Anyone with experience of "Misfits Market"?

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Anyone with experience of "Misfits Market"?

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:38 pm

In my perusing I have come upon a site named "The Misfits Market" and what they do is rescue organic produce and send it to you once a month, with a fee of course. It looks quite interesting to me, but I don't like the idea of them capturing my card and I'm wondering if any of y'all have tried them or had any experience with them. Thanks.

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Anyone with experience of "Misfits Market"?

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:43 pm

I have friends using Misfits and loving it. I use a local version — Hungry Harvest. The produce that gets delivered is great, and you have the chance to finalize your choices before they deliver. I think Misfits operates the same way.

So long as they're using a secure website (https + a lock emblem next to the URL in the address bar — this site is not secure), you're as safe as you can be using your credit card.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:25 pm

We tried it for a short time. Weird veggies sent and piecemeal. We stopped pretty quickly

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:44 pm

I want to like it better. The advantages are that I have access to produce not normally carried in my local markets. However, they can't seem to ship on time EVER, even when I switched to mid-week deliveries to try to mitigate the risk of boxes being held over the weekend. The packing jobs are also pretty awful, such that I'm guaranteed that something is mashed, mangled, or destroyed. Recently we've also had problems that the produce is not a usable quantity. Like, one beet. Or one bok choy.

It's a great idea with some pretty poor execution currently. Maybe they're growing too fast or not providing sufficient training for their pickers and packers.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:51 pm

Beorn wrote:They can't seem to ship on time EVER, even when I switched to mid-week deliveries to try to mitigate the risk of boxes being held over the weekend.

That is not good.

I use Imperfect Foods too bi-weekly because they have a bit more non-produce selection than Hungry Harvest (yay, keeps me out of the grocery store!), and their packing isn't great. I've learned to just not pick apples or avocados if I'm getting anything in a jar. Those weeks are heavy on greens.

Only once since March has it been delayed. It was hot ... I opened the box outside so I could toss the really bad produce right on the compost pile. Surprisingly, more was salvageable — and still chilled — than I expected.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:31 am

look for local options.
keep in mind that your driving / flying veg is likely taking its second ride and consuming fossil fuels . plus packaging ( chill packs?) seems to contradict the virtue of organic.

In my area there are local options where you can go pick up in person. Others are small farms where you subscribe to produce boxes,

I was gifted a single order from one of those home chef services by my work department. the amount of packaging ( foam) and chill packs as well as everything individually plastic wrap just totally repulsed me

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:14 pm

We have subscribed to Misfits for over a year. I think we had only one shipping mishap with smashed produce, and it was quickly rectified and my account was given a credit. It is excellent value for the quality of produce. I do avoid selecting produce that cannot handle a bit of rough handling.

I live in rural E TN and find it a welcome addition for quality organic produce that we cannot grow ourselves. The fruit selection is especially welcome. If I lived in an area with access to quality local organic farm subscription services, I would do that instead as Archeyarcher suggests. But that is not my reality. It would be a 100 mile round trip to a grocery store for me that would carry comparable organic produce.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:45 pm

My vegetarian daughter has used it for quite some time, and she loves it!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”