College Ramblings

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

College Ramblings

Postby Sue B » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:06 pm

Well, I did it. I managed to raise one kid from conception to college. :lol:

Dropped my ds off at University of Idaho this week, and it feels good! He's a great kid, dh and I will miss having him around, but I also feel good that we managed to send off a kind, competent young man out into the world. Kinda like when you sell a horse you've trained from halter breaking to 2nd level and they go on to have a successful career with the new owners. In theory, this is even better though, cuz I'll always get to see him even if it's from afar, and he'll always be my son. :D The best part about this is that I have no worries about where he is or how things will go because I know he has a good head on his shoulders and is perfectly capable of managing his own affairs. The only time I teared up was when he hugged his dog goodbye and handed the leash over so I could walk Nigel back to the hotel room. Poor Nigel knew something was up and lobbied during the whole trip for Paul to let him stay, but once that leash was passed over, he accepted that Paul was leaving. Dogs don't know if or when their master will be back, they simply have to accept that they're gone. Nigel is 9; all he's ever known is being ds's bestest dog ever. So now I look forward to Thanksgiving or Christmas, when ds comes home and Nigel sees him again. :lol:

Kelo1
Novice

Re: College Ramblings

Postby Kelo1 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:46 pm

Awwww, congratulations and hugs, mama. It sounds like you have done a great job! I hope you are able to enjoy the new chapter.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:46 am

As the (step) mother of 3 sons, trust me, he's not really gone :)

Enjoy having him around as an adult. Its a different and very enjoyable experience!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:05 am

Awww...So hard but you must be so proud.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:39 pm

Thanks you guys. It has been quite a year for "new beginnings" for dh and I. So, early Saturday morning I had to load up ds's turkeys from 4H to get butchered. That made me teary-eyed too! (And not just because these turkey were really sweet and fun to have running around our backyard :P ) No more 4-H projects to get done for fair ever again...otoh, I'll still be a leader so I can experience parental stress vicariously I guess. Shuffling those giant turkeys, however, did a number on my back so I had to kinda lay low the rest of the day. Sunday I finished cleaning out ds's room so now you can walk on the floor and see that he has a really nice futon couch in there! :lol: This morning was our county's first day of school, and so 6am I was wide awake and ready to get ds up for band practice, just as I'd done every day for the last 4 years. Nigel, the dog, slept in til 7 however.

ETA: In case anyone is worried about the turkeys, they were broad-breasted bronze. They are genetically designed to grow fast, ready for the dinner table in less than 6mos. They don't stop growing, so past 6-7 months, they begin to get too heavy for their legs and too big for their heart/lungs and eventually die from heart failure. Maybe one day will get some Heritage turkeys that can roost in the trees and terrify the horses.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:40 am

Sue I know you are proud of your son! It is very rewarding to grow them up and let them go. I have to admit I sobbed that first weekend in 2018 when we dropped DS off for college. Then both DH and I had a good cry the next morning as we faced an empty nest. We got over it though! My time now is dedicated to caring for my mom after we lost dad in 2020

While yes DS is an adult now being mom and dad is still an important job even if it’s more hands off now. Just being a sounding board and their cheerleader is still such an important job as they navigate through becoming an independent adult. The whole pandemic threw a wrench for some time until the vaccines became available. DS moved back home for several months at the beginning of covid.

Have fun forging a new relationship with you DS as he grows and changes in the coming years.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:31 am

I agree that this is a "congratulations" moment and that many more sweet and special periods are to come. Enjoy, Sue.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”