A bit slow to the party, but I am back!

piaffe at x
Greenie

A bit slow to the party, but I am back!

Postby piaffe at x » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:02 pm

I had a bit of a slow day at the office yesterday and remembered how much I loved checking in with all my UDBBer friends years ago when such slow days occurred. And I felt sad. And then remembered this board, which I hadn't joined when the UDBB ended. So I checked it out and found many of my UDBB friends are now DDBBers! And I felt happy!

How are you all doing? From the looks of it, many things have changed, and some things will never change. Which is a good thing, overall.
Last edited by piaffe at x on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snork
Herd Member

Re: A bit slow to the party, but I am making my entrance!

Postby Snork » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Hi!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:44 pm

Welcome back!

piaffe at x
Greenie

Postby piaffe at x » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:27 am

Snork!!! Paula!!! Good to see you!

Moutaineer

Re: A bit slow to the party, but I am back!

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:47 am

Hey there, so, whatcha up to?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:51 am

Hello!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:02 am

Hey! Welcome to the DDBB. My Mum and I still often refer to it as 'ultimate-dressage', so the UDBB lives on in spirit. Tell us what is happening in your world :-)

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Hello! I don't post much, but I read often, and am one of the "oldies" from UDBB. Glad to see you here!

piaffe at x
Greenie

Postby piaffe at x » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:07 pm

It's so much fun to see the "old" UDBBers.

My 30 second elevator update - I retired from Disney, moved to Mendocino County and am working for the County, Khodi had emergency surgery to remove two strangulating lipomas shortly after we moved, then he recovered, then he broke his splint and cannon bones in a pasture accident, and recovered, and now he's fine. My dear cat Ember was diagnosed with lymphoma nearly two years ago but is thriving with chemo that I can administer at home. The rest of the family is happy and healthy. Next up - navigating Thanksgiving during Covid. I'm at elevated risk and am tempted to skip it but we always have so much fun. Maybe I'll start a post asking what everyone is planning - get some new ideas to reduce the risk or support for skipping it.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:23 am

Hi piaffe and welcome back. I don't think you'll remember me from a hole in the wall since I am a lurker. But I live in Berkeley so I'm familiar with the Covid situation in California. And we don't know what we're going to do for the holidays. One daughter and boyfriend live in SF so I suppose they could cove over for dinner on the patio if \ I get a heater. Other daughter lives in NYC and has been making noises about coming home for Xmas. Much as I miss her (I haven't seen her since early January), I would rather she stay put and maybe go to her college roommates house for Xmas. MIL is hanging in there in her nursing home in NJ. I can't wait til this is over.
DH is now working remotely for the NIH. They (as in those in the know who are monitoring vaccine trials, etc.) told him and others to be prepared to spend all of 2021 working from home. And you didn't hear it from me ;)

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:37 pm

Sunshine2Me wrote:Hello! I don't post much, but I read often, and am one of the "oldies" from UDBB. Glad to see you here!

Same here -- welcome back!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:09 pm

Hello dear Betsy! So good to see you here and an update on Khodi.

(I've been kicked off Facebook since May. A lightning storm destroyed my old computer. When I got a new one and tried to log back on Facebook was sure I was trying ti impersonate me, I guess. Anyway they kicked me off)

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:10 pm

KathyK wrote:
Sunshine2Me wrote:Hello! I don't post much, but I read often, and am one of the "oldies" from UDBB. Glad to see you here!

Same here -- welcome back!

Me too.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:09 pm

Welcome! This is a great board with wonderful posters. Also an old UDBB person but probably would not remember me.

This board has a pretty active training thread that we all enjoy. Glad you’ve found us!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:45 pm

Not sure if I'm at the cool kids lunch table but I'm here too. Welcome! Spotted pony is doing super. Still have my high maintenance dog . happily married over 11th yrs.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:22 am

Welcome! This is a very supportive board with lots of good advice.

piaffe at x
Greenie

Postby piaffe at x » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:43 am

I remember each and every one of you!

Goldhorse, it’s going to be a strange Thanksgiving so matter what we do, I think. I hope we can each find some joy and make the most of it and hope we’re back to normal next year.

Rockabilly!!!! I wondered why you weren’t posting on FB. That’s a bummer that you were kicked off. Khodi will never forget your gift of Skodes treats after he foundered.

ExVet- I remember your training stories with your .. um .. Cobs? I can picture them in my mind’s eye but can’t remember the breed. You were always such an inspiration.

It’s good to catch up! More later...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:16 am

hello, I hope you enjoy being here. sounds like poor Khodi has been through a lot. so glad to hear that he recovered.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:23 pm

piaffe at x wrote:I remember each and every one of you!

Goldhorse, it’s going to be a strange Thanksgiving so matter what we do, I think. I hope we can each find some joy and make the most of it and hope we’re back to normal next year.

Rockabilly!!!! I wondered why you weren’t posting on FB. That’s a bummer that you were kicked off. Khodi will never forget your gift of Skodes treats after he foundered.

ExVet- I remember your training stories with your .. um .. Cobs? I can picture them in my mind’s eye but can’t remember the breed. You were always such an inspiration.

Good memory, yes, it was and still is welsh cobs though I've also picked up a morgan to back and train since I've disbanded my breeding program. I still have two welsh cobs, a retired 18, almost 19 year old stinker pony and my 6 year old home bred gelding, and a 9 year old mustang who's turned out to be a gem. Glad you're back.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:08 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Not sure if I'm at the cool kids lunch table but I'm here too..

We are ALL the cool kids.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:04 pm

Rockabilly wrote:Hello dear Betsy! So good to see you here and an update on Khodi.

(I've been kicked off Facebook since May. A lightning storm destroyed my old computer. When I got a new one and tried to log back on Facebook was sure I was trying ti impersonate me, I guess. Anyway they kicked me off)

I wish I could pop over and help you get back into FB. I miss hearing from you regularly!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:05 pm

exvet wrote:

Good memory, yes, it was and still is welsh cobs though I've also picked up a morgan to back and train since I've disbanded my breeding program. I still have two welsh cobs, a retired 18, almost 19 year old stinker pony and my 6 year old home bred gelding, and a 9 year old mustang who's turned out to be a gem. Glad you're back.

Oh My! I love to hear more about your Mustang.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:28 pm

Rockabilly wrote:
exvet wrote:

I got Ace as a late 5 year old stallion who had wandered off the reservation with his band of mares and foals. The state confiscated the herd and let a local horse trader sell them off. All of them were 2-3 on the body condition scale. They wandered off the Navajo reservation because they were starving. Ace caught my eye and I watched a young girl buy him for a little over meat prices. She didn't have enough money to keep her own horse fed but she wanted to 'be a trainer' and become eligible for the mustang make over. Within 30 days she had him back up for sale. He had horrible conjunctivitis in both eyes, a draining abscess from where his microchip was and still massively underweight. For some reason I had to go check him out. It was apparent that he'd been backed in the Navajo tradition by teenage boys but knew very little. He was extremely sensible and level headed and would take a saddle okay. This kid had not gelded him and couldn't feed him as well as being a bit backed off by him being a 'stallion'. I bought him for far more than he was worth at the time just to get him home with the plan to feed him back to a reasonable weight, treat all of his issues (infections) and then geld him. I started working with him within a couple of weeks of bringing him home and he simply never put a foot wrong. We started taking him out on trails once he gained about 200 pounds. We trailered both stallions (welsh cob and mustang) together all over the place. He is the best darn trail horse and I can quite literally put anyone on him at any time. He was born in 2011 based on his brand, permit of the Indian that owned him and his microchip. The Navajo Nation did not want to pay the fines to get him back when the State confiscated him - their loss, my gain in the end. I acquired him in the fall of 2015. It's pretty clear that he's got a combination of remount and draft blood in him. He's a very, very kind old soul.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:50 pm

hello~ I hang out here too
:)
Rye/Ryeissa.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:35 pm

Hello! Nice to have you here! I used to read UDDB but rarely posted. When DDBB came on I started posting regularly on the training forum. I don’t always read the Observation lounge but do try to keep up with the training in forum. Maybe we’ll see you over there, too.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:52 am

Welcome back :).

Susan (I think I had the exciting handle of susamorg on the old UDBB)
from susamorg on the UDBB

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:54 pm

Hey! Welcome back!!!

It's so great to "see" another familiar face.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:33 pm

khall wrote:Welcome! This is a great board with wonderful posters. Also an old UDBB person but probably would not remember me.

This board has a pretty active training thread that we all enjoy. Glad you’ve found us!

Old enough to remember you. :D

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:47 pm

I was Bubbles201 or something like that on the old forum... I recognize your name, but I was fairly new still when that forum went down. I'm glad to see you here!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:24 pm

Welcome back Piaffe. This is a nice group of people. We have had very few trainwrecks on this board (which may or may not be a good thing).
Everyone is pretty welcoming and friendly here!

piaffe at x
Greenie

Postby piaffe at x » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:34 pm

Chancellor wrote:Welcome back Piaffe. This is a nice group of people. We have had very few trainwrecks on this board (which may or may not be a good thing).
Everyone is pretty welcoming and friendly here!

Thank you! It's so nice to see many of the UDBBers here. Very few trainwrecks is a good thing in my book! Although some of the most memorable posts on UDBB definitely could be considered trainwrecks!

piaffe at x
Greenie

Postby piaffe at x » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:37 pm

exvet wrote:
Rockabilly wrote:
exvet wrote:

I got Ace as a late 5 year old stallion who had wandered off the reservation with his band of mares and foals. The state confiscated the herd and let a local horse trader sell them off. All of them were 2-3 on the body condition scale. They wandered off the Navajo reservation because they were starving. Ace caught my eye and I watched a young girl buy him for a little over meat prices. She didn't have enough money to keep her own horse fed but she wanted to 'be a trainer' and become eligible for the mustang make over. Within 30 days she had him back up for sale. He had horrible conjunctivitis in both eyes, a draining abscess from where his microchip was and still massively underweight. For some reason I had to go check him out. It was apparent that he'd been backed in the Navajo tradition by teenage boys but knew very little. He was extremely sensible and level headed and would take a saddle okay. This kid had not gelded him and couldn't feed him as well as being a bit backed off by him being a 'stallion'. I bought him for far more than he was worth at the time just to get him home with the plan to feed him back to a reasonable weight, treat all of his issues (infections) and then geld him. I started working with him within a couple of weeks of bringing him home and he simply never put a foot wrong. We started taking him out on trails once he gained about 200 pounds. We trailered both stallions (welsh cob and mustang) together all over the place. He is the best darn trail horse and I can quite literally put anyone on him at any time. He was born in 2011 based on his brand, permit of the Indian that owned him and his microchip. The Navajo Nation did not want to pay the fines to get him back when the State confiscated him - their loss, my gain in the end. I acquired him in the fall of 2015. It's pretty clear that he's got a combination of remount and draft blood in him. He's a very, very kind old soul.

Wow. What an amazing history. I love those mustangs with remount and draft blood. Are you posting photos in the training forum or anywhere? I'll keep an eye out. And I'm so happy to hear the stinker pony is still being a stinker. I always had a soft spot for him and the way you worked with him.

piaffe at x
Greenie

Postby piaffe at x » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:40 pm

Chisamba wrote:hello, I hope you enjoy being here. sounds like poor Khodi has been through a lot. so glad to hear that he recovered.

Thank you! I'm thinking he has nine lives, like a cat. At least I hope he does.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”