Has anyone been on a plane recently?

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Has anyone been on a plane recently?

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:51 am

How was it? Did you feel safe?

Sunny Santa Cruz
Greenie

Re: Has anyone been on a plane recently?

Postby Sunny Santa Cruz » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:04 am

I flew from Ca to NC and back, Delta. I did feel totally safe. Plane was not full. Went first class so I could be as distanced as possible. They do the whole disinfecting thing before boarding give wipes to slather down your area. Kept 2 masks on cause I was really worried. Brought my own snackes. The airports were pretty empty as well.
Last edited by Sunny Santa Cruz on Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:56 am

I have not.

My instructor has been flying pretty much weekly from CA to teach in ID, UT and WY since April. She mentioned people not social distancing to some extent lining up to get on the plane, but she is pretty serious about covid avoidance and continues to fly (her mom lives here and we've have conversations about which stores are better/worse to make a quick trip, etc.).

However, I was just reading about the newer covid strain that seems to give carriers a higher virus load (so emitting more virus), and take lower virus exposure for infection, so with that starting to circulate, it seems that the safety of flying may be decreasing. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:32 pm

my hubby flew weekly through the pandemic and felt safe until just before Thanksgiving. at first flights were half and mostly masks were worn

he has stopped traveling since airlines are combining flights and filling them more. people are not wearing their masks.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:30 pm

SF, I know your instructor :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:50 pm

Sunny Santa Cruz wrote: Brought my own snakes. The airports were pretty empty as well.

MF snakes on this MF plane! I know you meant snacks. I hope you meant snacks.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:03 pm

Moutaineer wrote:SF, I know your instructor :)

I am not surprised, it is a small dressage world out here in the mountains. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:04 pm

I have not flown and will not until this goes away. I am VERY much worried about the new strain because it is so much more transmissible. I am not worried I will die. I am worried I could pass it on to someone who will, or I will get it and have a lifetime of side effects as so many have.

I have little exposure to people. At the food bank we are around a lot of people, but it's outside, distanced, and very careful. When the new strain came out, N 95's became mandatory. (We could wear surgical or cloth before.) That's a good thing. I'm going to a show next weekend and a friend is going to video. I'm thinking of asking her to drive herself because I'm worried about being in the truck with her with a mask for the short drive because her husband barely wears a mask at the barn and takes it off to get close to people to talk. I don't want to take the chance.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:56 pm

Air quality on planes is quite good. The airflow is from the upper sides and top (the little air vent above your head) to the floor and along the floor to the exhaust. Airflow is ~3 feet/second. The air is "diluted" (~60%) with outside air with each cycle/circulation and the "recycled" (~40%) filtered through HEPA filters. The air inside the cabin turns over every ~3 minutes. A caveat is the system works best when the plane is in the air and this is on newer/large aircraft. At least some airlines are not compromising on masks. Alaska is the most stringent and our local carrier, so my POV may be somewhat biased. They have just now reopened middle section seating. The number of cases of Covid-19 contracted while flying is a miniscule % of total passengers flying. The website of whatever airline you use should have all the info for their planes. I would assume that the airport building, itself, is much more risky. All that said, I haven't been on a plane yet.....

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:35 pm

I flew back and forth to St Maarten in December. I felt pretty safe. Like Koolkat said, the airflow is pretty good. Everyone had to wear masks but the getting on board the plane, there wasn't a ton of social distancing.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 pm

I flew internationally recently. The flights were half to 3/4 full, and the carrier required masks to be worn throughout. I felt that the airports were the more dangerous places to pick up the virus. To mitigate risk, I didn't buy any food, and found seating as far from others as possible. I also carried a little bottle of hand-sanitiser (small enough to get through security with no problem), and used that to clean my hands before meals on the plane, and in the airports periodically. Also tried not to touch handrails, seats etc. Boarding, disembarking and security were bad for not physical distancing, but everyone was wearing masks so that was a good thing. I had covid tests pre-departure and after arrival, and now 2+ weeks later I'm confident I didn't pick up the virus via the travel....

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”