow, we are good...

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:58 am

I heard about the quake today! Glad you are doing OK! I didn't even know Utah and Idaho got earthquakes and now it's like the world seems to be ending.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:15 pm

That's a big one. Glad you're okay and hope your co-worker is, as well.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:23 pm

That's a wakeup moment!!

We had an afternoon 5.8 about 70 miles away in 2011 and my coworkers were all confused. It really shook the building, a few people fell, filing cabinets fell. Fortunately no one was hurt. Meanwhile — SoCal girl here — I was under my desk, and yelling at people in my vicinity to shelter.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:50 pm

We've had occasional earthquakes here; but, I will be the first to admit I wasn't always sure what was happening. I'm glad the damage was minimal and you're okay.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:12 pm

Wow glad you're ok and hope you heard back from your coworker as well.

We felt one here in Las Vegas last year from California that did a fair bit of damage there but just wobbled us a bit. I was just like "something weird is happening" but my husband who grew up in California said immediately that it was an earthquake and sure enough it was.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:28 pm

Hopefully SueB will check in. She is closer to the epicenter, I think. But so far it seems like there was minimal damage since it was centered on a sparseley populated mountain area.
Keep calm and canter on.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:31 pm

heddylamar wrote:That's a wakeup moment!!

We had an afternoon 5.8 about 70 miles away in 2011 and my coworkers were all confused. It really shook the building, a few people fell, filing cabinets fell. Fortunately no one was hurt. Meanwhile — SoCal girl here — I was under my desk, and yelling at people in my vicinity to shelter.

So funny, because my impulse was to go stand in a doorway and my husband is like - no just stay sitting right here. As the crow flies, the epicenter is actually about 70 miles from us, and he guessed 60, as well as the direction, and that it was a 6+. So I guess earthquakes are one situation where I'll listen to him. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:30 pm

I tell ya, Mother Earth is send us warnings. Very scary.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:14 pm

Imperini wrote:Wow glad you're ok and hope you heard back from your coworker as well.

She just got back to me and said it was intense, but everything seems to be OK. I think we were very lucky with origin and type of shaking!
Keep calm and canter on.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:22 pm

I'm so glad you all are OK! Any reports from your barn about how the horses reacted?

I have felt a few minor quakes here in Western Colorado, and a weird one when I was floating on an air mattress in a sheltered cove on Lake Powell when a weird little blip of a wave went through. Experiencing a serious quake is NOT on my bucket list!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:32 pm

The horses had just been fed, and one boarder was in the indoor arena, which has about 10 stalls on the side. She said it sounded like a big wind gust hit the building and all the horses startled, then immediately went back to eating, but the shaking wasn't as much as in our house, maybe due to it swaying on the foundation?

I went out and saw my girls about 1.5 hours later and they seemed completely unperturbed.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:20 am

Yeah...fun :P . I had just walked into my house and there was kind of a thump then the windows started rattling. Sometimes, they do that with when larger commercial aircraft or some visiting F-16's take off at the airport but there weren't any planes flying :? . I stood in a doorway ('cause I had just come in the house). One cat freaked and dove under the couch and the other looked at me with rather big eyes wondering what the heck was happening (but he was too lazy to move). By now, the TV is kind of wobbling around on the stand (bad me, I don't have it anchored but it stayed up). Of course the chandelier in the dining room was swaying. The shaking didn't last long but it was enough to speed up my heart rate significantly. I kept hoping it didn't intensify as time went on and thankfully it didn't. I think the adrenalin finally wore off about 10pm. The ground didn't roll as bad as the last big one that hit in 1983 not far from the epicenter of yesterday's quake. I don't like that feeling for sure--the ground isn't supposed to roll like waves on the ocean.

My house is a manufactured house that was brought to the lot in two pieces (it is on a concrete foundation however). When I moved in the paint on the ceiling at the apex where the two halves were joined was cracked. Also some paint cracks around my bathroom door and the br window. I finally got around to painting the interior of the house this year and patched those cracks. Post quake, the paint was intact. I do need to do a good outside inspection but doubt I will find anything.

My barn owner sent out a group text within minutes...I think they were probably out feeding and said none of the horses had any reaction to it. Now the flock of turkey's that wandered through last week elicited a lot of hubbub.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:19 am

Are you guys still getting after shocks?

We are still rocking and rolling here... another 4.2 this morning. Which when combined with a spring blizzard made for a very rude awakening!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:38 am

Not that I've noticed. There were a few moments when I thought I was getting vertigo a few days ago. Maybe I can blame it on aftershocks. I hope your part of the mountains calms down soon!
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:43 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Are you guys still getting after shocks?

We are still rocking and rolling here... another 4.2 this morning. Which when combined with a spring blizzard made for a very rude awakening!

The TV station I watch, the weatherperson always show the earthquake map and all the aftershocks. The frequency was slowing down but yesterday was quite active as I saw it Utah had more too.

I keep thinking I feel an occasional little 'ripple' from time to time. My house seems to be making more squeaks and creaks that it ever used to although, I am in my house far more than I have been since I moved in (thanks COVID-19). I had my AC serviced yesterday and the tech could not get the AC unit to turn on. It appears there was a loose wire in the thermostat. It worked fine last summer. My theory is that it was loose on installation and the EQ made it looser? Who knows.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Benatus
Greenie

Postby Benatus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:42 am

I was 127 miles from it and while it was long, it was minor.

I was in Japan for 5 years, we had hundreds while we oived there

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”