Duck Dilemma

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Duck Dilemma

Postby Koolkat » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:18 am

Yet another animal neglect thread. Ugh. Our neighbors down the road have a long history of animal neglect. I'll spare you the details, suffice to say we've seen a lot of calves die, small animals, and the horses......(I intervened with the last horse and the county got involved. It was a very smart horse, hopefully it is making someone a terrific friend). Anyway, for the past ~5 years, they've had only dogs. Perhaps not the best cared for, but they aren't skin and bones and outside with no shelter. About 2 months ago, someone gave them 2 ducks. I almost cried when I saw it. They're in a pen in a front corner of the front yard, you see them clearly as you go up and down the road. I also noticed the little tub that was in there never had water in it, and I never saw food. At some point, I noticed the smaller one looked really thin (I've never seen a skinny duck before) and short story is that 3 days ago, it was dead. Apparently they noticed today. I've stopped by to see the duck several times, it has always been very interactive, and the night it's buddy died, it was very sad. It came up to the fence and just started a series of quiet, small quacks.... The next night it quacked loudly, I think it wanted something. Also last night, the weather changed and it's approaching freezing at night. I went down to talk to "the people" today. Made friendly chitchat and asked about duck (they work at the local store, so someone might have given it to them there) and if they wanted it (or had just "gotten it off someone's hands). I offered to buy it, fifty bucks, LOL. Turns out her cousin gave it to her. She had, as usual, a long story about why she couldn't take care of it, but as soon as X happened, she would take care of it/keep it the way she wanted to. It's the usual BS. And nothing changes. I went and looked at the duck again, and it didn't even get up, just looked at us and then put its head under its wing. I don't know ducks very well, but its feathers don't look healthy to me. They are what I called "staring", a slightly lifted look, and dry. Anyway, her cousin lives nearby also, I can see their place out the window. They have a cute, large chicken house and I assume they take good care of their birds.

I was going to go talk to the cousin briefly tonight. Not to be accusatory, etc., but to let her know I'd talked to "Shannon". (Shannon said she would have to ask her anyway, since she gave the ducks to her.) I wanted to tactfully broach the topic of the duck and in the same vein tell her why I'd offered to buy it. Very tactfully........ I asked DH to come with me (as an emotional support animal, LOL) as he had come with me to talk to Shannon. He said No, and was quite adamant, it was "crossing a line". I was a bit surprised, the intent is not to cause "triangulation", etc., the intent is to save the duck. He said Shannon said she was going to do something about it, and I had sent my message. He also acknowledged that the track record of Shannon doing anything is 0. But he still says No. I will go by myself if I have to, but wondered what others reactions are to this. I will also add that I don't think that duck has a lot more time unless the dead duck changes their behavior. My experience is their attention span is about 48 hours. What would you do? Best friend says steal it. LOL. I would also add that I never fully appreciated how cute ducks are.
duck resized.jpg
duck resized.jpg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 3240 times

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Re: Duck Dilemma

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Oh My God, bless your heart. $50.00 for a duck, well I would do it too. That duck looks sad. I have raised ducks for many years now and I've never thought of mine like in this situation. If for some reason I don't get over and feed them when they think I should well, they come looking for me in a group.
I said they know where I live! Back to your duck. Do what you have to to save this duck! $50.00 is not much for a life. I'll keep checking your post.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:58 pm

I'm not really sure about talking to the cousin, I'm not sure what I'd do in that situation either.
But what about offering to help care for it if she's adamant you can't "have" or "buy" it. Would she go out to feed and water if you provided food? Or is it an issue of her ability to get out there and do it?
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:04 pm

Ugh. Pictures are good. AC helpful at all? Department of Ag ? Sheriff?

What a difficult position to be in:(

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:40 pm

Is there another family member in the clan, for whom $50 might be much more tempting to take in exchange for the duck? Sometimes, IMHO, I think you gotta do the wrong thing to do the right thing.

Case in point: a former riding instructor of mine got so exasperated with folks across the farm-to-market road who refused keep their fence repaired. Their cocker spaniel would, several times a week, escape through the fence and cross the very busy road to come over to the barn to visit. After several unsuccessful attempts to bring this to the dog owner's attention (and multiple trips to return the dog), my instructor quietly "re-homed" the dog with a good friend who had a houseful of grateful kids. Dog and new family were all happy.

I hope you can successfully intervene on this duck's behalf.

Benatus
Greenie

Postby Benatus » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:47 am

Just get it.

Or do the Dr Doom thing a guy on instagram does with chained up dogs: takes them.

I am trying not to be triggered, but animal abuse is bad.

What does the copshop say?

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:45 am

Life has improved somewhat for duck since pal died (at least it got someone's attention besides mine) and we visited (Thursday). It got water that day (and food, I assume) and I threw it a handful of duck food too which was bought a couple of weeks ago. It's water was almost gone yesterday (noticing when I casually tossed a handful of food in yesterday - I have a new habit of taking a walk down the road, LOL), but today it was full. That's a good sign. I also tossed it more food, and mixed in some thawed frozen peas and corn, high living no doubt. As long as it has food/water/and reasonable shelter, I guess that's the best some can hope for (although if they change their minds, I'll take it!). In the meantime, duck patrol will continue.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”