Diamond in the Rough--Progress Thread Spring 2017

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Diamond in the Rough--Progress Thread Spring 2017

Postby TR_Teacher » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:17 pm

I'm changing this to her progress thread--updates at end.

SHE's HERE! :)

**UPDATE 2: Deal is done--will hopefully be coming on Sunday. :)

**UPDATE: I've got an offer accepted on an adorable (but green) Friesian/Morgan mare. Cute mover, seems sane & honest--just doesn't know much :) Now for the PPE.***

OK--I am officially horse shopping, and I'm looking for a fun project to play with and bring along. Here are the needs:

--Open to any breeds, but would prefer a stockier build.
--Nothing nearing or over 17h. And I actually LIKE the shorter ones--so the 15h range is fine, too.
--Good brain, but doesn't have to be "dead broke." I prefer some forward.
--Started WTC, with good gaits (doesn't have to be fancy)
--Horse would become an all-arounder for me, dabbling in dressage with a bit of low jumping for fun.
--In the Midwest--Michigan, Ohio, Indiana preferred.
--Budget--5kish, but flexible.

Here is what I'm NOT looking for (apologies for the mini-rant). Off-breed, older (10+) "dressage" horses that have no experience in the ring, or only a schooling show at TL, priced OVER 6k. There seem to be a number of those in my area!

I can provide an EXCELLENT home in a situation where the horse would have a future to retire to. So, I'm looking for that "diamond in the rough." A good horse I can polish up a bit, and have some fun on. And a situation where the current owners are really looking for a good home.

Fire up the VHS engines on the new board! :)
Last edited by TR_Teacher on Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 9 times in total.

bascar
Herd Member

Re: VHS--Looking for that Diamond in the Rough

Postby bascar » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:15 pm

Oh, well that's easy. I have a Palomino Princess for sale. Bianca is 3 yrs old. She has 90 days on her. She's brave, forward, reasonably calm, rather nice gaits, athletic. Ok ground manners (orphan, so you have to be Firm). Loads, leads, ties etc etc. Loves wormer (!). Good to shoe, vet etc. Never had any health problems. Western Colorado. 15.2 will make 15.3, vague possibility of 16 hh but doubt it. She's registered - JRR Blonde Ambition. There's the odd picture on my FB page Juniper Ridge Ranch. $5K firm. If you are serious then I will make the effort to get some footage of her loose in a friends outdoor but it is 18 degrees here.... so footing dependent. I turned her away to grow in September, so no under saddle video until next Spring when I'll start her up again.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:39 pm

Sweet, fun looking horse, just green. Seller is nice and honest. He is not stocky, now, but ASBs are slow to fill and with age and dressage work, he WILL bulk-up (said the owner of an X-wide saddlebred).

https://youtu.be/b7GMw1rrswk

His blurb....
"Coming four year old ASB gelding
$5,500 — Crestwood, Kentucky
Far Away Tom Clancy (SA Tomcat ~ Undulata's Nuttin Honey) is a coming four year old gelding with enough chrome and personality to spare! Already over 16h, he is all leg and growing. With his looks, good attitude, and athleticism he will excel in a multitude of directions. Hugo is kind, willing, and ready to be finished. He halts, walks, trots, and canters under saddle, but is still green and needs a confident and capable rider to put more miles on him. He is a super comfortable ride with three smooth gears. No vices, health, or soundness issues. Hugo clips, bathes, and hauls with no issues. Located in Crestwood, Ky. Video available upon request. For more information contact Mary Kate Fahy (502) 548-9429 or mkfahy1177@gmail.com"
Last edited by cb06 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Go to The Canadian Horse Link and look up MOSARC LUCIFER YANCY. His ad states that he has been saddled, but no rider as of yet, and is priced accordingly.

Yes, I know, I am a little biased when it comes to Canadians, as I have three of my own, but if you are looking for a "diamond in the rough", well, don't overlook them. They are such a hearty breed, (that is on the critical list and close to becoming endangered), that will turn inside out for you.

The lady that runs that site, Jody, is extremely amazing to deal with and can help you out too.

Good luck shopping!!!

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:26 pm

Somebody seriously named a horse Lucifer? That's all I'm going to say.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:35 pm

I really like both the horses referred to here. They are totally different breed and body type. Both appear to have super nice temperament and sanity. High scores in my priority list. :)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:17 pm

I vote for Bascar's filly. She breeds nice horses!

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:34 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I vote for Bascar's filly. She breeds nice horses!

Thank you so much for the compliment!

B is the last of three full siblings and is the best of the three I bred from my beautiful paint mare and the only personal horse I have left. I fully intended to keep her forever but my life went so far off the rails last year that I lost the passion. I hoped that B would rekindle it, but although she's a great little horse, really brave and athletic, I found I was riding her because I had to, not because I wanted to. She deserves more than that.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:45 pm

piedmontfields wrote:I vote for Bascar's filly. She breeds nice horses!

*like*

she's a looker. If I had the money...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:02 pm

bascar wrote: I fully intended to keep her forever but my life went so far off the rails last year that I lost the passion.

I'm sorry to hear that and wish you well in life, the next iteration.

Is Bianca half Trak?

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:34 pm

Is South Carolina too far from you? This one looks pretty cute, not sure if they have video. Little, but I guess I really like them in the 14-15h range.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3781457 ... 023098790/

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:26 am

If you're on FB, check out this group that I started a couple of months ago--Dressage Horses for Sale - $10,000 or Less. There are many nice horses advertised, including some that match your criteria. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1022175241138536/

Happy horse hunting!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:50 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1022175 ... 567565103/ From the above mentioned FB group. I would look at him if I were seriously looking!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:09 pm

I blame you ALL!!!!

This thread got me looking at ponies, and there are so many nice ones! I have grandchildren, you $*&#(&@*$#&!!! Grandchildren. I blame you ALL.

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:44 pm

Wow! Thanks all :) I knew this was the place to look. These are all wonderful horses--I do really need something that I can at least try WTC at this point (can be totally green). I have an old back injury and some horse's movement just isn't compatible with it. :( I thought I could tell from videos what "type" would be bad for it, but I really can't.

Which is all really unfortunate because Lucifer the Candian is REALLY nice and with the exchange rate, he'd be a great deal. And Bascar, your filly is GORGEOUS, but I'm much too far away to try her without a plane ticket :(

I'm going to inquire about the ASB! I like them...

I'm scratching my head on "Blue" the QH in Michigan...he looks to be a NICE mover, but it looks like he's just ridden pretty short in his neck? I'm betting with some more "out" he'd be stunning. Looks to be a forward ride. Going to inquire about him, too.

Thanks all! Great thoughts :)

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:51 pm

HEY--What do you guys think of this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RXBu6RFzYU

Not sure why the double reins and pelham, but sounds like his rider is a 4H-er who jumps--which (in this area) would explain it!

Something about his way of going that I like...

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:54 pm

I like him. He certainly looks safe and sane plus meets the criteria you listed. Nice AP horse to enjoy IMO. His gaits look smooth too but you will need to try him.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Yeah, Blue moved pretty choppy, but I can just tell he is able to move out. I always wanted a bay QH gelding. Let us know if you look at him. I really like Legend--where is he?

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:00 pm

I like Legend! He looks like he would be super fun. :) Not to mention easy to ride!!

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:25 pm

I've got inquiries out on Blue & Legend--both in MI, so could see them both in one trip. Also an inquiry out on the ASB in Kentucky. I think I've finally honed in on what I want--these horses all make me excited to try them! I did train/show upper-level at one time, but with life and injuries, I really struggled to keep the "fancy" ones going and riding became a chore. I took great pleasure in getting them to Second/Third, then handing over to young, talented riders. When I first started my horse shopping search--that I what I was being pushed toward again. Yes, I can ride and train the upper levels--but there are some days when all I can do is get on and walk. It helps me TREMENDOUSLY to stay fit & flexible. I want something FUN and not terribly complicated. You are all on the right track. Thanks for your help! :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:04 pm

Let us know how it goes.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:05 pm

I like Legend. I think he was for sale 3 or so years ago when I was looking. I can't remember exactly, but I think he sold before I could talk myself into buying a plane ticket from CO to MI to go look at him! Either that, or they decided not to sell him at that time...

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Oooh! Keep us posted!

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:52 pm

Just a quick update--I'm going for a second ride on Legend on Saturday. He's a cool dude. Blue sold before I could go see him. And I haven't ventured to Kentucky yet, but am building a list of possibilities there as well.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Glad to hear you like Legend. I really like him too. :)

demi

Postby demi » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:14 pm

Just another word of encouragement from the cheering squad. I found my diamond in the rough just three weeks ago and I am so happy with her. I am a looker, as many of us horse lovers are, and I wasn't really expecting to find a horse that fit all my requirements. I was mainly just looking because I LOVE to look at horses. I STLL look, even after finding my new horse. My vet says it's an "affliction"!

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Well--Legend is a nice dude, just not the horse for me. He's fun and easy, but after careful consideration, I think I just need a little bit more *oomph*. He's going to make someone very happy, though! So, still hunting--seeing if I can plan a trip to Kentucky.

I just e-mailed a woman about a horse that is VERY local to me, simply asking if we could arrange a time for me to come see him. Her response was an e-mail rant about how she is VERY VERY firm on price, and I better not look if I'm not willing to pay that. :D He's supposedly "VERY well-trained, but doesn't have a show record. Oh, and horsie hasn't been ridden in 6 months... But I'm supposed to agree to a price before I even come see him! Holy cow--horse shopping is a whole 'nuther level of crazy...

The search continues...

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:07 pm

Well, boo, Legend was a nice horse!!!

Kentucky has fast horses and good bourbon! You should be able to find something there! :)

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:23 am

Well crap now I'm going to be staring dreamily at Legend until someone else buys him

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:25 am

Snork wrote:Somebody seriously named a horse Lucifer? That's all I'm going to say.

Well... I also (nick)named one of my colt foals lucifer, as he was an absolute arsehole... The devil reincarnated...
Glad to report that since his balls have been chopped he now no longer bears the name lucifer :lol:

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:43 pm

TR_Teacher wrote:Well--Legend is a nice dude, just not the horse for me. He's fun and easy, but after careful consideration, I think I just need a little bit more *oomph*. He's going to make someone very happy, though! So, still hunting--seeing if I can plan a trip to Kentucky.

I just e-mailed a woman about a horse that is VERY local to me, simply asking if we could arrange a time for me to come see him. Her response was an e-mail rant about how she is VERY VERY firm on price, and I better not look if I'm not willing to pay that. :D He's supposedly "VERY well-trained, but doesn't have a show record. Oh, and horsie hasn't been ridden in 6 months... But I'm supposed to agree to a price before I even come see him! Holy cow--horse shopping is a whole 'nuther level of crazy...

The search continues...

I'm also looking for a horse and yeah, I am hearing the same thing. Of course, I am also hearing stories of how people are coming to try horses and then trying to arrange payment plans!

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:56 pm

Yeah--totally odd. I think there are enough "tire kicking" buyers out there, that sellers get frustrated and take it out on the honest buyers. And I can't say that I blame them. This particular horse was well within my budget (I wouldn't have inquired if he weren't), but now I likely won't even go see him, because the owner is demanding that I agree to the price beforehand. I have NO idea what I'd be willing to pay for horsie until I go so see him--maybe he very much is in line with what the owner is asking? Maybe not?

What I'm finding as a particular "pattern" is horses that had some pro training 5 years ago that I'm sure the owners paid a pretty penny for. But, horse has sat for some time. That's OK, with me from a rider perspective, but I'm not willing to help sellers recoup the cost of training plus some when the horse has not been kept sharp. I can't count the number of times I've heard "But I spent $8,000 on training." I'm sure they did--and I'm sure fat/fuzzy/sitting in field horse remembers SOME of it! :D

I've also found several horses who are with "trainers." Trainers have told owners what they believe horse is worth--way over value. Horse does not sell, offers are not entertained. Because the owners are funding a gravy-train for the trainers, and the trainer has no interest in getting the horse sold. Commissions aren't much in comparison to months of training fees coming into the winter.

I'm a money-in-hand buyer, ready to pull the trigger on the right horse. But I've also bought a number of horses through the years, and pretty much know what I can get for my money. I'm realistic about it.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:40 pm

TR_Teacher wrote:Well--Legend is a nice dude, just not the horse for me. He's fun and easy, but after careful consideration, I think I just need a little bit more *oomph*. He's going to make someone very happy, though! So, still hunting--seeing if I can plan a trip to Kentucky.

The search continues...

Since he's so close to you, if this horse is in your price range you might think about going to try him. He might be worth the firm price. If not, you can say, "Thanks but no, thanks," and be on your way.

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:56 pm

Since he's so close to you, if this horse is in your price range you might think about going to try him. He might be worth the firm price. If not, you can say, "Thanks but no, thanks," and be on your way.

And I may very well do that, if I can get the owner to just calm down a bit and let me come see the horse. At no point in our conversation did I even mention or ask about price or flexibility. She was so wound up from the get-go about how VALUABLE this horse is--I assume because of all the tire-kickers who have already inquired. :( She had just listed the horse for sale, and I think my inquiry was probably buried in a ton of nonsense ones. I did attempt to call as well as e-mail, but got an even more "exuberant" response to my call. I'll probably let things settle down for her for a few days, and then see if I can arrange a meeting.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:10 pm

TR_Teacher wrote:

And I may very well do that, if I can get the owner to just calm down a bit and let me come see the horse. At no point in our conversation did I even mention or ask about price or flexibility. She was so wound up from the get-go about how VALUABLE this horse is--I assume because of all the tire-kickers who have already inquired. :( She had just listed the horse for sale, and I think my inquiry was probably buried in a ton of nonsense ones. I did attempt to call as well as e-mail, but got an even more "exuberant" response to my call. I'll probably let things settle down for her for a few days, and then see if I can arrange a meeting.

Ugh, I wouldn't bother. After the price drama, who knows what the next batch of crazy might be if you should want to try the horse a second time, or pursue making a deal on it.
Keep calm and canter on.

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:14 pm

What do you think about this guy? One of the nicer moving AQHA's I've seen in a while. I know he's not being ridden as a dressage horse, but he's also not being ridden like a western pleasure horse either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6quAKvNH8g

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:26 pm

TR_Teacher wrote:What do you think about this guy? One of the nicer moving AQHA's I've seen in a while. I know he's not being ridden as a dressage horse, but he's also not being ridden like a western pleasure horse either...

I think his hocks or high suspensories are sore. one more than the other, in the trot he is dragging his toes, and I do no think it is simply because he is under tempo, and although he tries very hard when asked to stop, he reacts in a manner that suggests pain, not simply balance.

he is cute, he carries his neck naturally, and seems to be a good natured horse. I would not think he has the rear leg conformation to do much jumping or collection, but the heart is there

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:32 pm

Oh--yeah--good eye Chisamba...was just watching the rest of the video through, and you can see it pretty well when the video goes outdoors and you watch him from behind. Something is not quite right there. :(

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:42 pm

TR teacher i got a quarter horse who was the ugliest conformation horse i ever bought, because he was very safe and my son ( who has autism spectrum disabilities) loved him. He did not pass the vet check, but had manageable issues. He turned into a fabulous, handsome, sound horse who could do low jumping, xc and lower level dressage simply with a little extra care and correct work. ( he was also a buckskin and i have posted photos of him in the past showing how much training can change a horse) so sometimes the heart counts most

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:56 pm

A good brain and heart would make me overlook a few things too, but I would be worried about long term soundness on such a young horse. He is very cute though!

If you do decide to go to KY, the horse I originally posted sold, but the same person has another that looks nice.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153185335595976&set=pcb.947423092015720&type=3&theater

...and if you are in the area, I'd go look at this one too...w/t/c with show experience.
https://www.facebook.com/melissa.moore.18062/videos/10156359318820338/

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:58 pm

Yeah--good points, Chisamba. I've had good success with a few western rehabs--one in particular that showed hock soreness, but simply had ridiculously tight psoas muscles from being asked to "go slow" for years and years. A few sessions with a good massage therapist, some pole work, and being allowed to move out got him right as rain. This guy has a number of nice-looking AQHA's for sale, so it may be worth a trip to his farm.

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:33 pm

AHHHH! I need to go to Kentucky. It seems as though that is where all the saddlebreds are. I've worked with several, and have loved every one. Such reasonable prices for nice moving, young horses, too. I guess "that neck" turns a lot of people off, but I've had success with that type--simply ride forward to the hand.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:55 pm

^^ Exactly.

As long as there is nothing really 'extreme' going on with the conformation, they can have nice versatile, open movement, and can make really lovely dressage/all-around horses...bonus that they are usually available at reasonable prices with some decent basic training.

Whatever you find, I hope you find a fun and suitable horse that makes you smile! :)

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:03 pm

cb06--are there any good saddlebred sales Facebook pages or sites I should be trolling? I've never actually bought one of the critters---so, not entirely sure where to look! :)

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:26 pm

Yes!
Open groups:
American Saddlebred & Xs DRESSAGE Horses
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASBXSDRG/
POSH: Positive Outreach for Saddlebred Horses
https://www.facebook.com/poshasb/?fref=ts
Saddlebred Hunters & Western Horses For Sale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/585449568132459/

Closed groups (you have to ask to join):
Saddlebreds For Sale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/309054725804954/
American Saddlebreds and Crosses Sport Horse Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/33955644537/
American Saddlebred Horses For Sale - Free Advertising
https://www.facebook.com/groups/316396318382309/
Saddlebreds for Sale under $10,000
https://www.facebook.com/groups/756263401075217/

I'm sure there are others...and like any group, it is a crap shoot of nice horses, nice horses but not what you are looking for, and downright questionable stuff. Since what you are looking for is similar to what I have/would look for, I tend to just pick some of the ones I would personally want to see and seem to match your criteria (and some that I am also familiar with the seller and know they are reputable). Some look nice and are closer to you, but just didn't have video or enough info., you might be able to ask sellers for more info. Most are not shown in 'dressage' style, so you have to have a good eye and look through some tack/equipment/riding style most dressage folks are unfamiliar with...

TR_Teacher
Greenie

Postby TR_Teacher » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:57 pm

Wow--thank you! :) cb06--what do you think of this mare? I have a thing for grays--but I'm trying to train my eye a bit on these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xXoDJoZ6ys

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:26 pm

TR_Teacher wrote:What do you think about this guy? One of the nicer moving AQHA's I've seen in a while. I know he's not being ridden as a dressage horse, but he's also not being ridden like a western pleasure horse either...

I like this guy. My only "but" comes in because you wanted more oomph when you tried out Legend. This guy IMO has a little less omph. I liked Legend's canter better as well - more balanced and just a bit more forward. He'd be my favorite right now. But then I haven't sat on him either. This fellow is really good looking too though.

cb06
Herd Member

Postby cb06 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:33 pm

She is a pretty mare, a lovely natural mover, and has a kind eye. She looks pretty green, especially in her relationship to the bit. She is going in that false frame/behind the bit and most of the time the rider has zero in his hands. Probably a combination of her young age/greeness under saddle/lack of topline muscling (and not being worked consistently over her back), her conformation, and that very thin snaffle she's being ridden in that tends to back them off the bit (not uncommon in saddleseat training)...all fixable with correct, patient riding, muscling, a more inviting bit, and forward... and she appears to 'want ' to put her head down and move on over her back sometimes...so its there. If you can try her, and she is kind and willing and you click with her, the pieces are there, you would just have to put that part of the puzzle together. :)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:51 pm

TR_Teacher wrote:Wow--thank you! :) cb06--what do you think of this mare? I have a thing for grays--but I'm trying to train my eye a bit on these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xXoDJoZ6ys

I quite like her, she is young, and not quite steady in the mouth, but i like how she relaxed on the long rein and worked well outside. when moving without tack she is inclined to drop her back, which is common for the breed, but when allowed to relax she is inclined to want to push out and use her back better. i like her gaits too.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”