Guest bedroom bed advice

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Guest bedroom bed advice

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:14 am

Sooo... First world problem here.

In the hopes that eventually friends and family will be able to travel, I'm trying to get my guest room configuration sorted out.

We have two. One is on the 2nd floor and necessitates the use of the upstairs hall bathroom, which I have taken over as my own at the moment, and, whilst its all fine for our immediate family, is a bit awkward for people like visiting clinicians.

The other one is down on the lower ground floor. It has it's own nice bathroom and is a sunny, private, cheerful space. We had intended that this end up as the bunk room for the grandchild hordes. But it is becoming apparent to us that it is really the much more suitable space for non-family visitors, as well.

So I'm thinking of replacing the bunk beds and trundle that ended up down there with two 3'6" very comfortable twin beds that can be either separated or pushed together depending on the visitor configuration, and the trundle still available for the additional grandchild (they come in sets of two or three, and are mostly fairly civilized.)

I can decorate it so it's not kid-like and have separate linens for kids or grown-ups. There's an additional kid play area/library/TV room space down there so they aren't going to be in there much except to sleep or get away somewhere quiet from their siblings.

Do we see any issues with this?

silk
500 post plus club

Re: Guest bedroom bed advice

Postby silk » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:02 am

Every clinician I have met is grateful to be able to stay on site and have accommodation provided. Kid-friendly decor or linen would not have been an issue. None was a princess or overly demanding, though - they were happy to have their own space to retire to.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:06 am

only issue I would see is the pushing of the twin beds together...could you instead fit a double and a twin in the room? Or even a bunk bed with a double below and twin on top?

The reason I say this is that when you push twin beds together, you either end up sleeping on a crack (not very comfortable) or you end up sleeping on one side to avoid the crack and then may as well be in a twin bed.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:14 am

I only have two comments regarding guest rooms in general:
- Make outlets available adjacent to the bedside tables (alternatively, there are nice cloth covered little extension cord/USB bricks that mount to flat surfaces)
- Add a bed topper when you push the twin beds together

I know that this guest room will turn out lovely — your last home was gorgeous!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:29 pm

Ahh, the guest bedroom (or in our case, 'guest quarters') bed conundrum! Our GQ is a little efficiency apartment above our detached garage, separate from the house. When putting this space together, I deliberately put in two twin beds, despite having enough room for a queen or even king-sized bed. Reason: the twin beds would be better at accommodating all the various configurations of guests/visitors/family we anticipated over time, and this has proven true, with one exception. DH had a long-time friend from Africa with his girlfriend (20+ years his junior), come to stay with us. Great folks and we thoroughly enjoyed their visit. But.....she attempted to scoot the twin beds together (ahem....) and marred the floor pretty badly. We laugh about it now, but that's been the only "issue" that we know about.

Well, OK, one other time we were supposed to host a guest speaker (and his wife) for a local nature festival for one night. He mistakenly thought we were a bona fide B&B. The twin bed setup would NOT work for his stay with us, since it coincided with their wedding anniversary. No, we don't have mirrors on the ceiling or a heart-shaped bed! He declined.

I would go for twin beds. If guests desire certain after-dark activities, they can just pile on :)

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:32 am

Don’t do twin beds for adult guests, or make sure you have a thick topper so if pushed together you can’t tell it is two beds. It has nothing to do with nighttime activities. I’m tall and large and my feet hang off a twin and if I need to roll over I feel like I might roll off the bed. Not fun!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:01 pm

I know in Europe it is common to push twin beds together to call it something better, but here it is terrible. Try to fit a full and a twin with a trundle if you must.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”