Horse abuse and vet behavior

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Horse abuse and vet behavior

Postby Koolkat » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:15 pm

I appreciate that this could be a "delicate" topic, but here is the story:

On our community FB page, a thread popped up yesterday with a picture of a horse in a ~30x20 wire enclosure. There was no shelter, although the horse was wearing a blanket. This is the Seattle area and it's rainy season, the horse was in foot deep mud and feces was everywhere. There was some sort of platform (for hay, I assume) and also sitting on it, a small rubber tub. There was no water. The horse's neck doesn't look too bad in terms of emaciation, but it's hard too tell (I don't think he is a Henneke1 or 2). The person who posted the pictures (2 still/one short video) said he lived in the area, and so he saw the horse frequently. There were a few empty, knocked over gallon tubs in the enclosure, apparently for water. It is on "abandoned" property. He said he had seen someone there on occasion feeding the horse hay (and presumably water). It's caused quite a response, so don't know where it is going, so perhaps this is moot, but I was able to get some backstory with private msg and owner's name. It turns out the owner is an "older" veterinarian, as far as I can tell, he only makes "mobile" calls and the 2 "reviews" he has gotten have been 0. (FWIW). He appears to have a vet supply business. Further investigation revealed that when he did live on property (where horse is), he had shot and critically wounded one person and killed another for trespassing on his property. As far as I can tell (with topical digging), he wasn't charged with manslaughter, etc. He may have deeply personal problems. The county has been called multiple times, and there has been one visit from animal control (they said they couldn't do anything yet), so there is a level of awareness about the problem. The OP that told the story on FB told me, also, via msg that he has talked to the guy and said he is "unhinged". It sounds like a horrific life story, but it would be nice if the horse didn't have to be part of it. I wondered if there is anyway to get at it via his accreditation, at the very least, him knowing that is an avenue of investigation. If he would give the horse up (and I appreciate that tact would be the best scenario, if that is possible, so less "polarization", the better, probably), multiple people would take it. Anyway, just "brainstorming, has anyone ever seen this type of scenario before?

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: Horse abuse and vet behavior

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:11 am

Oh no... No advice, just wishing you - and the poor horse - good luck.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:54 pm

Well, this horse is going to have a happy holiday season. She's been "rescued"!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Koolkat wrote:Well, this horse is going to have a happy holiday season. She's been "rescued"!

What a great update! I'm so glad to hear it!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:03 pm

What happened??? So glad to hear this, but what/how??

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:14 am

has she wandered off unseen by anyone ( wink wink)?

Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:38 am

What a crazy, awful situation. Glad it's looking up for the horse.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:49 am

Glad the horse is (hopefully) safe. For future reference, the person to lean on in that situation when action isn't being taken (it happens) is usually the county supervisor. Animals services people are not elected, the supervisor is ;)

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:42 am

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. And Quelah, that's a good nugget of advise....

Someone got a horse rescue to come look at the horse. Apparently they had a good county connection and took it away..... Someone said it might only be temporary, so the story is not over yet. I'm hoping the owner will quickly adjust to not having to deal with the mare and decide to give her up, time will tell.....

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”