Got my second jab today

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Got my second jab today

Postby PaulaO » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:52 pm

COVID shot. I got Moderna. I’m not expecting any side effects but am taking tomorrow off just in case...... :D

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Got my second jab today

Postby Canyon » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:57 pm

I was relieved after I got my second Pfizer dose on Friday at Walgreens! DH got vaccinated with Moderna through the county health department; he qualified earlier than I did. Neither of us had any side effects.

I'm looking forward to getting a real haircut, attending my grandson's graduation, and hopefully travelling a bit!

Paula, I hope you feel good enough to enjoy your day off! Give Ariel a pat from me.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 am

We got our first round of Pfizer yesterday. DH is experiencing no side effects, but I've had a headache all day. That's a side effect I'm happy to experience.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:56 am

First Moderna shot has left me with an intensely itchy rash on my lower legs that nothing antihistamine is touching. I think I'm going to have to crack and go see someone before I get round 2.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:06 am

Our second is scheduled for next week (Pfizer). DH had little effect from 1st, sore arm mostly. I had the sore arm, but also an intense fatigue the next day. We tried to do our hamster/treadmill hike (2000 feet elevation gain/1.5 miles up) the next day, and I turned around after 800 feet. That is a rare event. But the next day was AOK. I have doctor appt scheduled the day after 2nd shot (girl stuff+mamo), why waste a good day at the dr's?? My only concern is a potential fever they pick up on......So glad everyone is getting the jab.

Mountaineer - that sounds like a prudent idea.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:34 am

Please double check but our news reported that they recommend NOT having a mammo until several months after the vaccine. They reported a high number of abnormal mammograms when they are done shortly after the vaccine. However, there is so much false information out there so please research it. I just figured I’d wait at least three month after the vaccine.

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:40 am

I had the first Pfizer injection, and while I do get a sore arm from flu vax, this was extremely sore! And of course it was done the day before I went away with the horse for a competition, so I needed to use my arm. To do my own hair, I had lean forward and hang my head down LOL. But it was only sore for 2 days and then it rapidly resolved. Hoping the second one wont do the same.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:32 am

Srhorselady wrote:Please double check but our news reported that they recommend NOT having a mammo until several months after the vaccine. They reported a high number of abnormal mammograms when they are done shortly after the vaccine. However, there is so much false information out there so please research it. I just figured I’d wait at least three month after the vaccine.

I had not heard that, thanks so much for the heads up. Did a little digging and found out it was due to potentially swollen lymph glands. I will postpone mammo for later. Thanks again!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:55 pm

Moutaineer wrote:First Moderna shot has left me with an intensely itchy rash on my lower legs that nothing antihistamine is touching. I think I'm going to have to crack and go see someone before I get round 2.

one of my clients had an itchy rash after Shot 1. we were all geared up for a reaction to the second but nothing happened

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:03 pm

I had no reaction to shot 1 but am fatigued today. I slept 10 hours and am contemplating a nap now even though I’ve only been awake for an hour. @Mountaineer, have you tried plain Benadryl? None of these namby pamby H2 antihistamines do squat. I had chronic hives for 3 months and Benadryl was the only thing that worked.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:31 pm

Got my first Pfizer shot yesterday. I was so excited! My arm is the standard amount of sore that I get with vaccines. The worst sore arm I ever had was with the Shingrix shot. OMG it was swollen and itchy but you couldn't scratch the itch, let alone touch the area, because it hurt. It was like getting stung by an enormous wasp. Second Shinrgrix shot was just as bad. But better than getting shingles!! My brother got fever and chills after the Shingrix shot and had to stay in bed for like a day. Yet, the Pfizer shot he got no side effects, not even after the second one, which I hear can be worse than the first.
Still, for me, I am still going to be taking all of the precautions until I see the positivity rate going down appreciably.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:27 pm

Koolkat wrote:
Srhorselady wrote:Please double check but our news reported that they recommend NOT having a mammo until several months after the vaccine. They reported a high number of abnormal mammograms when they are done shortly after the vaccine. However, there is so much false information out there so please research it. I just figured I’d wait at least three month after the vaccine.

I had not heard that, thanks so much for the heads up. Did a little digging and found out it was due to potentially swollen lymph glands. I will postpone mammo for later. Thanks again!

Yes, I have a sore swollen lymph node in my neck after round 1 which freaked me out until I put 2 and 2 together!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:36 pm

Good to know, Chisamba...

Benadryl didn't do a lot, unfortunately, PaulaO. I'm on Allegra in the morning and Zyrtec at night at the moment. One of my first trips once I'm all immunized is going to be to a new allergist, as I seem to be reacting to anything and everything at the moment. I'm assuming I'm going to get kicked in the tush by the second shot.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:35 pm

Mountaineer, apparently I’ve allergies for decades, causing internal (sinus) inflammation and chronic sinusitis. I finally went to an allergist because of the hives. She did testing, and thank goodness I’m not allergic to horses. But the number one is cats (looking at my black kitteh sitting in the sunshine), followed by every tree in existence, and molds/spores/fungus. I’ve done everything for allergies except shots, which I am starting Monday the 22nd. Three shots twice a week for at least 6 months.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:57 pm

I get my second phizer jab next week. Hoping to not have too bad of a reaction. Sore arm only from the first. Mom had moderna a d had a sore arm. Most of my family except for my sil have embraced the vaccine fully for those of us who could. Oldest niece is breastfeeding so can’t but her hubby has.

We are ready to get back to normalcy and being able to get together

blob

Postby blob » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:14 pm

Not eligible for shots yet. But my parents both had pfizer. My dad is done with both doses. He had light soreness after first second shot left him very sore and a bit tired, nothing major. My mom got fever from the first dose that lasted about 12 hrs and then felt crummy for another 10 hrs or so. Her second is next week.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:39 am

I got my second Moderna vaccine on March 5th. I was kind of puny for about 24hrs. Sore arm, chills, no fever and fatigued. I wasn't flat out or anything. I was contemplating going to the barn then it conveniently started to rain so I just laid low the next day.

I later got the "COVID arm" rash...really just redness and itching but it resolved over a couple days.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

blob

Postby blob » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:11 am

My state just opened up to everyone 17 and older. So, DH and I have appointments on Friday for Pfizer. Unfortunately we do have to drive 90 minutes, so hopefully we make it home before anyone feels crummy.

I jumped at the first appointment, but of course this means my second shot would be the Friday of the next show I was planning to attend. So, I guess I probably should NOT sign up for that show. Oh well

khall

Postby khall » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:50 am

Blob first dose of phizer for me my arm was sore and that’s it. I get my second dose today so will let you know

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:26 pm

blob you dont have to get the second "spot on" the day , you have leeway for days after.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:31 pm

acheyarcher wrote:blob you dont have to get the second "spot on" the day , you have leeway for days after.

yes, yes, but i think the way these mass state-run vaccination sites are set up, is that they are set up to run for one week and then another week 3 (or 4) weeks later to get all those first dosers their second dose. So, I'll need to find out how much flexibility they give me. I think going later may not be an option, but i might be able to do a few days earlier, which would be great.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:29 am

Ahh yes, you are right, if the site is not open every day that would be hard to manage.

I would not get it earlier that the recommended interval, that can actually produce lower immune response. current research shows a week or two late is fine or even better in some reports.

Some people report a fairly strong immune reaction with chills fever aches and other ill symptoms on second shots. You dont want to plan to show after the booster. but if you got it the week following the show I bet they will say OK

blob

Postby blob » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:05 pm

yes, exactly! seems very risky to go for that show if I am getting the second shot the friday before.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:02 pm

Took mom yesterday to get her first shot; not sure which mfg. She only has some soreness at the injection site today, otherwise, continuing to chase cats as usual ;) Second shot anticipated to be on or about 4 weeks from now.

I'm going to put myself on the list for the hospital in our county. Their problem is and has been not having enough qualified "vaccinators" to give the shots. I hate shots. Hate having blood drawn. Hate needles, in general. Oh, well.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:54 am

Had the 2nd shot on Wed, 3-24. My arm felt like a swollen log that night, but hard to differentiate between any other reaction and staying up until 2:00 am that night and 1:00 am last night. LOL. Gone hiking tomorrow!!

blob

Postby blob » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:13 pm

First pfizer yesterday at noon. For about 6 hrs after the shot I felt nothing, not even soreness. Then some soreness started to set in, slowly getting worse. It was manageable with tylenol, but definitely quite noticeable.

This morning, still soreness and woke up with a bit of a headache, but I feel otherwise ok.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:57 pm

good to hear that everyone is making progress in getting their vaccine. I had a JJ so no booster. Next year we will hear what the follow on suggestions are, perhaps will get booster or new series., we will see.

Noticed today that there is a soccer game going on at the local high school. This is in keeping with the state rules.

just felt positive seeing it.
Last edited by acheyarcher on Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:01 am

Got me second phizer 3-24 DH got his 3/26 DS got his first 3/26. Most of the family except for DH’s sister and my niece that is breastfeeding (though she’s checking with the doctor about getting it) have completed or just started with their first dose as Georgia opened them up completely.

Excited to hang around with our family!

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:14 pm

so far the maternity clinical trials are not showing a lot of issues of concern. I would wonder if maternity patients would be better off with the more conventional JJ technology

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:59 pm

My DH and I have both had 2 Pfizer shots. I was a bit tired after the second, but he had full blown symptoms for about 20 hrs (fever, body ache, cough, headache). Now doing fine and out mowing the property.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:56 am

I had my second Moderna shot yesterday.

I had a really rough night last night, fever, body aches, headache, general misery, and a rather sore and quiet day today, but I'm feeling quite a bit better this evening. Heading to bed and hoping to be finer than frog's hair by the morning.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:29 pm

I got my second Moderna two weeks ago. I felt fine till the next day about 1 pm and the crashed hard. 102 temp, freezing and sweating, achy and so sick. It last about 18 hours and the next day I had a headache but was fine. I would be prepared, any of you, to be sick, I could not have worked or driven that day.

If it had been up to me I would not have had it but husband is immune coompromised so it seemed wise for his sake.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:14 pm

We both had our second Pfizer vaccine yesterday morning. I was progressively achier all day, and went to bed early because I was tired of it ... little did I know :( I was up and down all night with nausea, vomiting, and fever. Spouse moved into the other bedroom at some point, so I hoped he was spared. Nope stupid high fever and headache.

I guess the relative ease of the first round came back to bite us in the butt :|

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:25 pm

I spent the day on the couch yesterday after my 2nd Pfizer. Flu type aches and chills. Really sore arm, plus all in my armpit. Feeling a bit better today but needed the day off work. Not fun!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:53 am

I am pleasantly surprised that when I woke up this morning, I was on a wait list to get an appointment, and as of tonight my husband and I have both received the J&J vaccine and we're one and done! We went to an outlying community about 65 miles away where they were doing a vaccine clinic in a school gym. Got there around 7:10 for our 7:15 appointments, and we got our shots, did the waiting period and were out of there within half an hour. Arm just a touch sore. I took a couple hours off this afternoon to work the horses in case I don't feel well for a day or two.

Flight, hope you are feeling better now!
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:42 am

heddylamar wrote:We both had our second Pfizer vaccine yesterday morning. I was progressively achier all day, and went to bed early because I was tired of it ... little did I know :( I was up and down all night with nausea, vomiting, and fever. Spouse moved into the other bedroom at some point, so I hoped he was spared. Nope stupid high fever and headache.

I guess the relative ease of the first round came back to bite us in the butt :|

I'm fully anticipating that I will feel crummy. But yikes, I really hope I don't get any of the nausea and vomiting. I would gladly take a longer/higher fever to avoid any GI issues.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:18 pm

blob wrote:I'm fully anticipating that I will feel crummy. But yikes, I really hope I don't get any of the nausea and vomiting. I would gladly take a longer/higher fever to avoid any GI issues.

I hope you’re spared! It was a miserable 24 hours.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:50 pm

J&J update this morning; we both had sort of hot feeling skin, like a fresh sunburn overnight. Fine this morning, just some localized soreness at the injection site. I read that getting good sleep helps with vaccine efficacy, so I slept in this morning just to be sure.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:10 pm

DH and I get our second shots today. Fingers crossed

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 pm

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:26 am

I know have my second one too.

The only side effect that I had with shot and shot two was that I developed cold sores.

First shot I thought it was just because I was feeling like I was getting a cold a few days before the shot, but then I got a second smaller cold sore.

Got my second one on Thursday, and boom another cold sore! This has never happened before.

Odd that’s for sure

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:24 am

Hayburner wrote:I know have my second one too.

The only side effect that I had with shot and shot two was that I developed cold sores.

First shot I thought it was just because I was feeling like I was getting a cold a few days before the shot, but then I got a second smaller cold sore.

Got my second one on Thursday, and boom another cold sore! This has never happened before.

Odd that’s for sure

cold sores are triggered by challenges to the immune system

blob

Postby blob » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:42 am

I got pretty lucky with my second shot. No real reaction other than some sleepiness the next day, which if I'm being honest could have had nothing to do with the shot at all! My arm was also barely sore from the second shot, so actually less reaction over all than the first shot even.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:53 pm

Today is my 2-weekiversary! We have a couple guests coming on Friday and might actually eat in a restaurant for the first time since last February. Strange to think about after all this time.

Blob, glad your 2nd shot was no big deal!
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:15 pm

Mom got her second shot yesterday morning. Not sure which mfg. it was. I need to call her today to see how things are going. The vaccs were being given in a church activity center. The entrance/exit directions had changed since she went there for vacc #1, so she got a bit mixed up and couldn't find her car when she was leaving. A nurse was dropping her kid off at the church's day care center, saw mom walking the parking lot, and said "I'll drive you around so we can find your car" :), which she did. Thankfully, we live in a mostly very friendly state and mom lives in an especially friendly town!

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:56 am

I had my second shot on Monday. I didn't expect much reaction since I barely even had a sore arm after the first, and, frankly, I kind of thought that the people complaining of side effects might just be on the sensitive side. After all, people complain about reaction to flu shot too, and I get a flu shot every year. How bad could it be? Famous last [arrogant] words.

I was SO, SO sick. First, it was the chills. I was on an electric mattress heater, under an electric blanket and two down blankets, and I still couldn't control the shaking. Just as those subsided and I thought, really, this wasn't so bad, the fever, nausea, headaches and vomiting started. And the nightmares. OMG, fever nightmares are the worst. I couldn't stand up without help or keep as much as water down on Tuesday. In hindsight, I probably should have gone to an urgent care since I couldn't keep anything, including Tylenol, down, but I was *sure* it was going to be over any minute at first, and, then, later, I just didn't have the energy for anything.

Nausea was much better by Wednesday night, the fever came and went until about Thursday mid-day, at one point on Thursday morning spiking back up to 102, and by Friday morning I was good as rain.

Don't regret anything and would do it again in a heartbeat, but it wasn't the walk in the park with a sore arm I was expecting. Husband reports that he asked me on Tuesday if I had a sore arm and I had replied "how would I know?"

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:36 pm

Updated information on Mammogram and vaccine.

I went in for mine this morning. I use a breast specialty center attached to a large metropolitan medical center. I was asked if I had my vaccine and in which arm. I ask the radiologist and she said, lymph node issues are only problematic a few weeks post injection. They do not turn anyone away and do not encourage postponement. If you are going to postpone she said after 2 weeks is the max they recommend.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:41 pm

acheyarcher wrote:Updated information on Mammogram and vaccine.

I went in for mine this morning. I use a breast specialty center attached to a large metropolitan medical center. I was asked if I had my vaccine and in which arm. I ask the radiologist and she said, lymph node issues are only problematic a few weeks post injection. They do not turn anyone away and do not encourage postponement. If you are going to postpone she said after 2 weeks is the max they recommend.

Thanks. I have mine schedule for about nine days after my second shot. This was what my gyn emailed, so maybe I should reschedule it. I am not in any risk category. "I have seen the vaccine cause lymph node enlargement
You should do what you feel most comfortable with - if having a positive screen/call back for a diagnostic mammogram and the potential for this false positive doesn't cause too much anxiety, then you can keep your appointment.
If you want to wait a month or two after your second dose, then you can as well. "

I am so excited to get all vaccinated, reaction or not! It's set up so I can be in bed for days if I need to.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 pm

I got called back for more imaging tomorrow. Im cool with it and more likely it is yet another lump or scar tissue that will turn out NBD. I am diligent with my Mammos and would never put them off for a possible "might happen" issue. Cross that bridge if it turns up. I have risk factors , primarily being over 60. I trust my Breast center and their diligence and experience.

Tanga I would shift the appointment out a further week for peace of mind. You may also contact the service provider and see what their experience is with this artifact.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:49 pm

I got the J&J/J single dose injection yesterday. Drove an hour to a little pharmacy, as the two decent-sized hospitals in my area did not have the J&J. One of the hospitals is actually paring down the days of the week they'll be offering vaccinations, citing, for all intents and purposes, 'lack of interest'......

Pharmacist was really nice and we chatted about the World of COVID, while I clocked time to make sure I didn't collapse. The pharmacy has a cute little gift area, so I spent some coin on room fragrance, hand-made greeting cards, artisan hand soap, etc. :D

I had a headache all night long and this a.m. had to do some stretches before heading to the barn, since all of my usual 'ouchies' were way more ouchy today. I'm also feeling flagged, so, since we're getting some welcome drizzle and rain, I'll find a classic movie to watch and keep the cats happy.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”