Dressage Rider Exercise Program

Silverado
Herd Member

Dressage Rider Exercise Program

Postby Silverado » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:11 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this....has anyone done the Dressage Rider Exercise Program? I am seriously consider doing this as I am coming off an injury and I am woefully out of shape.

Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks!!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Re: Dressage Rider Exercise Program

Postby goldhorse » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:07 pm

I've done all 3 parts and am just finishing a repeat of part 3. I am 63 yo, short, squat, borderline obese, with a knee replacement. I found the program to be easy to do except at the end of DRT2 when she has you kneeling on an exercise ball and DRT3 which had some running wind sprints and some jumps. Those are things that I can't do with the knee replacement so I just ignore them. Options for modifications are given for moves where you might not have the flexibility or strength. It has been effective in improving my core strength and balance.
The production quality of DRT1 is not great. As she made DRT2 and DRT3, the production quality went way up.
My takehome message is that it is a surprisingly effective program for only being 3 20 minute sessions a week. No it's not enough to get you and keep you fit but it does target riding areas and points out where you are weak or tight or asymmetric. And, I found having a schedule kept me on track to get some exercise done every week even when I felt like a sloth.
If you decide to do it, make sure you download the videos or order the USB drive so you have it forever. It has become my pandemic mainstay coupled with my rowing machine.
Another great resource online is Yoga with Adrienne on youtube.

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Sue B » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:45 pm

Good to know!

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:14 pm

Thanks! I haven't quite decided, I walk a lot but I need "rider" specific exercises....so this may work. It's a tad pricey especially to also get the USB drive. I appreciate your input!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:20 pm

DRT? With Nicola Smith? I did the first one and then some of her other programs. I really liked them! I found it made me think of my posture and way of moving even when I wasn't doing the exercises. I should redo the programs.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:56 pm

I'm doing 1 right now! I don't find it particularly challenging and probably should have started with 2. I'm at week 10 and have yet to get sore from any workout. But I like that it does help give me some structure (my biggest issue with working out) and i like that the workouts are only 20 minutes so I can squeeze them in during my work day. So it's still something I'm glad I signed up for. And there are some stretches she's introduced that I've really liked.

From the 3 workouts a week one is for core, one for strength, and one for flexibility (basic yoga).

The program also comes with access to an online gym that has other workouts that look to be more challenging. Including some cardio stuff and more advanced yoga. So, if I was more motivated that would also be a good option.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:37 pm

Thank you all for your response.

Blob....is the access to an online gym come free with the program or is there an additional cost?

blob

Postby blob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:31 pm

Silverado wrote:
Blob....is the access to an online gym come free with the program or is there an additional cost?

Free with the program and I'm pretty sure lasts 6 months total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:32 am

my dressage rider exercise is simply adding another horse to my daily ride list. I should make time to do more than just stretches, but it's spring cleaning so now my arms and shoulders are getting a lot of good manure shoveling and garden digging work.

I really admire you who get your gym / exercise time in

blob

Postby blob » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Chisamba wrote:my dressage rider exercise is simply adding another horse to my daily ride list. I should make time to do more than just stretches, but it's spring cleaning so now my arms and shoulders are getting a lot of good manure shoveling and garden digging work.

I really admire you who get your gym / exercise time in

If I was riding as much as you, I wouldn't have time or energy, ha! I'm also really not good at motivating myself to physically go to a gym (when that was a thing). So the increase in online programs and videos has been good for me. The main reason I am trying to make this work (in addition to not being as strong as I'd like) is that there are many days that work makes it very difficult for me to make it out to the barn, which is a substantial drive for me so I really need a good chunk of time. But on those days, I can usually squeeze in a 20-30 minute workout online at home especially these days when I'm working from home. I'm hoping that can help me get a bit closer to the fitness I had when I was riding 3 horses 6x a week

blob

Postby blob » Mon May 03, 2021 5:11 pm

Enrollment for this program is open again either for the first program or the second, if you've completed the first (or want to skip it). I'm debating signing up for the second program. I liked that the first program gave me some structure and got me doing something 3x a week most weeks. And maybe that in itself is worth the money.

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Tue May 04, 2021 12:45 am

Thanks blob, I have been looking at it and I think I will do it. I will start with the first program as I am coming off an injury and as my physical therapist keeps reminding me ....slow and steady. Will I need the 3 in 1 resistance bands and balance ball for the first program?

blob

Postby blob » Tue May 04, 2021 1:39 pm

Silverado wrote:Thanks blob, I have been looking at it and I think I will do it. I will start with the first program as I am coming off an injury and as my physical therapist keeps reminding me ....slow and steady. Will I need the 3 in 1 resistance bands and balance ball for the first program?

You will need the resistance bands and ball for the program, but you don't need them until week 8. So you don't need to get them right away. You can also do the program without them, as you're given modifications.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue May 04, 2021 2:22 pm

I just signed up for DRT 4 which starts next week. I redid DRT 3 and finished it about 5 weeks ago. None of the rest of my usual exercise program has changed but I'm already noticing the difference in my body. Not in a good way. :cry:

Silverado
Herd Member

Postby Silverado » Wed May 05, 2021 1:15 am

Thanks blob, I will get them nice to know I don't need them right away.

I signed up for DRT1 today.

blob

Postby blob » Wed May 05, 2021 9:11 am

I went ahead and signed up for DRT2 yesterday as well

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 10, 2021 6:40 am

I've signed up for DRT2 as well :)

blob

Postby blob » Mon May 10, 2021 4:13 pm

Flight wrote:I've signed up for DRT2 as well :)

oh yay!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”