Odd sentence in boarding ad

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Odd sentence in boarding ad

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:35 pm

Browsing through Craigs list for boarding (no I am NOT moving but I find this entertaining lunch reading). This is part of an ad:

Owners may come see and ride their horses with notice to the barn owner, during our business hours.

Sounds like it's appointment only. How strange.

Imperini
Herd Member

Re: Odd sentence in boarding ad

Postby Imperini » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:01 pm

Very odd having to make appointments to see your own horse. I wonder if they'd be okay with standing appointments. :lol:

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:32 pm

weird. No thanks.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:15 pm

That would not work for me even tho I am on a pretty regular schedule with my barn time. I am like the 4:00 whistle , lol

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:24 pm

It is an odd statement and one of the many, many reasons why I haven't boarded my horses as a sole means for their care in decades (have paid for one stall in a barn with covered arena in order to have access; but, most of my horses lived/stayed on my property). Next summer if our house in Prescott is done I'm considering boarding. It is horse property but we're kind of up in the air as to whether or not we'll board vs. build a barn. We kind of like the idea of truly making this a vacation home and not be a slave to barn chores for the summer. Not sure I will survive it let alone the horses. Statements like this one make me think I would be better off just sucking it up and building a barn. ...............Having said that though I have boarded other people's horses and was praising the power that be when each time 'it' was over. I just don't have the personality to put up with people coming and going on my property whenever they want (unless it's my kids); so, in some ways I can kind of get it. I had one boarder that made me feel like she was stalking me...........I couldn't go into my house without having her 'right there' hanging out at my backdoor waiting for me to come back outside. She wouldn't ride unless I was riding, wanted me to handle/ride her horse, etc (and it was not a training arrangement). Most stressful was dealing with those who wouldn't take care of their responsibilities towards their horses' care; but, having the dogs sound off whenever people would come and go at whatever hours (always had a reason to 'break the rules') was also unsettling. All these reasons are why I don't board my horses nor do I board the horses of others and appreciate those with the skills to successfully manage a boarding barn.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:22 pm

exvet wrote:I had one boarder that made me feel like she was stalking me...........I couldn't go into my house without having her 'right there' hanging out at my backdoor waiting for me to come back outside. She wouldn't ride unless I was riding, wanted me to handle/ride her horse, etc (and it was not a training arrangement).

Argh, I can't imagine! When I first bought Obie I boarded him at a private place and the owner remarked to me how nice it was that I was capable of handling my own horse, and to paraphrase, generally not being a pain in the ass. Apparently she had dealt with one or more previous boarders like the one you had. Free lessons should be included with $150 pasture board, right? :roll:

I could totally understand having reasonable barn hours, but yeah, I'm not going to board somewhere that I have to make arrangements to come see my horse. I'm less than 10 minutes away and often decide to just pop out to groom or do a quick lunge or whatever. There aren't any specified barn hours, so I can go ride at 4 am or midnight if I want to. The BO said she used to have a boarder who would ride at like 2 am after finishing her swing shift, but now people are there only at more normal hours.
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:53 pm

Many, many years ago I leased a horse, then bought and boarded my own horse, at a H/J lesson barn. The BO did not want anyone coming to the barn on Mondays, as that was the farrier day, and, during vaccination season, vet visit day. Even if your horse was not on the farrier list, you were 'discouraged' from being there on Mondays. I actually didn't mind that much, since back then I was riding 5 or 6 days a week, so Mondays were break days.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:04 pm

I wonder if it's a typo and they mean during non-business hours? I know a few barns where if you are not coming during their official "open hours" they want notice.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”