Hating car shopping, looking up recalls, etc.

Alex
Herd Member

Hating car shopping, looking up recalls, etc.

Postby Alex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Uggggh! I absolutely LOVE driving new cars and testing them out but I HATE THE AFTERMATH of looking up the issues w/the cars I liked. I've tried all the smaller SUVs other than the Volvo XC60 and I've discovered various issues w/some of them that has caused me to cross them off my list. I want a V6 and a 3.6L engine rather than the 4 cylinder, 2.4 engine. Most of the current crop other than some of the Nissan Rogues do not offer a V6 option. So, I've also started looking at used vehicles where the V6s were more common. But because of the Search and Rescue work, I'd prefer to have an AWD or a 4WD. In some of the AWDs/4WDs like the older Hyundai Santa Fe, there's a significant Power Transfer case issue where the unit leaks causing the vehicle to suddenly stop while one is driving. I found a great bargain on one of those but when I brought up the PTC issue, the dealer tried to make light of it. When I returned the next day and said I'd researched it and was no longer comfortable w/the purchase, he again said it's just something to "be aware of and keep track of it."

So, have at it, all you w/SUV lover/owners. Make your recommendations w/my needs in mind. Room for two to three full-size dog kennels in the back w/additional room for two full packs and assorted equipment. Climate control in front and back of the vehicle to keep the dogs safe in hot weather and cold weather. A HATCHBACK w/a relatively VERTICAL profile to maximize the use of the rear of the vehicle. Thanx for all your suggestions! I know my sister just tried the Volvo XC60 and was hoping to pick one up in Europe for a trip. (I'm not sooooo lucky...)

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Re: Hating car shopping, looking up recalls, etc.

Postby myleetlepony » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:29 pm

Have you looked into the Honda Pilot?

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:44 pm

I adore my Ford Escape, which the sale guy consistently and carefully pronounced EXcape.

I originally purchased it for Minnesota winters of ice and snow, but I now live in south Texas and adore its mileage and convenience. Back seat folds flat easily for great storage.

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:53 pm

EXcape has intelligent all wheel drive.

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:55 pm

I did look at the Honda Pilot. I didn't enjoy the driving experience AT ALL. It felt far too much like my tippy, clunky Land Rover Discovery which I only enjoyed when we were off road in Wyoming and Utah! Maybe I'll give it another test drive and try to look past its lackluster driving feel.

The Ford Escape is just a little too small. But I'll give that another test drive this week as well.

Keep the input coming, guys!!!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:02 pm

Consumers Reports. Consumers Reports. Consumers Reports. Consumers Reports. Consumers Reports.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:07 pm

I would highly recommend the Honda CRV, but I think it'll be a little too small for what you need and it only comes in the 2.4L.

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:31 pm

Yes, Tarlo, I'm setting aside lots of time for reading Consumer Reports. What I really want to happen though is for someone to simply put a new car under my XMAS TREE rather than have me keep going through this process. I HATE dealing w/salesmen. Already, I've run into one sales guy who attempted to cheat when I took a rental for 2 weeks to see if I really liked it. He said, "Oh, try this SUV and I'll give you same price." Nope, he didn't and then he tried to push all the extras on us. I've only ever had one good shopping experience and that was for our tractor!! The farmer was actually really fun to talk with and he gave me all sorts of good ideas over the course of our test drives. The only thing he tried to push on me was a cab. But considering how much glass there was, I said that wasn't a good bet w/me being such a klutz. I've never crashed anything but I can clonk things w/flashlights, etc.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:16 am

Dog cars (based on seeing who drives what dog shows, and obedience & herding trials):

Chrysler Town & Country
Chevy Suburban/Yukon
Honda Element
Subaru Outback

You see these 4 over and over and over in dog circles.

My SAR friend now drives a Hummer H3 but he used to drive a Pathfinder. Only 1 SAR/cadaver dog though.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:11 am

Outback has more cargo space and better clearance than most of the small SUVs.

We get Explorers at work and they are a joke for off-road.
Keep calm and canter on.

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:01 am

Trouble is, scruffy, I also feel terrible guilt for looking at the gas guzzlers... The Subaru Outback is on my list for tomorrow night. I haven't even thought about Honda Element. Off to check that one... Is Chrysler Town & Country an SUV or a van?

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:04 pm

Enclave could be a choice. A little horrible on the gas mileage but it will fit three good size crates in it. I had the Enclave for a year and couldn't complain about it but I had to go back to Honda Van. I can fit 13 crates in it (middle row seats will come out completely! - Enclave will not). I could fit a total of eight crates in the Enclave including two of my big crates (up to 100 lb dog crates). My van fits four large dog crates plus other dog crates up to 13 though. I do dog transport every other week so I needed the bigger vehicle for hauling. The Enclave handled well though. Beware about the tires that occasionally come on them though. The Michelins they were putting on them offered a smooth ride but were SLICK after about 20k miles! I changed them out to more off road type tires so I didn't feel like I was sliding in the rain. Mine was a 2013.

What about the Mazda? Mazda CX-9 gets good reviews and good ratings on reliability. Not bad on gas mileage. I'm not sure how the seat arrangement works in it though??
Last edited by angela9823 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Until you got to that point about gas guzzlers giving you a heartburn I was going to recommend XC90.

I love mine and it fits all of your requirements except the gas mileage. Mine is HORRIBLE. Of course, mine is also a V8.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:15 pm

Seems like the Mercedes-Benz SUVs, esp. the GLE in a diesel might be worth a look. Big, fairly powerful and mileage in the higher 20s for highway.

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:22 pm

I was intending to look at VW and Mercedes diesels and then the VW diesel scandal broke. Say what you want, I've always got great comedic timing for my car hunts... Funny you should mention the Volvo XC90, Snork, because my sister who just retired is intending to buy one in the Ole home country and drive it around Scandinavia for a couple of months. Are you using yours for hauling a horse trailer? I've got a Brenderup Baron. Back to bird dogging the perfect car for us all!@#!$ :ugeek:

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:48 pm

If I might ask, what's the reason behind 4 vs. 6 cylinder preference?

Alex
Herd Member

Postby Alex » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:01 pm

I want to be able to tow my Brenderup to shows and events occasionally. I'm not able to show enough to base my decision on vehicle strictly on the need for horse trailer towing. Most 4-cylinders I've been told by mechanics experience too much wear on the engine when towing and it's less of an issue for a 6-cylinder engine.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Part of why i got the V8 is because I wanted something that could tow a trailer comfortably. V6 could do it too but probably less comfortably. The other part is that my husband, being a boy, has a minor horsepower addiction and wanted a say in the purchase.

I haven't actually ever towed anything with the car (and I have driven it for 5 years and 100K miles now) but I could, if i wanted it to.

Gas mileage is abysmal though. I normally get about 13-14 in the city, and 20 at the absolute most on the highway. I have kids and drive like a grandma, so it isn't because i'm yahooing all over the universe either - it is just a big, heavy car and it takes a great power to move. I'd still buy it again though because it is such a pleasure to drive.

Beorn
Herd Member

Postby Beorn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:44 pm

See, there's such a wide variety in engine designs that the number of cylinders doesn't really make a good characteristic for 'rules' anymore. There are 4-cylinder engines out there making far more horsepower (and torque) than 6- or 8-cylinder engines. The Ecoboost engines used in the F-series trucks have 6 cylinders, but by the numbers appear to out-perform many larger-cylinder engines.

'Wear and tear' on engines is another funny concept that also depends on the design and engineering. Engine, transmission, and brake cooling tend to be the gotchas for heavy duty use rather than purely the number of cylinders.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Alex wrote:I was intending to look at VW and Mercedes diesels and then the VW diesel scandal broke.

Well, that is why I suggested the M-B. So far, their nose is clean!

Of course, they also have a gas and a plug-in hybrid version if that is friendlier. I like the towing rating on these (~6000-7000 lbs)--pretty reasonable with a light trailer like a Brenderup.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:32 am

My BFF has an Escape and has had so many issues with it, including a new engine around 150k miles.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”