Can I make this in advance and cook it when I get there?

Tabby
Herd Member

Can I make this in advance and cook it when I get there?

Postby Tabby » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:32 am

We have been invited to a friend's country place tomorrow night. It is an old cottage that he has basically gutted and rebuilt from the inside. It isn't finished yet but I am assured it's adequate for us women-folk (this is a camping buddy of my DH's). Anyway, for some bizarre reason, DH told him we'd bring spinach artichoke dip. I have never made it in my life. I looked up a couple of recipes and it doesn't look like something you can make in advance and carry with you. I might be able to partially assemble it but I'll need to bring cookware and extra bowls and hope that this guy's oven works reasonably well. Anyway, somebody posted this on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BuzzFeedFood/v ... 3/?theater. It has the same general concept of spinach dip but it looks like something I can prepare at home and then just put in this guy's oven and be done. What do you think?

For those who don't have facebook or don't want to watch the video, they've stuffed a baguette with a mixture of spinach, artichoke, cream cheese and mozzarella, drizzled garlic butter over top, wrapped in foil and put in the oven for 20 minutes. I'm pretty sure I can stuff the baguette here. Can I add the garlic butter and wrap here too? It's about 1 1/2 hours away so the butter will harden but it will be inside the foil. I'm pretty sure once I get it to that stage I could could it on a BBQ or even an open fire if that's all he has. It looks pretty yummy.

silk
500 post plus club

Re: Can I make this in advance and cook it when I get there?

Postby silk » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:13 am

I'd do it. Not really any different to garlic bread, which is often made in advance (I sometimes make it the morning of a party or even the day before... it's only bread and butter and garlic, which will be toasted/roasted/baked).

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:41 am

Make it ahead. Wrap in foil and it will transport nicely. Bake in oven or over a campfire. It sounds yummy!

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:40 am

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I think I'll give it a try. I'll bring a baking sheet just in case but if it's grill or campfire I'll just throw it in!

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:02 pm

I don't think it will work--------best to bring one to me to test for you-------------so you wont be embarrassed or anything...

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:50 pm

LOL! Perhaps I should make a few and hold them for different times. You know - an experiment to see just how far in advance I can make it :)!

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:27 pm

Why not leave it to your husband since he's the one who volunteered it?

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:02 pm

you know you can buy it, right? already made?

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 pm

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2014/09/ ... ecipe.html

Cook it in the slow cooker, get to the cabin and plug it in!

My mom makes it in the crockpot for family parties. She usually cooks it the day before, puts the insert in the fridge overnight and reheats on warm while preparing the last minute stuff.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:41 pm

For the record - it was delicious! It wasn't hard to make. I'm sure this is something you can buy pre-made somewhere but I've never really looked for it and haven't stumbled across it. I would get it if I did - especially if it was frozen. I like to have stuff on hand in case somebody shows up.

Myleetlepony, your link didn't work. I love slow cooker recipes as well :)!

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:10 pm

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:01 am

Got it now! That looks pretty good, actually. It may not be a bad thing for Christmas day. We can get it going early, before we start turkey and give something for my mom to eat while we are busy preparing the actual dinner.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”