Fireworks debris, safe for horses to eat?

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Fireworks debris, safe for horses to eat?

Postby Saddlebum » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:53 pm

UGH! Neighbors shot off fireworks last night. Didn't wake up till about 20 minutes before they stopped. It's legal for them to do so but...my horse pasture is directly across from them and the debris nearly always lands in my pasture.

Wondering how dangerous is it to my horse and donkey if they eat some of it. I'm sure they won't eat a lot. Can't imagine they would like the taste.

I want to be prepared for next year...already wrote it in my calendar. It's been 2 -3 years since they lit any off. Their house is close to the road with a circular driveway. They set them off near their mailbox/road but still on the driveway. They are renters. AARGH! The wind carries the debris right into my pasture. No idea what to do.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Fireworks debris, safe for horses to eat?

Postby Canyon » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:54 pm

I would say No, not safe to eat. Fireworks contain various metal to create their pretty colors. I would clean up the mess as best you can. Sorry you have such inconsiderate neighbors! Hopefully your animals will not be interested in the debris.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/2019/12/31/festive-fireworks-create-harmful-pall-of-pollution/#5417b3d02853

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”