Help with dumb problem

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Help with dumb problem

Postby Sue B » Mon May 24, 2021 4:40 pm

So, this is crazy...I have inherited 3 saddles from my friend who passed away last fall. One of them is a Collegiate Mentor dressage saddle that I have been loaning to another friend. Well, her coach saw the saddle and wanted to borrow it for one of her Pony Club kids to see if it fit kid/horse, and wanted to know how much I'd sell it for. So, I just got a text, the saddle fits, she wants to buy it. I tried giving it to her, but she refuses to take it and insists on paying. So I tried trading for lessons over fences, but she somehow knows I probably won't ever actually show up to collect on my side of the trade. :lol: What else can I do? Polly would love for this kid to have her old saddle, saddle is very well cared for and in excellent condition. I sent it out complete with fittings as well. I need a response; I feel icky getting paid for it for some reason. (Btw, saddle and fittings probably worth 400-500 dollars, I'm guessing)

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Re: Help with dumb problem

Postby Koolkat » Mon May 24, 2021 5:05 pm

Charge a nominal fee and donate the $$$ to a horse cause.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 24, 2021 6:16 pm

Agreed, make a donation to a worthy cause in your friend's memory. Wins all around. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon May 24, 2021 7:55 pm

I'm thirding a donation.

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Mon May 24, 2021 8:44 pm

Tell them $400 including all the fittings. Get the money and then make a donation to that Pony Club in your friend's name for the same amount.

Maybe you could sponsor an award in her memory? Is there a particular cause or class that she really enjoyed? $400 could buy a whole year's worth of trophies for a whole show, or one really special trophy for several years in one event.

I still have a trophy I won in 4-H at our county fair for a special event (a musical freestyle) and the plaque has a memorial to someone, similar to the above. I think it says "Donated in memory of (Name)" and they remembered her during the award presentation.

Seems like a way to really make a positive difference for everyone!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon May 24, 2021 10:05 pm

I'm a huge fan of the donation! If not Pony Club or another local horse cause (we have several therapeutic riding programs around here), is there another cause your friend supported?

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue May 25, 2021 4:42 pm

I love those ideas! Thank you!

acheyarcher
Herd Member

Postby acheyarcher » Wed May 26, 2021 1:04 pm

are you negotiating directly with the trainer??

Jump over and go to the parent of child. Explain the situation. ask them to take the saddle with your friends love,, and when the time comes , pass it on to another kid or donate to a fund raising sale.
Last edited by acheyarcher on Wed May 26, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed May 26, 2021 6:05 pm

Yep, as for a donation or charge $1. Tell them to pass it on when kid outgrows it or gets a new saddle.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu May 27, 2021 5:23 pm

Problem solved! I got her to take the saddle as a donation to the club and she will put a metal name plate on the back with Polly's name. :D

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat May 29, 2021 2:20 pm

Sue B wrote:Problem solved! I got her to take the saddle as a donation to the club and she will put a metal name plate on the back with Polly's name. :D

Perfect. Win win for everyone.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”