ISO Slow cooker venison chili recipe

texsuze
500 post plus club

ISO Slow cooker venison chili recipe

Postby texsuze » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:08 am

My brother hunted on our place in November and 'donated' some ground venison and some filets (white-tailed deer) to our freezer. I'm not a big fan of game meat, so DH will likely eat most of it.

If anyone has a good crock pot recipe for ground venison chili I'd love to have one. I saw Tuddy's chili recipe, from a while back, on this forum and wondering if it would work for ground venison. Thanks!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: ISO Slow cooker venison chili recipe

Postby Canyon » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:39 pm

Back in the days when DH hunted AND actually found game, we used to make chili with the HB. We would use a standard chili recipe, maybe go heavy on the spices, and add some red wine (~ 1 cup for a large batch).

If your brother didn't add some beef suet in while grinding, be aware that the ground meat may be very lean and need more oil while browning. Our mule deer and elk were never gamey, but DH and his buddies were good shots and never had to track wounded game for hours. And they skinned and cooled the meat ASAP. We cut off the animal fat before packaging the meat, because it can be gamey. A lot depends on the animal's diet. I actually prefer elk steaks to beef. They are leaner, grass-fed, tasty, and tender. We made deer steaks only out of the backstrap, and they were very good also. If you and your DH don't like your steaks after trying them, you could could cut them up and make a tasty stew with some of them.

I looked at Tuddy's recipe; it looks fine. I would probably quadruple the spices and add some chipotle powder, cuz our taste buds are aging, and we like things spicy!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”