"Never a lender or borrower be" is good advice.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

"Never a lender or borrower be" is good advice.

Postby Rockabilly » Mon May 25, 2020 4:16 pm

Some years ago I loaned my beautiful Laura Ashley coat to my sister-in-law. She has not spoken to me in years and so much was happening in my life that I never asked for it back. I would like it back. I thought of writing her a note asking for it back and to take it to the dry cleaners where I could pick it up.

What do you think? Is this a crazy idea?

Benatus
Greenie

Re: "Never a lender or borrower be" is good advice.

Postby Benatus » Mon May 25, 2020 4:19 pm

No harm in asking, but be prepared for a sad outcome.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon May 25, 2020 4:52 pm

Benatus wrote:No harm in asking, but be prepared for a sad outcome.

You're right, Benatus, but I won't be sad. I won't be disappointed either. I will just accept it as it is, but really wondering about asking for it back. This "family" is so fractured and dysfunctional that it will never be fixed.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon May 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Rockabilly wrote:I will just accept it as it is, but really wondering about asking for it back. This "family" is so fractured and dysfunctional that it will never be fixed.

I'm sorry to hear this, Rockabilly. Regardless, you have such a good hearted nature, I know you can send a note that would kind and at the same time, fairly ask for your coat back. And if she choses not to do the right thing, you will be able to live with having written a note that was only in good faith.
Last edited by Koolkat on Wed May 27, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Tue May 26, 2020 5:07 pm

If you truly believed how flawed your family is, don't bother to ask for it back. You would get no response, or sadly your SIL might go nuts on you. Is it possible to find a replacement coat on eBay or other used clothing sites? That might be easier than getting into family bizness.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue May 26, 2020 6:11 pm

I would write a note to her. You would like the coat back, and there is a (maybe very) remote possibility that she is embarrassed by how long she has had it and would be willing to give it back.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu May 28, 2020 1:04 pm

I've always believed the saying about "lend things expecting to never get it back."

As in, if you DO get it back, it's a bonus. That includes money or items or whatever. If you're not willing to not get it back, then don't lend it.

It is a good way to operate. I've lent some things that I didn't get back and never worried about it, and lent a few things that I shouldn't have, wish I still had them. And in a few cases I got pleasantly surprised.

I would say depending on how volatile the relationship, it's at least worth asking -- but expect that it's gone forever.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu May 28, 2020 1:54 pm

Be aware that since this is an item of clothing it may now be “worn” enough that you won’t want it. Even the most favorite clothing item fades with age so I wouldn’t expect it to be in a condition to be worn after several years. So getting it back might not be a blessing. However, if this might be the first contact that might be good for the family relationship then go for it.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 pm

Thank You all for your responses. I read them with great interest. I did send her a note, very polite, asking for the coat back. I asked her to drop it off at a dry cleaner's and I would pick it up from there. Whether she does it or not I have no idea. I don't want a relationship with her. She destroyed that. I would like the coat back. The coat is considered vintage now and worth $600.00.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun May 31, 2020 5:54 pm

If she had any intention of returning it she would have done it long ago. Hopefully she responds in kind to your request.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:10 pm

So, Enquiring minds want to know...what came of this?

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:47 pm

Chancellor wrote:So, Enquiring minds want to know...what came of this?

So as they say in the south I was fixing to call the laundry and see it they had anything for me and I have just discovered they are only open limited hours and days right now so I wasn't able to talk to them yet, I haven't given up.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:34 pm

Chancellor wrote:So, Enquiring minds want to know...what came of this?

ah......no coat

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:49 pm

I have to admit, not surprised by this outcome. This would require her to take some sort of action in a bit of a vacuum (if that makes sense). I appreciate your feelings in this regard as to contact, but IMO, the most likely way to get the coat back would be one which requires little/zero effort from her. You would need to pick it up directly.

Josette

Postby Josette » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:15 pm

Not to be negative here - but she may no longer have the coat.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:27 pm

I have decided to let this go. I have too many other positive things to do in my life, but I know what kind of person she is. I've probably always known it as she is on her 5th husband. Anyway, I found a coat exactly like it on Etsy and I am going to buy it and be done with the whole situation. Fresh vegetables from my Amish neighbors are coming in and I have pickles to make! Thank You all for your wise words.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:17 am

That sounds like a very healthy decision Rockabilly! You can’t do anything about your relative, but letting this go will free you. And I like your decision to replace the coat that brought you so much pleasure.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:27 pm

Rockabilly wrote:I have decided to let this go. I have too many other positive things to do in my life, but I know what kind of person she is. I've probably always known it as she is on her 5th husband. Anyway, I found a coat exactly like it on Etsy and I am going to buy it and be done with the whole situation. Fresh vegetables from my Amish neighbors are coming in and I have pickles to make! Thank You all for your wise words.

Someday, I aspire to be your kind of person Rockabilly

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:37 am

Chancellor wrote:
Rockabilly wrote:I have decided to let this go. I have too many other positive things to do in my life, but I know what kind of person she is. I've probably always known it as she is on her 5th husband. Anyway, I found a coat exactly like it on Etsy and I am going to buy it and be done with the whole situation. Fresh vegetables from my Amish neighbors are coming in and I have pickles to make! Thank You all for your wise words.

Someday, I aspire to be your kind of person Rockabilly

Thank You very much, Chancellor. i hardly know what to say. I am nobody special, but I have lived long enough to realize sometimes people aren't able to follow through and maybe this is the situation with my sister-in-law. Maybe she has things (unknown to me) in her life that she is coping with and just doesn't have anything leftover for somebody else. I choose to think this way. It's much more peaceful.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:17 pm

Hello Rockabilly - I just wanted to let you know that the post I saw yesterday was a reminder all day of the power of forgiveness to bring us inner peace and make the world a better place.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”