Bruised tailbone advise

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Bruised tailbone advise

Postby heddylamar » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:06 am

Has anyone bruised or broken their tailbone? How long did it take to get back to riding?

I landed on my tush a few times backpacking on the AT a few weeks ago — wet leaves, roots. I'd guess the second time was just added damage ... but the first time I landed right on a pointy granite rock and earned myself a great big black bruise.

I've cracked my tailbone before, but it must have been while Anz was off on maternity leave ( :lol: ) because I don't recall it interfering with riding ... and it's definitely interfering with riding, and sitting down.

Are there any ways to ride with this?

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Re: Bruised tailbone advise

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:51 am

I haven't broken mine but I did have a spur on it. I no longer have it (the tailbone w/said spur). Despite the surgery, I still have some discomfort.

I seldom sit without a cushion with a coccyx cut out. With an acute injury, I am not sure how much that would help but it would relieve direct pressure to the area. Amazon is your friend with a wide array of cushions. The stiffer cushions work better for me by actually keeping my TB area off the chair.

If you have a bit of $$ to spend, Acavallo makes a wonderful seat saver with a coccyx cut out. I highly recommend one. I think the seat saver is the only reason I am still able to ride at all. I can ride ONCE without it then am too sore. With the cushion...all aces.

That said...you may have to take a bit of time off. With an acute injury, it will just take time. After my surgery to remove my spur, it was a solid 2 years before I ventured back on my horse. I hope yours doesn't take that much time but it is a tough area to heal when you sit on it and add all that pressure.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:38 pm

Many years ago I slipped and went down the stairs on my bum. Truthfully it took months for the pain to go away.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:14 pm

A few years ago, I had a nice fall on some ice and bruised my tailbone. A week later, I started a working student position. I still rode but it wasn't easy. I did a lot of two point!! Lots of slow easy work. I also had a thin line seat saver. It didn't help much though, to be honest.

It hurt for a few months.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:19 pm

PaulaO wrote:Many years ago I slipped and went down the stairs on my bum. Truthfully it took months for the pain to go away.

This happened to me - extra steep icy outdoor steps on our old house's shop, so I hit pretty hard and bounced down. I don't think I was riding at the time, but I remember it being acutely painful for about two weeks, and then it tapered off. Of course I would have been about 30 when that happened, so that probably helped me bounce back more quickly.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:09 pm

Yep. I've broken mine at least once and bruised it at least two other times. Awful, slow recovery. In my experience, it's best to let it heal thoroughly rather than try to gut out the pain. Get a donut cushion to sit on and carry it everywhere. No one who's broken their tailbone will laugh, and the others will get their day... and do ground work until you're healed. So sorry, it's a total drag.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:20 am

did you get a diagnosis ( imaging etc) It might be a good idea to get an evaluation and plan. I had a non-fracture injury years ago and saw PT for electro therapy on the damaged muscles. Lost of soft tissue attachments to be concerned with. took several months for the big pain and for a couple year I could sometimes "feel it" when I over did it.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:04 am

I'm at 2 weeks out as of tomorrow. This time I went down with a 20# pack. Last time I was lugging a commercial carpet cleaner down the stairs. I don't remember how long it hurt, just that it wasn't great. Add 15+ years, and I definitely don't bounce as well.

Back then, when I went to the ER — and later ortho — the gist was wait and see. So, I didn't bother getting evaluated this time. I just have too many additional health concerns ATM for me to want to venture to the ER. If it's still a problem in a few weeks, I'll contact my preferred PT and see if I can do some tele-health visits.

Fortunately, I rarely sit. My desk is 100% standing, I don't even have a stool. The only places I sit are on the couch (okay), car/truck (okay), rowing machine/bike (oof), and horse. I tried riding in the jumping saddle today, which I'd initially rejected because it's not as cushy. It's MUCH more comfortable.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Sounds like you’ll be two pointing for a while!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:49 am

No two point, just posting trot ... but I think I over did it :? I've spent every sitting moment today on a heating pad. Definitely feeling every one of my 40+ years right now.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”