Holiday recipes

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Holiday recipes

Postby Koolkat » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:29 am

Can we share ideas?

I saw a free range organic goose at the store today. If we didn't have plans for TD already, we would have brought her/him home. But can Christmas be far behind? So, goose is looking interesting. Does anyone have any suggestions for preparing? I seem to recall they are quite fatty (?).

In exchange, I offer a variation on a sweet potato soufflé ("Aunt Peggy's Sweet Potato Souffle" which you can probably google).

We have altered it though to make it less sweet (Aunt Peggy may have been a friend of Paula Deen. . . .) - have found that it is plenty sweet without all the additional sugar/topping.

3 cups cooked and fork mashed sweet potatoes (2-3 small potatoes) we use garnet yams which are naturally very sweet and have great color - also microwaved to cook
1/3 cup sugar (recipe calls for one - too much!)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 stick/4T melted butter (recipe calls for one stick - doesn't seem to miss it)
1 teaspoon vanilla (recipe calls for 1 tablespoon - found that overpowering)
1/2 teaspoon salt (don't use, salt in butter)

We don't use Topping that they show, more later

Preheat oven to 400, lightly grease 8-inch sq pan

In a large bowel, combine sweet potatoes, sugar, beaten eggs, milk, butter, vanilla and salt (I use beater to quickly mix). Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.

For topping

Heat butter (~1/2 stick - depends on how much pecans you add) until just starting to brown
Add ~ 3/4 cup chopped pecans
Stir for ~3 minutes to lightly brown/crisp pecans
Sprinkle over potatoes in baking dish
Bake ~25/30 minutes 400

Really good, really easy super 2nd day
Last edited by Koolkat on Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bascar
Herd Member

Re: Holiday recipes

Postby bascar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:22 pm

I cooked goose last year for xmas and it was delightful.

If you have a self cleaning oven (VITAL) then roast it breast down directly on the oven shelf with a pan underneath to catch the fat. You will probably need 2 pans - a fairly modest goose produced a liter of lovely lovely fat for me. I prepped him exactly as I would a chicken except I scored the skin and fat (not down to the flesh) to help "drainage" and crispiness.

Serve with something sharpish as a relish - gooseberry or pomegranate "jam" for example.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”