Picking a new barn, help

Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Picking a new barn, help

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:25 am

As my horse's time with the eventer ends, I am needing to find a new barn to call home. I'm dreading the decision! I can't go back to our previous barn because the only situation they have won't work for him. I'm on a wait list but that won't change for a few months.

So I have a few options. I'd love if people would weigh in with their opinions a bit.

Barn V: small indoor arena, decent sized outdoor/jump arena, dressage court and open fields for riding. All horses live in a paddock situation which are pretty large. Only two horses to each paddock. They provide good hay. The barn vet has been my vet for over 15 years. The trainer is an eventer but with a strong background in dressage and young horses. They bring a Grand Prix dressage trainer in every few months. Think it depends on her schedule but during the winter it seems like every other month. It says they are potentially open to outside clinicians. It's about 20 minutes away and very decently priced.

Barn H: large indoor in two large outdoor arenas. And a round pen in a different area. Currently they only have stalls available though. Turn out is about 6 to 7 hours but she said she's trying to extend that to 8 to 9 hours a day. They get free fed hay out in turn out. There is a really nice dressage trainer (silver medalist) there that has experience with all types of breeds. There's also an eventing trainer which I'm told also has a strong background in dressage. My daughter is taking lessons there so I know the barn a little bit. Fantastic hay. 7 minutes from my house.

Barn P: has a decent size indoor, one medium outdoor and a large round pen for riding. All horses are in paddocks. They are not huge and they do not get extra turnout but they are actively redoing the place and making a lot of great improvements. There's also a pasture option as well. The hay looked like a mixed bag though. I thought I saw a little bit of mold but I suppose just because I saw it doesn't mean they would have fed it. There is a a rated hunter jumper trainer there who I know and has a really great reputation. Which I feel like is a good sign. There's also a dressage trainer but I have never heard of her and have no idea about her yet. It is a closed trainer barn and so we need to train with someone there. 12 minutes away.

I'm going to look at two more barns in the next few days and I think that's the end of my options. I'm thinking I will go with one of the first three but I'm so torn about which one to go to. I'm thinking Barn V. But with the design of the barn it's more if they would accept me and my horse. Because of the small paddock sizes he kind of has to fit into what they already have going on. I've contacted them and they've asked about my horse but I haven't heard back yet. I believe everybody is at a show right now.
Last edited by Lipsmackerpony88 on Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lipsmackerpony88

Re: Picking a new barn, help

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:27 am

I forgot one option. Barn O: large indoor, one large outdoor and one small outdoor. Horses are mostly in stalls with runs and then turned out during the day for a few hours. Hay and grain is good quality. It is an open trainer barn but you have to work around the hunter jumper program. The trainers that are currently there are all kind of a lower level types. It is significantly more expensive than all the other barns I listed. Like $300 or $400 more. It would be about 30 minutes or so from my house. They are very new owners as well.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:32 am

Well I'm a bit jealous of your choices. :P

Barn H sounds like the ideal choice. You would have regular access to the dressage trainer, horse has a pretty decent turnout schedule, and being only 7 minutes from your house is a big bonus. Maybe one thing to consider is the ratio of active riders to arenas? It could be frustrating if several people are trying to use the indoor at the only time you have to ride each day. Not to mention you could ride or putz with your horse during your daughter's lessons. I'm less than 10 minutes from my barn, which is convenient of course, but a godsend when something is going on where I need to be out there before and after work. Also consider what you might be dealing with as far as rush hour traffic, if that's a consideration where you are.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:42 am

Barn H, hands down. Thats a very acceptable turnout schedule for a horse in work, and it sounds well managed and offers good training, and a structured environment. Which I think you will find enormously helpful to you and your horse at this stage. And your daughter is already riding there so you know it, and its close to home which is huge.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:11 pm

My only reservation is the stifle. But being in a stall will probably be good for his feet (just a little time off the hard, Colorado ground.)

I've been spoiled with stalls with runs or paddocks for a long time. Of course way back when I've used box stalls, mostly in the Midwest. My horses always did fine with daily turn out. It's just so different! I wonder if I could take the box stall but then get on a wait list to move to stall with a run later. That's my only reservation otherwise I also think it sounds like the winner. It's the barn I'm most excited about. Although barn V might be best for the stifle. But we have stifle vs feet going on...

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:20 pm

So far barn H seems quiet. There are always people there but it's a pretty large place so has never been packed. Of course we have mostly went of Friday evenings and a Sunday afternoon. And of course winter might be different. But in Colorado there's usually only a few times in winter that you actually can't ride outside. We we can get some heavy snow But at the same time the sunlight tends to melt snow off in a matter of days.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:30 pm

Well being who I am I would have to go with Barn V. I think the feet issue can be worked out in this situation pretty easily. I'm a huge advocate for 24/7 turn out especially for horses prone to stifle issues and it sounds like the environment is well controlled to allow needed socialization (equine-wise) with less risk of injury (can't ever eliminate the risk even if you put them in solitary confinement with bubble wrap - says the one with Brandon in a stall due to antics which caused him to be injured - he deserved it though).

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:15 pm

Barn V would be best for stifle. Barn owners have been hard to communicate with right now although I think they might be at a show. There is a concern that because of how the barn works that you could get kicked out. Like if Lynx doesn't do good with the horse he's paired with there is minimal options And I do have a friend that was asked to leave due to that reason. And she had been there two years. But because of changes in the paired herds her horse did not work out anymore. That being said I think the cons are minimal.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:16 pm

One thought I had would be to see if I could get on a wait list at Barn H for one of the outdoor options later on. Because I think if that was the case it would be the ideal barn choice. The box stall is the biggest con at the moment.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:17 pm

Barn V. I couldn't deal with a barn with a lesson program again, so while H sounds nice, the foot traffic and potential arena congestion would drive me nuts.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:39 pm

Barn V actually has a lesson program too lol. In fact all of them for the most part do to some extent. Although so far at Barn H there's only ever been one other horse in the arena with my daughter.

But I saw another barn this morning. Barn D. 20 minutes away, large indoor arena and two decent sized outdoor arenas plus two round pens. They have a outdoor pen with a run available And then additional turnout on a pasture. She said she keeps turnout groups small, only four or five horses. The turnout area that she showed me was very large and nice. There are three trainers, one western, one hunter jumper, one natural horsemanship type. But I can bring in insured dressage trainers as long as we are polite with the other trainers. Good hay. Not a fancy place but very clean and good fencing. Owner did say she was a little bit of a picky person as far as cleanliness. But she seemed very nice to me and I'm pretty conscientious about cleaning up after myself. So that would be a contender as well.

One more barn to see and I think that's it's for the closer than 30 minutes mark/not $1500 a month barns.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:53 pm

Can I just say I am jealous at the options, too? I don't know the weather there, so how much need is there for an indoor. I go for good food, decent price, the facilities you need, and I think being close is really,really nice.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:11 pm

Tanga, most barns have an indoor here but there are at least two in the area that have TERRIBLE footing so indoor is useless. The weather is generally nice but last year we got a few storms that brought like 24 inches of snow. So indoor is nice for that stuff. Pretty much everything I've looked at has an indoor but I'd look at one without. The place he's at now is just one outdoor. I love it there but it's 45 minutes away with no traffic. Traffic can push it to an hour or more!

I do feel like distance is a big factor as I like to be very involved.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:17 pm

Oh yeah. I would definitely move closer! That much time driving in ideal situations is too much no matter your situation.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:02 pm

I would go with a stall and 5 to 6 hours turn out close enough that I could be there every day, and give the added exercise. I put my wrist watch step tracker on horses out 24/7 versus those out a few hours, and.my.own little experiment convinced me that the horses spend most time standing at their hay, water and shelters . they don't walk laps
lol

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:49 pm

Chisamba wrote:I would go with a stall and 5 to 6 hours turn out close enough that I could be there every day, and give the added exercise. I put my wrist watch step tracker on horses out 24/7 versus those out a few hours, and.my.own little experiment convinced me that the horses spend most time standing at their hay, water and shelters . they don't walk laps
lol

That's a thought too. He's in a paddock now and usually is parked by the hay 95% of the time. He will play with the geldings but it's short spurts.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:54 am

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:BBut I can bring in insured dressage trainers as long as we are polite with the other trainers.

That is a big plus to me. Some of the barns here are structured so you have to use one of their trainers, so basically, if you decide you want to train with someone else, or don't want to take lessons, you have to move. Or haul out and also take lessons from one of the barn trainers. It would kind of suck to be at a facility you like, but then want to switch instructors.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:03 am

I too, am jealous of your choices.

I am casually looking for a new barn and so far, out of the 5 I have contacted, I never heard from 4 of them and the one I did and went and visited, there is a long waiting list plus the owners are looking to down size in the next couple of years. I like the current barn EXCEPT the footing is sub par and since the owners are older than me :shock: , I would expect they will shut down within a year or two. There are other barns farther out but I don't want to spend 2 hours a day in the car (round trip).

Personally, for me, I would opt for the maximum movement providing the other big items (food and footing) are relatively equal, especially with the stifle issue. I can tell when Kyra spends time in a stall really quickly and she just has puny stifles...no injury.

Of your choices, I think I would go for Barn V. Having some non-arena area for riding without having to haul out is very nice. That is providing their paddocks don't turn into mud holes like your last barn.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:29 pm

StraightForward wrote:
Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:BBut I can bring in insured dressage trainers as long as we are polite with the other trainers.

That is a big plus to me. Some of the barns here are structured so you have to use one of their trainers, so basically, if you decide you want to train with someone else, or don't want to take lessons, you have to move. Or haul out and also take lessons from one of the barn trainers. It would kind of suck to be at a facility you like, but then want to switch instructors.

I have some irrational fear about being locked in with a trainer too lol. Which is a little bit of a con at barn V. It's closed trainer unless they allow a clinician but I would guess that to be rare. I do think he does a good job but for my long term goals, I'd have to move in a few years. Which isn't awful, but reality.

Barn P and H also are closed trainer but at least they have 3 different ones. I think everywhere else I can bring one.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:34 pm

Kyra's Mom wrote:I too, am jealous of your choices.

I am casually looking for a new barn and so far, out of the 5 I have contacted, I never heard from 4 of them and the one I did and went and visited, there is a long waiting list plus the owners are looking to down size in the next couple of years. I like the current barn EXCEPT the footing is sub par and since the owners are older than me :shock: , I would expect they will shut down within a year or two. There are other barns farther out but I don't want to spend 2 hours a day in the car (round trip).

Personally, for me, I would opt for the maximum movement providing the other big items (food and footing) are relatively equal, especially with the stifle issue. I can tell when Kyra spends time in a stall really quickly and she just has puny stifles...no injury.

Of your choices, I think I would go for Barn V. Having some non-arena area for riding without having to haul out is very nice. That is providing their paddocks don't turn into mud holes like your last barn.

Susan

I actually thought everywhere would be full. I'm pretty shocked my choices. And I'm not including many barns...some I know are $1000 and up for basic board.

Barn V isn't communicating well with me but I hope they will connect again after the horse show.

Barn D has 70 acres so they also have a trail course and trails to ride on. And cows to work too!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:08 pm

Right now I think it's between Barn V, Barn H and Barn D.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:16 pm

The allowing other trainers in thing is a bit of a two edged sword... yes, you can bring your own, if they are prepared to travel, but so can everyone else.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:59 pm

Mountaineer, very true! Barn D seems to be pretty quiet And with enough arenas / big enough arenas that I don't foresee being a huge problem. Unless any of the home trainers are jerks and have ego problems. I'm meeting with the hunter jumper trainer today.

I have a friend that is a groom So she knows everybody and has been the most barns. Her vote as a trainer would be the dressage trainer at Barn H. But she could not speak to the care of barn H.

For facility she picked Barn D and said the hunter jumper trainer is a very soft quiet rider that is really good with young horses.

She said Barn P was a bit of a mess before the new owners took over recently. She thought that there was no way in heck that the fancy hunter jumper trainer would tolerate anybody feeding moldy hay so she thought I was probably seen bales that would be thrown away or fed to the goats/cows.

She did say that Barn V have a good reputation with the trainer there but said she heard the paddocks could get pretty muddy.

I still haven't decided but getting more and more information is nice.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:36 am

Okay I've decided on Barn D. Barn V is taking a bit too long to get back to me and I'm short on time to make the decision. But perhaps I can keep them in mind in the future.

I do think I want to get on a wait list for Barn H. I think
the trainer there sounds ideal. So if I can get him into an outdoor run/stall with run, I'd love to be there.

Barn D just is very clean, good hay, good footing and best turnout. Seems like a quiet barn but with enough to do to keep a young horse stimulated. The h/j trainer is nice and specializes in starting young horses. She also was completely okay with me bringing in a low key Dressage trainer. And I think there is enough room for everyone. Heck if the weather is nice, I could do a dressage lesson in the large open field! Ha ha...

It might not be my forever barn but feels like a good next step for the next 6 months/year.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:24 am

Barn D sounds really nice, good luck with the move, and with getting the lovely Lynx back to full fitness. Having 70 acres to pootle around on will be great!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:01 pm

Well, barn H actually does have an outdoor run with turnout available. So I might be going there. If not now, in October.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:10 am

Sounds like the boarding barn stars are aligning! (Now jingle that they can align for me, too...)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:15 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Sounds like the boarding barn stars are aligning! (Now jingle that they can align for me, too...)

I'm really pretty lucky that I have at least 6 barns that could work for us.

Fingers crossed for you. I hate barn shopping as you might be able to tell. Such a decision!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:41 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Sounds like the boarding barn stars are aligning! (Now jingle that they can align for me, too...)

I am sorry about your drama. only reason I half kill myself to run my own barn is ro be sure the horses get the care they need and that my barn is full of friends.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:27 pm

I hope the barn drama/issues resolves satisfactorily for both of you soon. This thread gives me a bit of angst (mild case) because we are building (still waiting to get permits) in an area of higher elevation to use as our summer get away. Our plan is to take horses and dogs with us. The property is part of a equestrian community so I have the choice of keeping the horses on property if I build a barn or boarding them at the facility shared by the community. The facility is lovely and I've shown there many times over the last 20+ years. People who board there seem happy with the accommodations for the most part; however, turn out is a bit tricky - possible but not ideal. We've gone back and forth with do we build a barn or don't we. One perk initially of this place is that it would be nice to let someone else deal with the day to day care of the horses for 3 months yet I'd still have ready access (less than 1 mile) to them and a nice selection of riding arenas; but, as you can guess I don't deal with barn drama AT ALL. I've tried to leave the decision making to my SO because at the end of the day this property is also an investment and it needs to be turn key (the more it's built to be our dream place or to our exact specifications, the narrower the market for resale it becomes or at least that's been my experience in the past). His last decision though is that the barn is going in (I can still use the facilities as I choose).........in some ways I'm relieved and in other ways it would be nice to have a break from the 5 decades of daily livestock care I've managed. This will be a growing experience either way ;)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:59 pm

Glad your boarding options are plentiful and things are aligning for you and Lynx! Fingers cross for M. and Susan.

I do not have that plethora of choices where I am (but am at a fantastic place).

As an aside, one thing I need to be aware of with turnout is my mare's tendency to be overly attached if turned out with only 1 horse. At our current place, she gets solo turnout (with views of 8 other paddocks) to avoid that issue. She can do a quiet herd, but not a single horse or she has a complete meltdown when the other horse leaves for work. She is fine when I take her away and she leaves the other horse!

I wish I could have fixed this problem, but it really came with her when I got her. Avoid this problem if you can! lol

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:57 am

Exvet, I've spent the past couple of months very nostalgic for the option to just bring 'em home, as I was able to do for 20 years before our move last year, so if you have the opportunity to have a bolt hole of some kind, even if it's not terribly sophisticated and you use the boarding facilities in the main, I'd go for it just to have an escape route. But I'm somewhat traumatized at the moment!

I think I have everyone squared away finally. It'll be much more driving, which isn't great, but P will be with my trainer, and W is going down to Laddie's retirement barn. And I will have a giant source of stress out of my life. One day, when it's in the past and seems amusing, I'll tell you all about it.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:33 am

Truly I am thinking of you all processing change and new (hopefully better) situations!

I have the country back-up of acreage and means to adapt it, but frankly I need a boarding barn given my crazy work life.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:48 pm

I'm so sorry you are dealing with that Mountaineer! So stressful but sounds like it will work out okay. I'm lucky that I'm just moving a horse from training and nothing truly stressful!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:01 pm

We are officially moving to Barn H! He will be in an outdoor run with a shelter And then will get a few hours of turn out on top of that with some buddies and free fed hay. I will be working with the Grand Prix dressage trainer (who seems to do a lovely job with the babies btw) And also will be working with the newer eventing trainer there which I am told specializes in groundwork and green horses. She has evented up to the advanced level. I think that is what it is right? I'm naive there.

The one down side is there is less land there to ride on but you can ride around the property and I think there is a field we can ride in but not sure. Maybe it won't be our forever ever home, but having really good solid help is very exciting! And 7 minutes for my house!

Unfortunately, because I'm kind of an idiot and dated the check too early, barn D did cash my check already. They said they would reimburse me although I did tell them to keep some for the inconvenience. They only were holding the spot for me for like a day or two though before I let them know there's a change of plans. I do feel bad for the hunter jumper trainer there because she seemed very excited to work with my horse and she was so sweet. But the day I came to drop off the check I saw a riding a horse in draw reins. Not to start a debate but that definitely made me feel uneasy. Lol

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:44 pm

Congratulations. At least you have a plan to move forward and can maximize the positives. Looking forward to seeing you and your horse's progress.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:28 pm

I'm glad it all worked out! Re: money- not quite the same but I ended up paying triple board due to some very unfortunate times. Horse had to move same day (long story), I did a "layover" board since it was an urgent situation, then my "final move" board came up so I had paid overlap on 3 barns. It was worth it though to have my horse safe

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:40 am

Rye...good to be ready for any eventuality but it does cost. When (or IF?) I find another barn, I plan to pay for another month at the current barn...providing the reason I am leaving isn't because they closed. Then I have a fall back if the new place just doesn't cut it. I am kind of picky. At least at the current barn I can manage her MY way. It may be hard at a new barn that does full care...I am used to being very hands on ;) .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:54 pm

I know what you mean, Susan, but if you have good hands-on care it can be such a help. I was away from the barn for 6 days last week--which is highly unusual for me---and my mare was absolutely fine. Checked daily, trimmed on schedule, etc.

She wasn't even feral when I returned lol!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:45 pm

Totally can see the benefit of paying bored at an old barn for one month as well. Unfortunately I've paid board at two new barns and it's a little bit too much of a loss for me. So I hope the lady will keep her promise and reimburse me!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:37 pm

Well we arrived! He walked off the trailer great. Hopefully he settles in well.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:49 pm

I know you will have a few sleepless nights until he settles in. After that all will be good!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:35 pm

PaulaO wrote:I know you will have a few sleepless nights until he settles in. After that all will be good!

You got that right, last night was tough. But I went out there today and he was turned out with some buddies and munching on some hay. Seemed perfectly content and happy. One of the nice things about him is that he does seem to settle in easily. A great trait in a horse. But especially a 4 year old!

My daughter has a lesson there tonight so I'll check on him again :)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:34 pm

yay! that is super

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”