Cataract Surgery. I'm having it.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Cataract Surgery. I'm having it.

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:26 pm

I'm having cataract surgery next Wednesday. I am having my right eye done and the next week I am having my left eye done. The doctor is using the PanOptix lens. This means it's cataract surgery, but also vision correction. My vision is not that good right now, but with these lens I will be able to see near and far without glasses or contacts. I've seen this doctor in Nashville several times because he has to measure my eyes. This past week they finally quit changing. Wearing contacts caused my eyes to change shape and I've had the contacts out over 3 weeks now so my eye shape has stablized. I've had a lot of questions about it and so if I can answer any questions for you (for what I know) I would be happy to.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Re: Cataract Surgery. I'm having it.

Postby Koolkat » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Thanks for this Rockabilly, I'll be very interested to hear how it goes. Coincidentally, DH and I were discussing our deteriorating eye sight this morning. I have a cataract smack dab in the middle of the right eye, I've known about it for ~10 years. Doctors want it to be more "obstructive" before they remove it. At 68, I'd like it to be sooner rather than later. Your report will help with that judgement. Best wishes for a nonevent and a new clear world before your eyes!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:54 pm

Yes, of course I'll let you know how it goes. Right now what I think is it's better to do it sooner rather than later when you might have other health issues the doctors have to work with and around like me. Plus working with your doctors about your medication.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:43 am

I have the very beginnings of a cataract, and my oldster (now 29) gelding has a small cataract. Can they do humans and equines at the same sitting? ;) Seriously, I'm interested in what decisions are involved at the front end, what the anticipated outcome is, lifespan of any implants (is that what they're known as?), etc. But mostly, good luck and hope all goes well with the procedure!

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:09 am

wishing you well!

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:18 pm

Good luck! Mine were a piece of cake -EXCEPT the first one when I did not listen and I did read during the first 24 hours. That caused the incision to rub against the back of the eyelid (remember, when you read with one eye shut, that eye still moves in concert with the reading eye. That caused incredible pain and I had to take an opiod in order to sleep. SO - NO READING. NO TV. Sit/recline and keep both eyes closed for the first 24 hours (listen to podcasts, or something).

Vision is so much better afterward! Except that I have had slow deposition of "gunk" on the implanted lens, that requires a laser treatment to get rid of. No problems but just a reminder that if your vision seems to get cloudy again, you should get it checked out.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:26 pm

My eye doc says I have early cataracts and will need to get them removed at some point. I guess he will tell me when. I will be 59 soon but other than driving at night being harder to do than it used to, I don't see any issues. Good luck and let us know how it goes! I am definitely interested in hearing about your experience!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:23 pm

I am 63 and next week having a cataract consult. I can see just fine for reading but anything farther away is blurry. Last week I was walking to the pasture and thought”why is the water trough upended?” The water trough was a horse.

Good luck on your surgery, Billy. You will sail through it.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:53 am

Not sure I'm supposed to say "good luck", but I hope everything goes smoothly. "See" you in a little while!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:59 am

Most of us will need it sooner or later. Good luck, looking forward to your stories!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:42 am

Good luck with your surgery! My sister had it done and had lens put in and she also no longer needs glasses. She does need to wear cheaters for close up stuff.

I always ask my eye dr if I have them yet as I would love to get lenses in so that I can quit wearing my contacts/glasses.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:17 am

I know you probably aren't supposed to be reading yet, but I want you to know I thought about you yesterday, hoping things went smoothly, and that you'll be back here soon to let us know.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:17 pm

I had my cataract consult earlier this week. I’m choosing to wait on surgery until they get really annoying. RB, I hope you are doing well and can see EVERYTHING!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:48 pm

KathyK wrote:I know you probably aren't supposed to be reading yet, but I want you to know I thought about you yesterday, hoping things went smoothly, and that you'll be back here soon to let us know.

Thank You, Kathy and Paula.

I'm sitting here typing without glasses. Just my right eye had cataract surgery and lens replacement, but oh my what a difference! I went for the surgery last Wednesday in Nashville and I was on edge, but it basically was a non-issue. When I got to the surgery they covered me with a warm blanket then they went to work. I remember being rolled into the surgery room and I think I remember the doctor working on me. I have had no pain at all, no bad symptons. We got home and really I was not impressed with my vision. I still needed glasses to read and that was the main thing I wanted to avoid. I went for my post-opt check up yesterday and I was still not impressed with my vision although the doctor and my husband were very impressed with how well I could see the letters he was testing me with. Last night was when I got an inkling on how my vision has improved. I love to watch the public television show "Back to the Chateau" when I can. I turned the tv on to see if it came on last night and Oh, Oh! could I see. The television was so sharp, so clear, so colorful. I was astounded! This morning I reached for the dreaded glasses and realized I didn't need them and I have only had one eye done. There has been so much information that it's hard to put everything in its place and take it all in. I thought I was getting the PanOptix lens, but what I got in my right eye is the Sympony lens. I really wanted the PanOptix lens, but because I have an inherited cornea problem I could not get the PanOptix. I had no idea in all my life that I had a cornea problem. I will get the PanOptix lens next Wednesday in my left eye. This eye surgery has been a life changing moment in time. I read all your posts and something that becomes clear to me is that many of you are waiting for a better time. If you can get eye surgery now *I* think you should get it. If you wait like I did other health issues pop up and have to be dealt with. I'm thinking if you can go right into the surgery without other health issues so much the better for you and now I can see (literally) why when you're old you're not really old today. My Grandparents would be astounded to see my beautiful perfect teeth thanks to implants and my clear vision. Thank You all so much and please take my experience to heart.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Rockabilly - I am so glad that the surgery on your right eye was so successful! Good eyesight is such a joy, and that comes through so clearly in your last post.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:32 am

Rockabilly wrote:

I'm sitting here typing without glasses. Just my right eye had cataract surgery and lens replacement, but oh my what a difference!

:mrgreen:

I am envious.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Happy to see all went well!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:54 pm

Glad everything went well. I cannot imagine life without glasses. My sister had both her cataracts done but unfortunately could not get a corrective lens. She still has to wear contacts and reading glasses.

For me, the most difficult part of any surgery is having someone to take me and bring me home.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”