Online dating apps

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Online dating apps

Postby PaulaO » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:40 pm

Is that what they are called? My therapist challenged me to browse ourtime.com . Of course it wasn't free but I've spent $25 on stupider stuff. Well, maybe not. This was pretty stupid. I canceled my membership after 3 days although I can still poke around til the 30 days are up. Let me tell you, it was discouraging. The number of men my age (63) or older... All I can say is women are expected to "keep up their looks" but men are not. In addition, many profiles had blurry/sideways selfies. I refuse to consider a man who wears a baseball cap in his picture. Toothless men who look homeless. No, just no. Really, what I need is a male gay friend to go to dinner or fancy stuff where you should have a date.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Online dating apps

Postby Tanga » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:30 pm

Every time I think I need to dump the husband I look into this. The last one I looked into was OKCupid, and it was pretty impressive.

It's been a long time, but eHarmony was always just expensive, and Match was the best bang for your buck. There are plenty of just friends options on these. It's always fun to look. :) https://www.oprahmag.com/life/relations ... ting-apps/

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:12 pm

yeah, it worked great for me but it took a few years of off and on trying. Just like anything, I guess.....have to persevere! It depends on how bad you want a partner. You have to do it because you want to, not because your therapist tells you to....
Yes, we all need a good gay friend, even me being married! ha!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:01 am

PaulaO. I need the same type of guy! LOL. It would be nice if he was also good at fixing the crap I break!

Otherwise, I am happily single, well still legally married but separated 10 years.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:47 am

LOVE my gay buddies!

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:09 pm

I met Jurgen 21 years ago on Love at AOL >;-> I was moving back to CA after many years away and I wrote to several people, women too, on that group to ask about schools, neighborhoods, etc. People were very nice and helpful. Jurgen and I wrote back and forth, a friendly exchange, he never asked for photos or anything. And here we are. So you never know. I have a friend who met her great husband on Match. My sister has been on sites on and off and her experiences have been hysterical omg! and some friends have had crazy hilarious experiences.
So I guess it all just depends >;->

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:09 pm

I met Michael on Yahoo Personals and we just celebrated our 17 year anniversary. I don't even know if Yahoo personals even exists anymore.

But let me tell you a funny (or maybe not so funny) story of my friend's experiences with dating online.
She agreed to meet a guy at a mall (VERY Pre-Covid). They had dinner etc and when they were going to leave, he sat in her car with her. He pulled out of his pants, two bras. He said, "Here, I got these for you". They were apparently, stolen.

Then there was the guy that was hoping she was a trans woman. She didn't even meet that guy!
There are other not so funny stories too.
I am so glad I am not dating anymore. Paula, I am sure that isn't what you want to hear. But in this day and age, we all need a little levity.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:21 pm

I don't want to date. Truthfully, I don't have the energy for it. For some reason my therapist thinks I want to date, possibly because I've said I get lonely sometimes, which is true. But being lonely sometimes doesn't mean I need to look for someone.... I've always said that if a man wants to meet a woman, he should buy a horse. Plenty of women in the horse world!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:42 pm

If I were doing it all over again I would have a long questionaire about family and personal preferences and habits. I would ask for credit reports. I would ask for references. I would ask to see his bank statements, credit card statements. So much that no one would think it's worthwhile. Sometimes all you need is a buddy to go out to dinner with.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:45 pm

PaulaO wrote:I don't want to date. Truthfully, I don't have the energy for it. For some reason my therapist thinks I want to date, possibly because I've said I get lonely sometimes, which is true. But being lonely sometimes doesn't mean I need to look for someone.... I've always said that if a man wants to meet a woman, he should buy a horse. Plenty of women in the horse world!

I am a little embarrassed to say that is how I met Michael. My name was equus52000...and he and a (married) woman friend had just started riding lessons.

Yes, there are plenty of women in the horse world.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:56 pm

PaulaO wrote:I don't want to date.

It sounds to me like the therapist is following her own agenda and is not hearing you. I'd try to get her back on your track imo. If you really don't want to do something - why do it?

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:17 pm

I think there is a difference in wanting to date vs wanting to be in a relationship. I hated dating, but I love being in a relationship with DH and married over 10 yrs. I get lonely sometimes being married, so I think it's more universal than people think. (ie- work schedules, travel, normal life stuff, etc) esp now since i work from home due to COVID.
But DH is so awesome that I got really lucky, still not sure how that happened.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:58 pm

If I were doing it all over again I'd first get some intel on his mother....

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:28 pm

PaulaO wrote:Really, what I need is a male gay friend to go to dinner or fancy stuff where you should have a date.

For a time between husbands, I 'dated' a gay guy. Mr GQ dresser, polite and gentlemanly as the day is long and, best part, *no* exceptions at the end of an evening. The dates were when I was looking for a companion to attend an event, say theater... much more enjoyable with a companion (and didn't have family or lady friends to ask) :mrgreen:

Weird though a few times going to eat with him and we're both commenting on the male waitstaff and trying to decide if the waitperson was hitting on him or on me :lol:

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:56 pm

texsuze wrote:If I were doing it all over again I'd first get some intel on his mother....
Better yet - get intel on how he TREATS his mother.

I am so not interested in dating or having a relationship. I am not lonely at all. Have lots of friends, lots of interests. I don't want to be talked down to, told what to do, what not to do, or be encumbered in any way. I am so very happy being single. I don't need to check with anyone else when I want to do something. At this point in my life dating would just be a chore and totally superfluous. I see what my friends' relationships are like with their husbands. Actually at 58, most of my friends are again single and have kicked their husband to the curb. I just skipped the messy part. :D

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:09 pm

The best (or worst). Some guy wrote in reply to “ not my best moment”: Having prostRate reduction surgery.

Fortunately my subscription expires in 3 days.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:19 pm

yeah, it was a bit of a slog for me off and on, but SO GLAD I did it! I got the one in a million billion perfect husband. Not sure how that happened....but I wanted a relationship, so it sounds like it's just not what you want.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:19 am

I did this for an ego boost. All my life I’ve wanted to be pretty or at least attractive. On my wedding day, my mother didn’t tell me I looked beautiful. My ex husband never said anything complimentary to me. This experiment showed me that there are men who find me attractive. Nothing will come of it, but I got some validation and couldn’t we all use that?

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:02 pm

Just joined Match.com last night. Same, disappointed in the men with raggedy beards, sloppy clothes and suggestive poses. Did see a few who were presentable and I would like to follow thru but I have a new computer and am waiting till the 30 days is overwith to make sure I have windows office suite on. Right now, it may be a trial and will lose it after the 30 days. So about 3 weeks from now I will post a pic of myself and hope something comes of it.

Frustrating trying to find someone near my age, upper 60's, in grocery store/gas stations etc. No bars for me.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:47 pm

My favorite picture (according to ourtime.com, a match for me!) was a guy in a tank top holding his arm over his head so his armpit hair was on display. And of course he was wearing sunglasses......I'd rather spend time with my cat and my horse.....

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:30 pm

PaulaO wrote:My favorite picture (according to ourtime.com, a match for me!) was a guy in a tank top holding his arm over his head so his armpit hair was on display. And of course he was wearing sunglasses......I'd rather spend time with my cat and my horse.....

WITPE

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:35 pm

Hey Snork what does WITPE mean? Also just to let you know I've been kicked off Facebook. Lightning struck my old computer and I had to get a new one and trying to get back on Facebook is impossible.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:18 am

I once went out with a man I met on match.com who told me over dinner that he had been abducted by aliens. Oddly, I believed him.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:46 am

Rockabilly, WITPE stands for Where Is That Puke Emoticon. We used to use it, years back. :) Apple finally listened and now one can liberally sprinkle green vomiting icons through one's text messages but I don't believe we have it on the board. For shame, because this is one place where it would be rather appropriate.

What a bummer about FB. I've given up on Instagram for a similar reason but I do love FB. Can you at least access it through your phone?

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”