Another Vehicle Thread

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Another Vehicle Thread

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:56 am

I’ve had the same car for 11 years. A 2008 Saturn Aura. It’s on its last leg, has broken down again, and I may have to finally replace it in the next couple weeks. Over 250k miles on it and in the last year it’s had to be towed 3x and it’s broken down at least 4x ( is it bad that I’ve lost count? ) I have probably put 200k+ miles on it myself, it has been well loved.

I have very few ideas about what I want next though. I’ll buy pre-owned for sure. Would like to keep it around 10-12k. I’d love some sort of fuel efficient suv... I drove a Mitsubishi Outlander in AZ as a rental and really liked it but I’m not seeing them used for much less than 15k so far, but I have just started looking.
Safety, trunk space, and fuel efficiency are my biggest priorities.
Wish list but not deal breaker items would be a backup camera and heated seats.

Any thoughts on where to start? Make/ model suggestions? I know very little about car buying, my Saturn is the first vehicle I purchased myself on financing, and it’s been such a long time!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

gee
Greenie

Re: Another Vehicle Thread

Postby gee » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:45 pm

Have you seen this: https://www.kbb.com/best-cars/best-used ... der-15000/

If you want heated seats, you need to look past base models, i.e., not just Honda CRV but Honda CRV-EX trim (next level up from base model). This seems to be case when I was researching. I think I would avoid Mitsubishi, not a lot around, that would be a big hint in my opinion.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:30 pm

Do you really need an SUV and/or AWD? At that price point you could get something newer/lower mileage in a wagon or sedan. The heated seats do tend to be in the higher trim lines, and you're going to pay for the extra features at the cost of age/miles/potential issues. Most 2015 and newer vehicles tend to have backup cameras, but it's easy enough to add one after market if needed. I think they became mandatory in 2018.

I have not heard great things about the Mitsubishis as compared to the other compact SUVs out there. I was recently toying with the idea of getting something a little bigger than my Nissan Juke, and with the caveat that I don't drive very much these days. I was looking at lightly used Ford Escapes and Subaru Foresters, but didn't get too deep into research because I decided I would need to do a private sale on my Juke for it to pencil out, and that ain't happening until most of us are vaccinated. But those were the two vehicles that were rising to the top for me in terms of price for something that isn't older or more miles than my current vehicle. Lightly used CRVs and RAV-4s were really expensive.

ETA: Agree with Heddy, I always forget about Hyundai. Nissan Rogue might be another one to look at; Nissan has had some transmission issues, but they extended the warranty on the transmission to I think 85,000 miles. I have 42,000 miles and knock wood, no problems so far.
Last edited by StraightForward on Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:49 pm

I'd check Hyundai SUVs.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:02 pm

The space of an SUV would definitely be nice. Aside from horsey endeavors, we travel out of state to visit family frequently and will have our 3 dogs and now baby Gil in tow. We were really cramped in my husbands larger sedan before adding Gil to the mix.
4 wheel drive isn’t a necessity, but wouldn’t hurt anything during our winters and again also our trips to visit family, in the mountains where they get lots of snow!

I’m seeing now that the Mitsubishi’s have pretty bad reviews, which is a bit disappointing. I did really like that one, but not if it’s not going to be reliable!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:09 pm

I had not seen it, but it’s super helpful!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:58 pm

I did some pretty heavy research into new SUVs (small to medium sized) in 2018 when I was car shopping. My major criteria were long term Maintanance, safety, and gas mileage. There were three that basically came out equally at the top. All were within the same price range. Honda CRV, Toyota RAV 4, and Subaru Forester. Then I test drove them all several times. I ended up with the Subaru Forester, but I liked all of them. I don’t think you could go wrong with any of them. Get as new as possible and as low mileage as possible in your price range. Take it to a mechanic for an inspection before you finalize. The inspection knowledge is worth $300-400. With a new baby safety and reliability are important! Good luck.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:37 am

Don't laugh, but what about a minivan? I drove a rental Grand Caravan (gets lousy ratings) to deliver 6 pet carriers to mom a couple years ago, in preparation for her epic relo to move out this way; 5 hrs each way. Really liked the comfort and the fact that seats folded down flush with the floorboard. But here are some updated ratings on used minis:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/ran ... minivans-1

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:54 am

Hubby suggested a van too. I told him I’m just not there mentally yet and maybe when we get to kid #2 :lol:

I’ve been browsing local dealerships with all these suggestions in mind, and I’m starting to think I’m not going to find something that ticks all my boxes for the price range we need. So I’m starting to question what I’m willing to budge on to make it work.
All these higher rated SUV’s are out of budget, I’d have to buy one with pretty high mileage, or a model already much older than I’d like.
I can find the Mitsubishi Outlanders that tick all my boxes, but now after reading about them I’m nervous to pursue that. Then again, it’s looking like better options may currently be out of reach.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:53 am

While Hondas, Toyotas and Subarus are very nice and reliable, you can get quite a lot of value from a few year old Hyundai or Kia. Consider that for your needs.

p.s. I'm entering year 6 with a diesel VW wagon. It has almost 150k miles and feels young. But I would love heated seats and a heated steering wheel!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:15 am

Second (third?) Hyundai and Kia. Prices are good for both around here, even new.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:28 am

There’s a 2014 Hyundai Tucson available at the same dealership that has the Mitsubishi that ticks all the boxes. 2014 is older than I’d like but it has the features I want as well as only having 66k miles so I think I could forgive the year as I’m really only worried about it in terms of longevity.
I might call and ask about a test drive on it tomorrow

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:43 am

That's not bad. My Juke is a 2015 with 42K and if you ignore the eau de stable, it still feels and drives like new.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:54 am

As an aside,SF, i had 2 Jukes in a row. Loved that little car! (But little, it was!) Fabulous winter vehicle, with great awd and ground clearance,, and tons of peppy fun to drive. Such a pity they discontinued it.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:51 pm

We went and test drove the Tucson and now it’s parked in my driveway.
I really, really like it. It has all the features I wanted, a really good turning radius especially compared to my last car, and with its lower mileage I think it will last me a long time!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help!

gee
Greenie

Postby gee » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:50 pm

Congrats!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:17 pm

Most importantly, what color is your new ride?

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:28 pm

PaulaO wrote:Most importantly, what color is your new ride?

It’s red! Which would have been my first choice anyway!
Attachments
AEA1E41E-2F98-4D99-BC20-F69C926901F5.jpeg
AEA1E41E-2F98-4D99-BC20-F69C926901F5.jpeg (159.55 KiB) Viewed 6169 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:28 am

Very nice, enjoy!
Keep calm and canter on.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:48 pm

Red is the best car color.

Kyra's Mom