Does your horse let you approach them/pet them while they are laying down?

Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Does your horse let you approach them/pet them while they are laying down?

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:37 pm

I'm not sure how to do a poll here. I had what I thought was a special moment with Lynx today. He let me approach and scratch him while he was laying down today. He's always been friendly but also cautious so I felt it was a win.

I've owned at least three horses that have let me do this while they're laying down. One would always hop up as fast as he could anytime you heard anyone coming. Another I never did see him lay down not sure if you did because he had issues.

But I always feel happy that they trust me/people enough to do that. Although maybe it just comes down to personality.

heddylamar

Re: Does your horse let you approach them/pet them while they are laying down?

Postby heddylamar » Wed May 12, 2021 7:46 pm

Maia stays lying down, and will lick my foot while I rub her hide. But all the others I've had, including my other mare Anzia, leap up the moment a human approached.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 12, 2021 8:09 pm

All 4 of mine allow me to do this. Junior will fall flat so I can scratch his belly.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed May 12, 2021 8:30 pm

I wonder if it has to do with how much they were handled as foals? Although with most of mine it was in an automatic thing It took a month or so of them knowing me to let it happen. It's so sweet!

blob

Postby blob » Wed May 12, 2021 9:20 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:I wonder if it has to do with how much they were handled as foals? Although with most of mine it was in an automatic thing It took a month or so of them knowing me to let it happen. It's so sweet!

Definitely not only linked to foal handling, as my formerly wild mustang, MM, will let me come and sit on her back while she's lying down. I can sit on her, lie on her, sit next to her, etc and touch pretty much every part of her body while she's lying down in her stall or outside.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed May 12, 2021 9:27 pm

blob wrote:
Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:I wonder if it has to do with how much they were handled as foals? Although with most of mine it was in an automatic thing It took a month or so of them knowing me to let it happen. It's so sweet!

Definitely not only linked to foal handling, as my formerly wild mustang, MM, will let me come and sit on her back while she's lying down. I can sit on her, lie on her, sit next to her, etc and touch pretty much every part of her body while she's lying down in her stall or outside.

I agree since my mustang has no qualms if I come up to him and pat and scratch as he lays there.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed May 12, 2021 10:18 pm

Two of mine were handled daily as foals — as was Maia — and there was/is NO way you'd ever get to walk up to them while down.

On the other hand, I've got an adorable photo of Maia at the vet hospital at 3 months old, very sick and on all sorts of fluids, with several vets and techs on their knees next to her while she's lounging on the floor. Sedation wasn't necessary for the majority of her treatment. That wasn't the first time she'd allowed someone to sit next to her while she was laying down — I have a whole series of photos I took while sitting next to her in a 20 acre pasture.

Anzia has never been that relaxed around anyone ... maybe someday. And even though George was so calm we joked that he was comatose, he didn't allow us around him when he was laying down.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed May 12, 2021 11:03 pm

blob wrote:

Aww! Interesting. When I was young I had a paint mare that would be at me sit on her or sit next to her and read.

I was surprised about Lynx. A few weeks ago he popped up when I walked in but today he seemed very relaxed and content with me there.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 13, 2021 2:28 am

Sounds like he is learning to trust you! A few times I've taken Annabelle in the arena on the lead to roll, and she rolls and then... just lays there. Once she just rolled up on her belly and stayed there for like 10 minutes chillin' and looking around. I don't see Tesla laying down as much, so when she is, I tend to just leave her be. Pretty sure she would get up if I went in the stall while she was down, but not with any particular haste.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu May 13, 2021 5:56 am

All of mine have always allowed this. And of course, I have to go sit on them when they are laying. :)

Quilla is a BIG napper, to the point I would get someone at the barn always texting me asking her if she was OK because she always lays down. Mostly she requires some inspiration to actually get up. If she is in her position, she is not particularly inclined to get up.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:31 pm

Lynx is big on naps too lol

quinta
Herd Member

Postby quinta » Fri May 14, 2021 1:37 pm

Haha. Autumn not only stays laying down, but needs a fair bit of convincing to get up from nap time. I can sit on her back and do a rather exuberant "giddy up, pony!" and she just sighs and gives me a look. Nia, not sure yet. I haven't caught her napping.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:52 pm

Quinta, too funny!!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”