It's the thought that counts

texsuze
500 post plus club

It's the thought that counts

Postby texsuze » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:26 am

On Friday, DH and I marked our 33rd wedding anniversary. We usually don't give gifts on the "in between" years---the 0's and 5's tend to feel like the real milestones :) But this year I guess he decided I could use some help with barn and ranch work. So he presented me with a DeWalt Gyroscopic Inline Screwdriver Kit, along with a Craftsman 35 piece drill and drive set. Haven't opened it yet. I can't determine from the package diagram if it is a screwdriver or a drill or both.

Oh, and I was also given a battery-operated fuel transfer pump. You apparently stick the one nozzle thingy down inside your gas can, then feed the 3.25 foot discharge hose into whatever needs gassing up; in my case, this will mostly be the Gator (my go-to vehicle), but could also be he riding lawnmower or tractor. Press the button and it pumps gas into your tank. Complete with an automatic shut-off valve, just like at the gas station. I think DH was not satisfied with my standard method (going on nearly 18 years) of hefting the gas can and pouring through a funnel into the tank of whatever.

There was a time long ago when I suggested to DH that he was spending too much money on jewelry for my birthdays, for Christmas, for anniversaries. Me and my big mouth ;)

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Re: It's the thought that counts

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:34 am

:D :lol: :D

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:23 pm

I otoh would be thrilled with those thoughtful gifts.

I actually asked Dh to pick up a barn drill form me because mine burned out and he didn't because " you can share the house one"

anyway, I am pretty sure I got roses for 30, twice as many roses for 35, and my son is planning a " surprise " 60th birthday party and my BFF was panicked ( she is helping) because my husband isn't going to change his work schedule to be there.

he is a really good guy, he is just obtuse about celebrating things.

so your hubby, from my perspective, is da bomb and super sweet.

so yes, it is the thought that counts

khall

Postby khall » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:15 pm

Those are nice gifts!! Hey I got a new wheelbarrow for my wedding gift and loved it:). I would much rather have practical than jewelry. Rarely wear the stuff

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:26 pm

hey, I got a jump pack for my car for christmas.... I think DH is very sweet to be concerned about my safety when I'm out in the nowhere ville at the barn. He's good at the fancy gifts too.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:58 pm

I'll admit, probably the best surprise-well-intended gift ever was my JD Gator back in 2003. Still going strong! Came with a big red bow on the brush guard, special delivery via flatbed trailer!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:29 pm

My kind of husband! I hate jewelry and we grow our own flowers.A Gator. Oooooooooooh. I am SO jealous!
Last edited by Tanga on Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:35 pm

He is investing in your life together. Tools to make home life easier are always a win.

though a box of chocolate and a nice bottle of wine would not have caused pain.

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:26 am

My dad got me a small air compressor for my birthday about 10 or 15 years ago. It was.....not what I was hoping for, but I admit it has come in handy and I use it pretty frequently.

My boyfriend got me one of those robot vacuums for Christmas and I am thrilled. I used to have one that got loved to death, and I mentioned several times in passing that I’d love to have another, but never got around to buying it for myself. He listened, and I know you’re not supposed to be glad to get appliances as gifts, but holy sneakers I love that thing. Hahaha.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:16 am

Canning kettle, pressure cooker, vacuum(s) [I kill them], giant box of tools, and electric lawn mower have been some of my favorite gifts :lol:

I bought my own tractor ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:21 pm

Well, I got a butter dish for my birthday one year...

I mentioned before we got married, some 32 years ago, that I dislike those highly artificial-looking hothouse red roses (this was a passing remark, not a response to a gift, I might add. I'm not a complete churl.) He's taken it as a blanket "never buy her flowers ever" thing. Oh well :)

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:35 pm

Yeah, I have to gently remind DH every once in awhile that even us outdoorsy farm girl types like to be surprised with flowers.

BUT, texsuze that was a truly awesome gift your dh gave you. I love the idea of the gas pump thingy given that my back is so touchy these days. A few weeks ago my DH harrowed my arena without being asked. 8-) Gotta love these thoughtful husbands and SO's. ;)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”